Adding fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
'06 SLT doesn't have stock fog lights. I am currently painting the entire truck and when I'm done, I would like to swap out the stock fillers with some smoked fog lights but wonder if it's possible to wire them up factory-like?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Need to see if you have the wiring already in place. If so, you can add the switch then you need the fogs enabled in the computer.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crawl under the bumper. You should see a wire connector hooked up to nothing, one at each side.
Obviously, look near the area of the fog light opening
They're held in with clips to stay up and out of the way

My 2003 ST is pre-wired for fog lights
It's even pre-set up for cruise control!

I attached the fog light parts diagram if you want to take a look

Attachments

• fog.pdf
    124.2 KB · Views: 28

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My '06 ST, unlike most other guys trucks, didn't come pre-wired with fogs. This truck WAS a fleet truck though so its BASE BASE. Definitely check to see if you have the harness, but if you don't you can usually see harnesses advertised on amazon for 20-30 bucks.

Oddly enough when I replaced the old headlight switch with a headlight+fog switch, The light on the cluster came on as if the option is already enabled. If yours doesn't end up working all it would take is a trip to the dealer to have them turn em on (if they can even connect to your truck) or do it yourself with AlfaOBD.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Crawl under the bumper. You should see a wire connector hooked up to nothing, one at each side.
Obviously, look near the area of the fog light opening
They're held in with clips to stay up and out of the way

My 2003 ST is pre-wired for fog lights
It's even pre-set up for cruise control!

I attached the fog light parts diagram if you want to take a look
That's the factory add on kit, not the wiring for a factory install; not needed if pre-wired for it. Ironically even with the change to CAN bus in 2006 the part number for that kit is still the same.
@Clancaster23 if the truck isn't prewired, then you can add them with this kit: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-lamp-kit-fog~82208102ab.html
Google the part number and shop around to find the best price. Will still need to have them enabled in the BCM.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Contact Mpgrimm2 in this forum, he makes custom harnesses and is a wealth of knowledge if you get stuck after purchasing.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So in a prewired truck the only hardware needed is:

2 fog lamps
2 bezels
a few screws
OEM switch w/ fog function

Is that correct?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So in a prewired truck the only hardware needed is:

2 fog lamps
2 bezels
a few screws
OEM switch w/ fog function

Is that correct?
If it is in fact pre-wired, then yes. PCI bus trucks (pre 2006) don't require the extra programming step. Only need bezels if you have the chrome bumper (sport bumpers don't come with bezels).

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about jumper cable, part #14 ?

I can't remember if there are two pre-wired connectors (pass. & driver side)
or just one on the drivers side that connects to the jumper which then connects to both fog lamps

I'm going to crawl under there tomorrow....

b4392d391974bd574a1860781a8aa181.png

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Was raining out when I got home to check so I wasn't out there long but I do believe I saw an end of a harness mounted on the drivers side on the inside of the bumper mount to the right of the hole where the light would go into the bumper. After a quick look, I don't believe I saw one on the same spot on the passenger side but possibly there was one that went across the bumper to the other side. I'll get a better look and possibly pics tomorrow.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
part # 82209437 is the OEM kit for trucks that are pre-wired for fog lamps
It includes the jumper, headlamp/fog switch, fog lamps, bezels, and screws

I forgot it was in my saved searches on ebay, I would get updates when new listings came up
it seems discontinued and very hard to find
I haven't gotten any hits from ebay in a long while

Everything can be pieced together separately though

I think this kit is only for the earlier models too since the switch changed in later years

5332180e872fdfc961bc1dd5c73800b4.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Ok, I did not find any wire going across the bumper. What I did find were two connectors that have nothing in them. One is facing down, that's on the drivers side. The other looks to be plugged into what I think is just a holder, that is bolted into the bumper. Are these what I'm looking for? If not, I don't believe it's wired for the fogs cause I see nothing else near the holes of the bumper to plug in to.

0829201959a.jpg

0829202001.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Ok, so I'm looking at having to get the fog lights, the wiring harness and the new switch. Question, since it's apparently pre-wired, will I have to have them turned on or will they work with just swapping out the switch?

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as I know 06+ 1500 models need to be activated at the dealer

If you have the steel bumper you need the bezels too

Also, screws if the fogs don't include them

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Ok. The lights I'm looking at supposedly come with the bolts and the bezels so I should be set there. Thanks for the help guys.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You'll need either a dealer, someone with a StarScan or AlfaOBD. You're at the wrong end of PA, but if you find yourself in MD I can do it lol. Whoever you get to do it, when they enable the lights in the menu, have them enabled as an export model. This way your fogs will stay on with your high beams.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Ok, so I'm looking at having to get the fog lights, the wiring harness and the new switch. Question, since it's apparently pre-wired, will I have to have them turned on or will they work with just swapping out the switch?

Just plug everything up and give it a try before you spend the money to get it programmed. Some people didn’t have to have it programmed, some do. AlfaOBD works well for our later 3rd gens, and you can also disable fog light high beam dropout like hemilonestar mentioned.

I know I talk it up a lot but Alfa does things that the dealers literally can’t with our trucks anymore since most dealers have their StarScans tucked into a corner collecting dust, or just flat out broke. The new Wi-techs I guess are supposed to be able to connect to 06s, but they’ve had very limited success on mine (they could only access the PCM).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk