Additives.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walke405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. Im making this post just to see what types of additives, if any, that you guys may put in your gas tank or perhaps in the crank case as well. Octane booster, sea foam, injector cleaner, marvel mystery oil, etc. How did those additives work out for you? Just trying to get a general consensus of the group and maybe try some of them. The only one I’ve tried is marvel mystery oil and I feel like it helps a bit. All suggestions are welcome.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While Ram doesn't recommend anything specifically, I've treated my fuel tank to an injector cleaner about twice a year or about every 6K miles. Never had a fuel system failure or an injector problem as a result.

I don't add anything to the oil but now that I have a diesel I might after it gets some miles on it and I need to clean it out.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I see our customers do is run Red Line oil which is a proven great oil for the Hemi then run some Red Line Fuel system treatment 2-3 times per year depending on the type of mileage they do

Lilkenny99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 1500
Engine
I use Lucas oil heavy duty oil treatment that stuff is great. It helps eliminate dry starts and you’ll actually hear the difference. Stuff is very thick though, it took like 5 minutes to put one quart in... As for fuel additives like mad dog said few times year try getting an all in one, some claim to clean just the fuel system and other say also combustion chamber, valves and runners.

Klink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone see a difference in overall mpg using octane booster or other additive? I put 91 in since Costco only has 91 or 87

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently started using MMO in my gas. It has made the Hemi a little more quiet. I haven't tracked MPG's or anything after adding it. But it does seem to run a little smoother and quieter. It's super cheap at Walmart, so that's a plus.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
In my Ecodiesel, I run a mix of Hotshot EDT and Archoil AR6200 every fuel fillup. I'm running this strictly for preventative maintenance. While the manufacturers and some of my customers claim improved MPG, I have never seen measurable improvement. I use Archoil's AR9100 with every oil change, again as preventative maintenance.

In My Ford 6.0 diesel, I use PRI-D every fuel fillup. This truck sits for months at a time so PRI-D is a must for fuel stabilization. I use Archoil's AR9100 with every oil change which is a must in the 6.0 to prevent or cure stiction. Also as preventative maintenance.

Klink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll check these out but I have heard they do more damage in the long run then they do for preventative type stuff. Idk. Friends tell me it’s ok to put certain types in.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
There are products that have been tested only to find they do nothing and there are products that are proven to be effective. However, I have never heard of a case where a legitimate additive "they do more damage in the long run" or caused any problem.

Here is my personal example of PRI as a fuel stabilizer/restorer:

I have a trailered 24' Robalo boat powered by a new 250 HP Evinrude E-Tec Outboard and a 118 gallon fuel tank. Due to medical problems I did not run the boat for 4 years and 8 months.

We wanted to take the boat out but had some concerns about the gas quality.
Many experienced boaters, boat mechanics and even Evinrude, told me to unload the old fuel regardless of what treatment I had used. PRI said run it! They were confident and explained how PRI is used in ocean freighters, large building emergency generators, etc. with never a problem.

So, we tried with the old gas. I was very surprised when the engine started instantly and ran as though the gas was fresh. We ran at wake speed, slow speed (approx 15 mph), mid range (approx 25 mph) and full speed (approx 40 mph) in the bay and on the ocean for approx 5 hours. Not once did the engine act up, sputter, hesitate or malfunction in any way. We also stopped and restarted several times. Each time, the engine started instantly, before the starter made a second turn. They were right, PRI works!

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I happen to like using the following on all my vehicles: Amsoil P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive (I use in conjunction with every oil change), Marvel Mystery Oil (as needed, helps frees up sticky injectors), and BG 44K (once a year to clean the fuel system). It all depends on what I'm trying to achieve with the vehicle and its general condition.

Last edited:

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have heard that Slick 50 is the only oil additive that is approved by the FFA for use in piston engine aircraft.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone see a difference in overall mpg using octane booster or other additive? I put 91 in since Costco only has 91 or 87

Yeah use the 91, or 89 if you go somewhere else...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We recently found out some killer results with redline si-1, after we saw these video's, ram forum member hemi 395 bought a boroscope and did a test, the final results aren't in yet, but soon. He will do a thread in 4 gen when he finishes test soom. There are a ton of video's on pour ins and they don't really work, until now.

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
Ive had good results with Techron fuel system cleaner.To me it seems Seafoam does nothing in any engine Ive had,large engines or even lawn equipment.But I run non ethanol in all my small engines anyway.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram forum member @Hemi395 pics, this was one week of cleaning. He had tried several cleaners before redline si-1, obviously they didnt work if you see the before pics. One before and one after, you see the pistons being cleaned after a week of use and the truck don't get driven much. Nick at gotexhaust sells the stuff. I will update pics when I get them, he just started this test, so we will see what 2 bottles and 3 weeks will do to this carbon.

full-76018-37987-p11.jpg

full-76018-37989-p33.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye