adjusting bilsteins after 50K miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes my friend ... in Italy the car is only registered with 1 tire size. You have to ask the manufacturer for clearance and then ask the civil motorization offices to add this additional measure to the vehicle registration document otherwise if you put on tires other than those permitted, if the police stop you, they will confiscate your car and give you a large bill to pay :-( its very complicated here to play with our truck

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes my friend ... in Italy the car is only registered with 1 tire size. You have to ask the manufacturer for clearance and then ask the civil motorization offices to add this additional measure to the vehicle registration document otherwise if you put on tires other than those permitted, if the police stop you, they will confiscate your car and give you a large bill to pay :-( its very complicated here to play with our truck
Wow! Well, i would stick with just a leveling kit then…stock size tires still look good when leveled in my opinion.

Do you have to ask permission to level it?!

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not :) , i can level my truck , the only rules is that wheels cannot come out of the fenders .I like my actually tires Pirelli Scorpion 275/60 r20

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps the best solutionfor me would be to remove the spacer from the rear spring and set the front bilsteins to 1.4" getting a very good leveling and the shock would not be too extended, I think the ride quality will improve a lot compared to my current situation .

I will lose about 3cm of lift all the way around but the truck will drive smoother.

I can't find any other way to make a decent lift of at least 2-3" without compromising the ride too much...

If I install a complete 4" kit I will have to update the wheels to the 35" size but in Italy this is not possible, it is different than in the USA. Here you have to ask for authorization to mount larger tires and it is almost always denied.
Here is my 19' sitting on LT285/65R20 BFG KO2's with the front and rear B8 5100 Bilstein's installed and using the stock front and rear coil springs. The fronts are set to 2.1" raised, and no rear enhancements in use.

I have had this set up since almost new (over 3.5 years now) and drive it in all seasons (Ontario, Canada). The ride is not stiff, jerky, or bouncy. The ride quality is fantastic, crisp, stable, and predictable. The overall handling characteristics are appreciably more improved over stock, and taking turns and bends at higher speeds on the highway is much more planted and accurate, too. There is also a much better feeling of control when at highway speeds as well.

Attachments

• 20220512_094134.jpg
    20220512_094134.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 11

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ecco il mio 19' seduto su LT285/65R20 BFG KO2 con i B8 5100 Bilstein anteriori e posteriori installati e utilizzando le molle elicoidali anteriori e posteriori di serie. I frontali sono impostati su 2,1" rialzati e nessun miglioramento posteriore in uso.

Ho avuto questa configurazione da quasi nuova (più di 3,5 anni) e la ***** in tutte le stagioni (Ontario, Canada). La corsa non è rigida, a scatti o rimbalzante. La qualità di guida è fantastica, nitida, stabile e prevedibile. Le caratteristiche di manovrabilità complessive sono notevolmente migliorate rispetto allo stock e anche le curve e le curve a velocità più elevate in autostrada sono molto più piantate e precise. C'è anche una sensazione di controllo molto migliore anche a velocità autostradale.
very nice to hear this words ... you put only the bilstein without changing the uca's ?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen a world of difference in the smoothness over rough roads after swapping the stock springs for the Eibach springs on the 5100s at stock setting . Eventually I will most likely swap the struts to match the Springs as they seemed to be valved for a better ride than the 5100s which I really have not cared for all that much

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I seen a world of difference in the smoothness over rough roads after swapping the stock springs for the Eibach springs on the 5100s at stock setting . Eventually I will most likely swap the struts to match the Springs as they seemed to be valved for a better ride than the 5100s which I really have not cared for all that much
So you replaced the stock front springs with eibach springs and set the bilsteins to 0"?
Could you tell me the model of eibach springs you used? Same stock height or do they have a little lift?

What kind of setup are you using for the rear? Did you let rake or did you level?

thanks for info

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know the number off hand but at the Stock setting on the 5100/Eibach springs gave me about 2" lift but rides much better than the stock springs on the 5100's set for a couple inch lift . I cant remember the name of the place I bought them but it is a popular sponsor on here . Something about Exhaust in its name . I will post back when I find it . He is always offering good prices to members on here . There are a lot of people on here running the same springs. I also have the Eibach rear springs .

GotExhaust is the name

Last edited by a moderator:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Nick@GotExhaust is the vendor who sells eibach. And yes. The eibach front springs are 2” lift by themselves. The rear springs range from 1” to 1.25” lift depending on crew or quad cab and are firmer than stock

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally if I had it to do over again and use the same size tire I would of just bought the Eibach springs and put them on the OE strut just for the hell of it . I have never been pleased with the 5100's on any Jeep or Ram I have tried them on . Some day as I mentioned I will pair up the springs with a pair of the Eibach struts which seem to be valved a little softer than the 5100's . Its no rush since I retired a few years ago a tank of gas last a couple months so its not really a priority .

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Nick@GotExhaust è il venditore che vende eibach. E sì. Le molle anteriori eibach hanno un'alzata di 2 pollici da sole. Le molle posteriori vanno da 1 "a 1,25" di sollevamento a seconda dell'equipaggio o della cabina quadrupla e sono più solide di quelle di serie
Thanks i will write him and hope nick have good solutions for international shipping to italy