Adjustable Ride Height and Entry Height Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew Cab with the 5'-7" bed.

So here is what I'm trying to do, and I highly doubt is possible but figure I'd ask... I'd like to keep the current ride height but be able to lower the truck for entry and exit of the truck. Now when I say lower, I'm not talking 2.5" that the factory does. I mean like 9" to 12" lower. I also need to retain my current factory tow capabilities. Does anyone know of any kits that this could happen with?

Just to clear up why I would want to even do this. I love my truck! I'm 6'4" my 15 year old is pushing 6'5" and still growing. My 12 year old is tall for his age, so I'm expecting him to shoot up in the next few years. The truck fits us well. Then I have my mom who I have to run to doctor appointments multiple days per week. She has knee and back issues and can no longer use the step ladder I had for her. Hence the need to lower the truck on entry.

Size wise the truck give use more room then her 2014 Ford Taurus. My knees hit the dash in there, and the kids complain about the back seat. I actually picked up a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Monday night for a test drive. While it does work, it just works. The Summit lowers just enough so she can get in, and getting out work even at normal height. As nice as it is, really there is not that much more room than her Taurus, and even less comparing it to my truck. Which made me start to think are there any kits I could just modify my truck to work for us.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know even on a coil spring truck the most you can drop rear is around 5-7” before bottoming out the frame and axle so I doubt 9” is feasible. I’m not sure if the factory air bags would even be able to compress that far you may be able to install the adjustable ride links for the air suspension and make them shorter but your truck will always sit lower doing that. And like I said I’m not sure how low the factory air ride can actually sit

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The power Boards made a big difference for short and mobility challenged folks getting in and out of my 2500. Outside of that, a custom low rider kit is going to be about the only option I know of to get that much drop. Personally, I would put up with using her Tarus for the trips to the doctor, if power boards doesn't do the trick.

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Taurus does work for that and that is the main use, ultimately I like to get her out on some trips with the family but we are defiantly limited in distance with her current car.
I thought about the power boards too but it not much different than the ladder I have for her... I figured airbags would have to be a custom kit. Just don't know where to even start looking. Or if what I'm asking is even possible even with something custom. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as I know even on a coil spring truck the most you can drop rear is around 5-7” before bottoming out the frame and axle so I doubt 9” is feasible. I’m not sure if the factory air bags would even be able to compress that far you may be able to install the adjustable ride links for the air suspension and make them shorter but your truck will always sit lower doing that. And like I said I’m not sure how low the factory air ride can actually sit
I missed this post, thanks this was the kind of info I was looking for.

I don't have the factory airbags, but the stock lowest setting in only like 2.5" lower than normal height.

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine