Adjustable receivers, what do you like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for an adjustable 2" receiver for my 1500. I've always gotten away with a 2" drop previously. But now that I'm on 35's and have a small light weight dirt bike trailer added to the fleet I would like something closer to a 5" drop to level the small trailer, then the 2" for our landscaping trailer and enclosed trailer. I don't need (or want) a multi-ball setup, everything is 2" in the fleet. I was looking at this Rhino hitch, looks nice but seems a bit over engineered. A simple vertical slide would work but I'm trying to research before I add one to my next shopping list.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rhino-Hitc...djustable+2+inch+hitch&qid=1619576847&sr=8-54

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Buy a quality hitch that matches the capacity of your truck, and you'll buy it once. You probably only need a 6 inch drop to suit all needs. I like the B&W adjustable hitches with the three balls. Seems like I need the smaller ball once or twice a year. But now I have all three it is an easy switch with the B&W hitches. And they are easy to stow away when not in use.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There are a LOT of them out there, and for what you're planning to do some of the cheaper ones will work good. I have a cheap one right now because I needed an adjustable hitch for a 2 5/16" ball to pull a trailer between two different trucks, and I needed it right away. I don't really like it but I'm not towing heavy with it so it works. Now that I've got some time, I plan on getting a much better one like a B&W, I don't really need the WeighSafe, since I am pretty good about balancing a load on the trailer.

Still, the advice above is good - buy a good one once and be done with it.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for an adjustable 2" receiver for my 1500. I've always gotten away with a 2" drop previously. But now that I'm on 35's and have a small light weight dirt bike trailer added to the fleet I would like something closer to a 5" drop to level the small trailer, then the 2" for our landscaping trailer and enclosed trailer. I don't need (or want) a multi-ball setup, everything is 2" in the fleet. I was looking at this Rhino hitch, looks nice but seems a bit over engineered. A simple vertical slide would work but I'm trying to research before I add one to my next shopping list.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rhino-Hitch-2″-Aluminum-Adjustable/dp/B07MG3JFRB/ref=sr_1_54?dchild=1&keywords=adjustable+2+inch+hitch&qid=1619576847&sr=8-54
Bulletproof Bulletproof Bulletproof!!!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bulletproof Bulletproof Bulletproof!!!
Yep, this above. I researched the heck out of them when I bought my new HD. Bulletproof just seemed like the options and ease of use was best in my opinion. I spoke with them over the phone and they worked with my set up to get me the correct drop height, which using online instructions elsewhere I would have gone with the wrong one. They were great to work with and I couldn't recommend them more. The hitch worked great and it all stores under my rear seat when not in use. Good luck.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, this above. I researched the heck out of them when I bought my new HD. Bulletproof just seemed like the options and ease of use was best in my opinion. I spoke with them over the phone and they worked with my set up to get me the correct drop height, which using online instructions elsewhere I would have gone with the wrong one. They were great to work with and I couldn't recommend them more. The hitch worked great and it all stores under my rear seat when not in use. Good luck.
customer service with bulletproof is excellent. i mean they went above and beyond. i agree w @tron67j on that. i would seriously give them a call.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
customer service with bulletproof is excellent. i mean they went above and beyond. i agree w @tron67j on that. i would seriously give them a call.
Just saw in another thread that a person with a bulletproof hitch and a weight distribution hitch connector broke their locking pin when using the weight distribution hitch connector. I read through the bulletproof website and I missed that print, it is pretty visible so it's on me, that you cannot use the locking pins on that weight distribution hitch connector. It appears the regular pins can be used on that connector, not sure why that is.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
lucky it did not break but still bad.

0429211338.jpg

Gearjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue and bought a Reese Class 111, 4 position adjustable ball mount. It is rated for 5,000lbs & 500lb tongue weight. It was not expensive. I see Harbor freight has a Haul-Master that is similar.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
lucky it did not break but still bad.

View attachment 245906
Dang. Obviously they are for show and not go. Not a big deal since the hitch comes with all the necessary full service pins. Just need to change out for locking ones when security is needed. But still hands down the best hitch i ever bought, and have had a few different ones over the years.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Its pricey I know, but the versatility and the fact it flips around for storage I like the B&W alot.

Screenshot_20210324-225813_Chrome.jpg

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Anderson rapid hitch,

https://shop.andersenhitches.com/collections/rapid-hitch

I looked at B&W these are abit cheaper. Stow away means nothing to me, If I leave even just the drop part in, I will be racking my shins on it. So when not in use, in a HF tool bag it goes.

They only offer it with 2 ball sizes. That didn't work for me with 8 trailers & 3 different size balls. What do they expect you to do then, buy another half of a hitch and carry around more hitch parts?

2018power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look at the trimax trailer hitch, you can get it with different sized drops, but it only comes with 2 different sized balls!

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I have a weigh safe with 2-5/16 & 2” balls with 8” drop. I really dont need the 8” drop with the newer dually but oh well.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an Anderson Rapid Hitch hat I purchased in 95 when I got my diesel. These days I use it on my 1500, and sure don't need as much drop, but it has served me well over the years.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
They only offer it with 2 ball sizes. That didn't work for me with 8 trailers & 3 different size balls. What do they expect you to do then, buy another half of a hitch and carry around more hitch parts?
you can get the 2 and 2 5/16 combo and get either a 2 x 1 7/8 combo
or just a 1 7/8 Alumibal like I did. Reminds me, I need to get it back
from the nephew.

1632901369621.png

All 4 pieces fit into am old military tool bag.
I don't keep the hitch in the receiver and it is "compact" compared to
most 3 ways

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went a different way. I wanted a B&W, but didn't want the triple ball setup. So I got the B&W pintle mount hitch from a local dealer for a great price. I removed the ball and pintle plate and bought a SS 3 ball Convert-a-Ball set for it. I also had to buy a bushing since the shank of the convert-a-ball was slightly smaller. It's the perfect setup for me.