Adding Rain Sense Wipers with AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Jimmy07. Good to know.

That makes me wonder then, if I wanted to add rain sense, I guess there is another module that would be a combination of the humidity sensor and a rain sensor ? If not, I am not sure how you would tuck the rain sensor under the rear view mirror cover along with the humidity sensor.
I’ll look at the schematic in a bit. When you look at the windshield from the outside, is there a little “window” looking in at that sensor.

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel; 2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
I’ll look at the schematic in a bit. When you look at the windshield from the outside, is there a little “window” looking in at that sensor.

Jimmy07, attached is a picture. It looks like you can see a little eye. If you have the ability to look at a schematic, would love to know what you find out. Thanks for your help.

rainsensor.png

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Jimmy07, attached is a picture. It looks like you can see a little eye. If you have the ability to look at a schematic, would love to know what you find out. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 204158
More investigating, and it appears that is, in fact the rain/humidity sensor. Looking at the BCM configuration of a DT ram with rain sense wipers, you need to enable the following:
VehConfig 2 rain sensor present
CustSetMenu 1 rain sensitive wipers CSM
2014 CBC I/O rain sensor module #2 present
2014 CBC I/O humidity long sensor present.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ghost Ram installed the rain sensor and was able to get it all working correctly so it is possible. I have already done the Auto High beam. I am going to install mine as well but I'm waiting intil my front windshield gets a few more chips in it to justify the price of a new windshield that has the correct mounting bracket and place for the sensor to mount. GhostRam actually bought the parts and made a vinyl template with a hole he cut out to install it on his stock windshield. According to his write up in the known working codes list he only had to enable two codes. If I remember correctly enabling some of the other codes caused issues in his BCM and some DTC codes. This is a copy of his post. Haven seen him in the forum in a long time. Hopefully he is doing ok. Another thing to note is the humidity sensor and rain sensor are two different parts with two different connectors. rai8d1b3bc32cd61bfae7b1b2258f02b8ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
More investigating, and it appears that is, in fact the rain/humidity sensor. Looking at the BCM configuration of a DT ram with rain sense wipers, you need to enable the following:

Awesome !!! Thank you so much for looking in to this for me. I can't thank you enough. I am going to enable those options and I will report back.

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Ghost Ram installed the rain sensor and was able to get it all working correctly so it is possible. I have already done the Auto High beam. I am going to install mine as well but I'm waiting intil my front windshield gets a few more chips in it to justify the price of a new windshield that has the correct mounting bracket and place for the sensor to mount. GhostRam actually bought the parts and made a vinyl template with a hole he cut out to install it on his stock windshield. According to his write up in the known working codes list he only had to enable two codes. If I remember correctly enabling some of the other codes caused issues in his BCM and some DTC codes. This is a copy of his post. Haven seen him in the forum in a long time. Hopefully he is doing ok. Another thing to note is the humidity sensor and rain sensor are two different parts with two different connectors. rai8d1b3bc32cd61bfae7b1b2258f02b8ba.jpg

This is the post that I followed when I noticed that part tucked up under my rear view mirror cover. Based on what Jimmy07 posted above, the DT trucks need a few more options enabled.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the post that I followed when I noticed that part tucked up under my rear view mirror cover. Based on what Jimmy07 posted above, the DT trucks need a few more options enabled.
Oh sorry didn't realize it wasn't a 1500 with the two seperate sensors. Hopefully you can get it to work with the additional codes.

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi

I made the changes last night. Kinda bummed, it produces the same result. It must be the part. Even though the part # suggests it is the rain sensor module, there must be something else that has to be enabled or there is another part. Alfa does report a DTC code of U0231: Lost Communication with Rain Sensing Module. In addition to that error, the Electronic Parking Brake MIL shows in the EVIC.

RainSenseMIL.png

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I made the changes last night. Kinda bummed, it produces the same result. It must be the part. Even though the part # suggests it is the rain sensor module, there must be something else that has to be enabled or there is another part. Alfa does report a DTC code of U0231: Lost Communication with Rain Sensing Module. In addition to that error, the Electronic Parking Brake MIL shows in the EVIC.

View attachment 204319
That fault can only be - faulty rain sensor module, run-acc short, ground short, or lin bus short. You have the module, and you have the three wires going to it. Let’s see if that LIN Bus wire goes all the way to the BCM. There is only one connector in between the rain sensor and the BCM, so you’ll have to see if those same three wires are populated in both halves of that connector.

You’ll be looking at these connector halves for pin positions 5,6,&7- 8ivHPHy.jpg

This is where the connector is located. Should be able to pop off the panel on the side of the glove box- aUvaMxz.jpg opc4EbN.jpg

Here’s the schematic- 0vWnGMs.jpg

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
That fault can only be - faulty rain sensor module, run-acc short, ground short, or lin bus short. You have the module, and you have the three wires going to it. Let’s see if that LIN Bus wire goes all the way to the BCM. There is only one connector in between the rain sensor and the BCM, so you’ll have to see if those same three wires are populated in both halves of that connector.

Thank you, Jimmy07. I have some homework. This will take me sometime to trace it out. Thank you for all of your help. I will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Quick update: I have to take my truck in to the dealer. It looks like when they installed the bed lights in the truck, they messed up the wiring on my BCM. My hazard lights will no longer come on. However, if I press and hold the button on the bed lights in the rear of my bed, the hazards will flash.

The wiring that is messed up is on the C7 connector on the BCM. I have a feeling this might solve my issue above.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Quick update: I have to take my truck in to the dealer. It looks like when they installed the bed lights in the truck, they messed up the wiring on my BCM. My hazard lights will no longer come on. However, if I press and hold the button on the bed lights in the rear of my bed, the hazards will flash.

The wiring that is messed up is on the C7 connector on the BCM. I have a feeling this might solve my issue above.
Just a simple check you can do before you go to the dealer- reach up at that C7 connector and see if the lever is pulled down all the way, clamping the connector in. When I was messing around with adding a bed light switch, I forgot to plug the connector back in. That was the behavior of the bed lights- they would just flash briefly.

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Just a simple check you can do before you go to the dealer- reach up at that C7 connector and see if the lever is pulled down all the way, clamping the connector in. When I was messing around with adding a bed light switch, I forgot to plug the connector back in. That was the behavior of the bed lights- they would just flash briefly.

Thanks, Jimmy07. I will check it out.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I finally installed my Rain Sensing wipers today. My buddy owns glass shop and I help him out on occasion so he offered to buy the correct windshield and we did it together. I already had the Rain Sensor but never got around to doing it with the standard window because it wasn't to thrilled about having to mount the sensor that far away from the mirror in order to have it be mounted away from the window frit and I also finally wanted my Humidity Sensor for my ATC to be mounted correct to the windshield instead of being shoved into the headliner. In any case it's all done and seems to work great. A few notes. First off putting a windshield in a lifted truck is a P.I.T.A. the window will come with the Rain Sensing mounting pad. Make sure you clean out any dust or lint that may have collected in it before you install the Rain Sensor. You have to have the correct mirror harness. You have to have an Auto High Beam mirror in order for the Rain Sensor to fit. You have to install the mirror before the rain sensor and then twist the mirror until it almost releases from the window in order to attach the Rain Sensor to the mounting pad and then twist the mirror back into position. You will install the upper and lower mirror cover last. Enable the codes with the Alfa OBD and your all done. aec8e54f85e808467eb863b14628f393.jpg396259d4ca79ad29d1d961b2c8352f2c.jpg5e6260bca8998ca9406476f94d6208eb.jpg292b1ba637ef5e44fe11a494f60b552f.jpg5f4566038e023ab0bb9393b7920c897c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VeneV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi to everyone,
tried to read all posts carefully and mostly got what i have to do to upgrade my truck with rain sensing wipers. Still not shure if my 2016 1500 Laramie with factory installed humidity sensor have the connector for the rain sensor, but in the next few days will open the cover and will see.
Doing my research for the "project" i found some interesting information. Sorry if somebody have already done it before but i felt obliged to share the information.
It looks that the sensor itself is installed not only in FCA/Ram vehicles but in Mitsubishi as well. The Mitsubishi OEM P/N for it is 8634A062. Going ahead with the research i've found a kit including a cap that may be installed in any vehicle:Link to AliExpress with the kit.
I hope this information will be helpfull for all that try to upgrade their truck with this usefull feature.
Can actually some of you guys confirm if the factory humidity sensor wiring will have the rain sensor connector?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hi to everyone,
tried to read all posts carefully and mostly got what i have to do to upgrade my truck with rain sensing wipers. Still not shure if my 2016 1500 Laramie with factory installed humidity sensor have the connector for the rain sensor, but in the next few days will open the cover and will see.
Doing my research for the "project" i found some interesting information. Sorry if somebody have already done it before but i felt obliged to share the information.
It looks that the sensor itself is installed not only in FCA/Ram vehicles but in Mitsubishi as well. The Mitsubishi OEM P/N for it is 8634A062. Going ahead with the research i've found a kit including a cap that may be installed in any vehicle:Link to AliExpress with the kit.
I hope this information will be helpfull for all that try to upgrade their truck with this usefull feature.
Can actually some of you guys confirm if the factory humidity sensor wiring will have the rain sensor connector?

PN for the 14-16 1500 mirror header harness with Humidity and rain sensor can be found in the following thread if it's not already listed in the first few posts by @STecoD & @Ricks Ram ...

- DIY: 2013-2018 RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

Edit:
- Mirror Header harness (premium, ie 14-16 1500's with Humidity & Rain Sensor plugs) : - 68207371AD

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Absolutely blows my mind that you guys successfully added this to a truck that it didn’t come factory with, and yet my truck that did come with the option from factory doesn’t work like it’s supposed to. Everything I have done to attempt to remedy the symptoms has proven futile.

Rip426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I am new to Ram forums, I find it very interesting and informing. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn, and I have installed the Auto High Beam control mirror in my truck, used Alpha OBD to activate it and it works great. Now I would like to install the Auto Wipers, but I am wondering what part number harness to use. I have dual climate control with humidity sensor in my truck, factory installed. The auto High beam mirror I got from a 2016 Ram came with the harness from the 2016, which does not have the humidity sensor plug, but has the auto wiper plug.
My question is, when I compare the wiring between my original harness with humidity sensor but no auto wiper plug, and the 2016 harness without the humidity sensor plug but has rain sensor, it seems they use the same wires?
In the pics I included, the 2 wires on the left of the plug in pinouts #2 and #6 on my truck (I think the colors are (#2;Pink with yellow trace, #6;Orange with blue trace) go to humidity sensor, where as the harness that came with the mirror (harness on table top) those #2 and #6 wires are the same color, but go to the rain sensor, so, does that mean I just need to splice the auto wiper sensor to my harness? Another thing is on my harness, in pinout #1 I have an wire, where the other harness does not.
Any help would be appreciated, and hopefully helpful to others running into this issue. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 20230520_134351.jpg
    20230520_134351.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230520_134133.jpg
    20230520_134133.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230520_130601.jpg
    20230520_130601.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Forum statistics