Adding OEM Trailer brake controller with AlfaOBD- Manual braking not working-HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Afternoon everyone.
2015 Ram Big Horn
Added the OEM TBC after being tired of banging my leg on the Tekonsha :)
Module and TBC I bought on ebay, NIB, part # 82214492AB

Did the following, but the manual brake slider isn't working (doesn't light up on dash when engaging, doesn't engage the brakes. Trailer brakes and gain work fine when you press the brake pedal. IS there a module I forgot to turn on? Here is what I turned on in AlfaOBD, plus one other thing that made the 8.4 show trailer 1-4 in the settings.

Steps I followed:
Trailer select csm
Select “yes”
Trailer name csm
Select “yes”
Trailer type csm
Select “yes”
P/T chassis net-ITBM/HWM integrated trailer brake module
Select “enable”

Any ideas?
Thanks!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Afternoon everyone.
2015 Ram Big Horn
Added the OEM TBC after being tired of banging my leg on the Tekonsha :)
Module and TBC I bought on ebay, NIB, part # 82214492AB

Did the following, but the manual brake slider isn't working (doesn't light up on dash when engaging, doesn't engage the brakes. Trailer brakes and gain work fine when you press the brake pedal. IS there a module I forgot to turn on? Here is what I turned on in AlfaOBD, plus one other thing that made the 8.4 show trailer 1-4 in the settings.

Steps I followed:
Trailer select csm
Select “yes”
Trailer name csm
Select “yes”
Trailer type csm
Select “yes”
P/T chassis net-ITBM/HWM integrated trailer brake module
Select “enable”

Any ideas?
Thanks!

CBC Features:
Trailer Tow Present: Yes

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you double check to make sure you plugged it in? 2 in to the controller, 1 in to the manual switch.

5 settings to enable it.

1. CBC Features:Trailer Tow Present
2. Cust.set.menu2: Trailer Selected CSM Present
3. Cust.set.menu2: Trailer Name CSM Present
4. Cust.set.menu2: Trailer Type CSM Present
5. P/T Chassis Net: ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module

OP
OP
U

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. Everything works except the manual slider. All 5 of those are enabled /yes.

OP
OP
U

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well pro tip… second plug in the module wasn’t fully seated. Removed it and it wasn’t clipped in. Plugged in and locked. All works well now! Lol

Ron1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well pro tip… second plug in the module wasn’t fully seated. Removed it and it wasn’t clipped in. Plugged in and locked. All works well now! Lol
I was going to add here. I just bought a trailer and installed the modules, BUT I did not have the computer programmed yet and had to move the trailer thinking that brakes would not work. To my suprise I did have trailer brakes but they were set at a pre programmed amount and was not able to adjust the gain +-. Even the slider worked. Now that it is programmed I have everything adjustable and shows up on displays where they belong. Glad you got yours working!!

Bdorge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I have the same problem as UrbanKnight but I made sure everything is plugged in and installed three different kits from Mopar thinking the module was defective. I try to use the controller and nothing happens. I scanned for codes and I get
U0137 Lost Communication with Trailer Brake Control Module. Checked all the plugs, wires, and fuses. Still no luck. I am lost on what to check next. Any thoughts?

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Literally just got out of the truck after installing the module. On my '18 Rebel I put in the "AB" kit, versus the "AC" kit. Not sure how much it matters.

I did not "properly" do the reset after programming (brain fart mostly). The game buttons work, but I can't select the trailer name/type, and the manual slider doesn't work. But, do I need to have something on the trailer plug? I had bought it with plans to help a buddy tow his Avalanche to a shop, but the plans fell through after I had purchased. (I had planned on getting the controller anyway, so "meh".)

Just got tired of trying to troubleshoot without knowing if the analog slider/trailer name stuff only worked with a trailer connected.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get the Programming done ?
AlfaOBD. Did it myself in the driveway.

Edit: going to head out in a few, and will see if it just needed a reboot.

Also hoping the P1009 clears. I think it's the weird little fan thing behind the knee board, which I unplugged while I was working yesterday. If it isn't, then I have no idea why it triggered on me yesterday.

Lolly20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I know this is an older post but…

I bought a used 2016 1500 Ecodiesel and wanted to add an “OEM style” trailer brake. Bought one for $67 off eBay, put Alfaobd on my Android tablet and went to work. Got everything done and the trailer brake showed up on the dash but kept giving me “no trailer brake connected”, even though it was. Got pissed off, threw some stuff, then grabbed my test light. Found 2 fuses popped under the hood. Both were micro fuses (forget the location numbers). Everything works perfectly now. Guess my point is, don’t instinctively blame the new module or your programming. As advanced and technological as these things are you still need to check the basics if something’s not working.