Adding Heated Seats to Express (Tapping into factory wiring)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I've been doing some research on adding heat pads to the front seats in my 2013 1500 Express. My original plan was to buy the generic Rostra kits and just wire it out to the fuse box. However, when looking around my truck I found I have a 25A fuse already in the spot for heated seats and I have what I believe to be the factory harness already run under the seat (small square connector not currently hooked up to anything). I am wondering...is it possible to cut the harness off and just pull my power right from there since it is already fused?

I know MOPAR at least used to sell full kits with the pads that would plug into the factory harness and the dash buttons and everything, but I have yet to find any dealers or internet folks who can confirm the MOPAR part number for those to fit a 2013.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I've been doing some research on adding heat pads to the front seats in my 2013 1500 Express. My original plan was to buy the generic Rostra kits and just wire it out to the fuse box. However, when looking around my truck I found I have a 25A fuse already in the spot for heated seats and I have what I believe to be the factory harness already run under the seat (small square connector not currently hooked up to anything). I am wondering...is it possible to cut the harness off and just pull my power right from there since it is already fused?

I know MOPAR at least used to sell full kits with the pads that would plug into the factory harness and the dash buttons and everything, but I have yet to find any dealers or internet folks who can confirm the MOPAR part number for those to fit a 2013.
What cab configuration does your truck have? Regular or Quad/Crew cab?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What cab configuration does your truck have? Regular or Quad/Crew cab?

sorry...crew cab. Front seats are the 60/40/60 with the jumpseat in the middle and no floor console

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sorry...crew cab. Front seats are the 60/40/60 with the jumpseat in the middle and no floor console
If your truck is a Quad or Crew cab unfortunately your truck doesn't have any of the correct wiring running into the cab. All of the fuses are present in the fuse box but there is nothing connected to them. The mopar kit comes with it's own harness and buttons and does not use the same button panel that the factory equipped trucks do. I have seen the Mopar kit but have no first hand experience as to how it installs into the truck, but it definitely doesn't use the same power source as the factory setup. It may come with a connector that actually runs to the fuse box but I'm not sure. I considered buying the mopar kit before I actually did the full conversion on my Express and installed the factory heated/vented seats. It appeared that the actual buttons in the Mopar kit were held on by adhesive and there was no way to hide the actual wire that ran to them and I didn't care for that. I used to see them for sale alot on Ebay but I haven't seen it in a while. If you can't find the Mopar kit or it's too expensive I would recommend looking into a quality aftermarket seat heater kit. There are quite a few out there that are great quality and have very nice buttons but of course you are going to have to cut holes to install them. I have seen a lot of people use the small area under the cubby on the right side in your dash where some trucks have the 110 outlet and use that to mount their switches. It's a very inexpensive part to replace if you screw up cutting your holes or decide you want to take the which is out later.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Rick.

I managed to get a factory set of heated front seats for my '17, but the rears were only available heated in a limited configuration (which means hard to find and expensive when you do)

I bought a couple sets of the Roadwire aftermarket pads...I havent installed them yet and they seem OK, would have been nice to get nicer controls though. I may look for nicer looking ones and sell my Roadwires.

I also looked into trying to mimick the factory functionality using aftermarket pads but was not able to find a set of aftermarket pads that have the leads the factory setup has...there seems to be a feedback circuit to/from the heated seat module, so the module can modulate the current going to the pads. All the aftermarket pads Ive found seem to do that modulation internally, so you cant connect them directly to the module except maybe to steal power.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed some aftermarket heating pads in my express last night! Worked out great. I grabbed power from the 12v outlet that's only on with the key on. (The one on the driver's side) and I put the switch down on the side by the seat lever. I even did it without taking the seats out. The bottom seat kind of releases to gain access from the backside of the seat cover, and the seat back reclines far enough that after you release the little table holding the cover on, you can shove the pad up inside. I just dog eared the pull tabs that expose the adhesive so that after I had the pads in position you reach up and pull the strip off and stick the pad into place.

No messing with pulling the seats out, no messing with hog rings. Super simple

These are the pads I bought:
WATERCARBON Tech Era Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit Hi/Lo Setting, 2 Seats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2LIRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bPU8BbHSGT08Baa757baae5ae99448a54021f640f0796.jpg930b622d10ba10aaabd2d6af763e4000.jpg2c791a28cb3caeb482f612a70e04f277.jpgeeae8677448d9977573652cbba70cee3.jpg84c72ad2ccb8120f61340fa1cd145a68.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with Rick.

I managed to get a factory set of heated front seats for my '17, but the rears were only available heated in a limited configuration (which means hard to find and expensive when you do)

I bought a couple sets of the Roadwire aftermarket pads...I havent installed them yet and they seem OK, would have been nice to get nicer controls though. I may look for nicer looking ones and sell my Roadwires.

I also looked into trying to mimick the factory functionality using aftermarket pads but was not able to find a set of aftermarket pads that have the leads the factory setup has...there seems to be a feedback circuit to/from the heated seat module, so the module can modulate the current going to the pads. All the aftermarket pads Ive found seem to do that modulation internally, so you cant connect them directly to the module except maybe to steal power.

So you are saying only some limited had heated rear seats? One I'm looking at buying is a 2017 Laramie, and seller said its heated.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you are saying only some limited had heated rear seats? One I'm looking at buying is a 2017 Laramie, and seller said its heated.

Most likely as long as it was a Limited *crew cab* you're OK. I always ask for the VIN to be sure, then run it through here:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin= with the VIN number after the equals sign. Then just search for "heat" on the build sheet and see if second row heated seats are listed.

You can also check the window sticker here https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= (same deal, add the VIN after equals) but I like the build sheet better because its more detailed.

As long as its truly from a Limited crew cab its most likely heated. What Ive been finding are listings that say "leather, rear, heated" but they are actually from a *sport* crew cab which is VINYL and not leather, nor are they heated.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most likely as long as it was a Limited *crew cab* you're OK. I always ask for the VIN to be sure, then run it through here:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin= with the VIN number after the equals sign. Then just search for "heat" on the build sheet and see if second row heated seats are listed.

You can also check the window sticker here https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= (same deal, add the VIN after equals) but I like the build sheet better because its more detailed.

As long as its truly from a Limited crew cab its most likely heated. What Ive been finding are listings that say "leather, rear, heated" but they are actually from a *sport* crew cab which is VINYL and not leather, nor are they heated.

Thanks man I will ask him for the vin and check it out.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I just installed some aftermarket heating pads in my express last night! Worked out great. I grabbed power from the 12v outlet that's only on with the key on. (The one on the driver's side) and I put the switch down on the side by the seat lever. I even did it without taking the seats out. The bottom seat kind of releases to gain access from the backside of the seat cover, and the seat back reclines far enough that after you release the little table holding the cover on, you can shove the pad up inside. I just dog eared the pull tabs that expose the adhesive so that after I had the pads in position you reach up and pull the strip off and stick the pad into place.

No messing with pulling the seats out, no messing with hog rings. Super simple

These are the pads I bought:
WATERCARBON Tech Era Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit Hi/Lo Setting, 2 Seats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2LIRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bPU8BbHSGT08Baa757baae5ae99448a54021f640f0796.jpg930b622d10ba10aaabd2d6af763e4000.jpg2c791a28cb3caeb482f612a70e04f277.jpgeeae8677448d9977573652cbba70cee3.jpg84c72ad2ccb8120f61340fa1cd145a68.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Did close to the same install. I used the same heating pads and they have been in since last year. All I did different was the location of my switch is a little bit more forward of your placement. I would recommend the heaters. So far so good.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man I will ask him for the vin and check it out.
All Limited trucks have the heated rear seats. It's standard equipment on these trucks. All Crew Cab Laramie trucks with the center console also have heated rear seats. The Laramie trucks with a jump seat do not have heated rear seats. Unfortunately the Quad Cab is the only configuration that does not offer heated rear seats in the Laramie no matter wether or not you have the center console and unfortunately the quad cab is what I have.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram and others

I havent been able to get a hold of a heated rear seat, but looking at the parts diagrams, I feel like it might be very possible that the rear heated seat pads themselves might actually fit OK on the quad cab rear seat. But since its hard enough to find a rear heated seat, and even harder to find one at a decent price, I could never verify. The idea was to find one, pull the covers off and just measure the amount of pad that is there. If they would fit, I think they are just "stuck" on so you could gently remove and transfer them.

The switches and wiring are probably the easy part. If you dont have a center console you would have to get creative with the switch mounting, but I believe the wiring would be pretty basic and something you could DIY or reach out to MPMods for help with. The pads alone, however, are very expensive (even more expensive than the front seat pads!!) so to use all OEM parts is pretty cost prohibitive and thats assuming they fit OK on the quad cab seat in the first place.

I spoke to 00/RT over the weekend and he thinks the extra wire(s) are for a feedback circuit, which would be hard enough to mimick with aftermarket pads that we're just better off using aftermarket pads and switches so all thats necessary is pulling +12V from another circuit (he suggested the power seat circuit since its only really drawing when the seats are being moved).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had considered doing the switch and installing the factory rear heated Crew Cab pads in My Quad Cab seats and figuring out where to mount the factory switches since I have the jump seat but I decided it would be way to much money/time to invest for something that would rarely get used. If I do ever decide to install heated rear seats I will just install aftermarket pads and switches like you mentioned.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I really wanted it to work too but doesnt seem like it will happen.

My only question is where to run a relay so that it only allows power when the key is in RUN, not off, accessory or start.

And where to mount the aftermarket switches without causing headache down the road (if I ever want to pull the system out).

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone attempted to do heated seats with aftermarket pads using the factory setup?
Heated seats and wheel was one of the things I wanted when I bought my truck. Unfortunately the one I bought had most everything I wanted EXCEPT that package. I've sucked it up for two winters now but I'm over it.
I found a set of 2018 Laramie seats out of a truck that was wrecked at the dealership (at least that's what's I'm being told) so they are in excellent condition. Supposed to pick them up tomorrow for $850. Hope that is a decent deal. They have heating and cooling. Problem is, I don't want the cooling feature. My wife has them in her 17 grand Cherokee and they don't do much for me. I'd like to just duplicate the factory wiring and piece the parts together since I have katzkin leather and would prefer my interior to match.
If I can get it all to work I guess it's a bonus but I'd prefer to just do the heated seats and wheel. I know, I'm weird. Also, if anyone has done this on a BigHorn how bad was the wiring?
I've seen a lot of write ups on the express and tradesman but nothing on bighorns. Thanks!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone attempted to do heated seats with aftermarket pads using the factory setup?
Heated seats and wheel was one of the things I wanted when I bought my truck. Unfortunately the one I bought had most everything I wanted EXCEPT that package. I've sucked it up for two winters now but I'm over it.
I found a set of 2018 Laramie seats out of a truck that was wrecked at the dealership (at least that's what's I'm being told) so they are in excellent condition. Supposed to pick them up tomorrow for $850. Hope that is a decent deal. They have heating and cooling. Problem is, I don't want the cooling feature. My wife has them in her 17 grand Cherokee and they don't do much for me. I'd like to just duplicate the factory wiring and piece the parts together since I have katzkin leather and would prefer my interior to match.
If I can get it all to work I guess it's a bonus but I'd prefer to just do the heated seats and wheel. I know, I'm weird. Also, if anyone has done this on a BigHorn how bad was the wiring?
I've seen a lot of write ups on the express and tradesman but nothing on bighorns. Thanks!

Whoa, thats a deal and a half IMHO. Out of a Laramie they must be leather, heated and ventilated. Does that include the rear seat? because thats even crazier. And if it was a Laramie Crew Cab it might be a heated rear seat too!

If your truck didnt come with them originally, you wont have the hard buttons in the dash, so to use them you would use the soft buttons in the head unit, once you add the sales codes (AlfaOBD FTW!)

While adding the sales codes, there are separate ones for heated seats and ventilated seats. If you really dont want ventilation, just leave the code as-is. Activate the appropriate heated seat code(s) and you should see the controls on the head unit.

The rears might be a bit more complicated, as you would need the switches, but at the price you are paying they are probably worth the investment.

If you have a crew cab with floor console, the necessary wiring *might* be there, Im not sure. The rear heated seat switches connect to the console harness, but since they were only available on crew cabs, you would need a crew cab to have a chance at having the correct harness. If quad cab, aside from the fact that a crew cab rear seat is too "big", you would need to custom build a harness to connect the switches and heaters to.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's just the front seats. I wouldn't have to ask if it was a good deal if it was for the rear as well
They look awesome from the pics. I plan on buying a new or used switch bank to activate them. I'm still under my factory warranty so unsure if will void anything using the alphaOBD. Since the BigHorns have the heated seat option I doubt it would raise suspicion unless I had an electrical issue. I just cringe a little at what's required to get them to work on the lower trim models. Hoping not as bad on my truck. I'm skilled mechanically but the thought of hacking into a perfectly fine $40k truck scares me a bit lol.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just the front seats. I wouldn't have to ask if it was a good deal if it was for the rear as well
They look awesome from the pics. I plan on buying a new or used switch bank to activate them. I'm still under my factory warranty so unsure if will void anything using the alphaOBD. Since the BigHorns have the heated seat option I doubt it would raise suspicion unless I had an electrical issue. I just cringe a little at what's required to get them to work on the lower trim models. Hoping not as bad on my truck. I'm skilled mechanically but the thought of hacking into a perfectly fine $40k truck scares me a bit lol.

If you snap a few pics of the connectors under the drivers front seat, the folks here can tell you if you have what is necessary already in place.

I have a '17 Big Horn quad cab and my connectors were ready to go. I did not get the heated seat package with my truck, same as you (they had a good deal and I didnt want to try and find one with just the extra 1 package).

$850 for excellent (or even good) leather, heated and ventilated is a great deal even without the rears. Usually shipping kills the deals but if you can get them local, even better. Keep in mind the passenger one is probably power operated now, too....not just the driver.

I got a screaming deal on *cloth* heated seats for my truck, but they arent ventilated nor is the passenger one power. So I will re-cover them with a custom katzkin set that I already ordered. Overall Ill have about 1K into everything, but not ventilated (I can live with that). Im using aftermarket heating pads for the rear seat, as adding the stock setup doesnt seem feasible unless I can find a cheap rear heated seat to steal the pads from.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's really not bad cost wise. I was in the same boat, got a great deal on my truck at the end of the year and didn't want to chance loosing it. Thought I could deal without the heated seats since my previous Ram was a 2500 tradesman. Problem was, when I went to leather my ass got cold real quick! How hard are the heated wheels to find? Seen a few on here but kinda pricey. Also see the clock spring is a pricey item as well since you can't reuse them. Geez.. what have I started