Advice for paint chips rusting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
4B587FBB-6950-4B42-9089-1FB1C01FB808.jpeg Looking for a cheap way to keep them getting worse/bigger until I can fix properly

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Touch up paint. They have a little fiberglass brush to the clean the rust off. Better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You need to clean the rust out first if there is any, there are many youtubes, a good clear is USC SprayMax 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you can find it, the duplicolour touch up pen looks exactly the same as the stealership version. If I recall correctly when I ordered a Mopar version when I bought my truck it was like 30 bucks canadian. Price of parts is just insane.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
You need to clean the rust out first if there is any, there are many youtubes, a good clear is USC SprayMax 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear.
Thank you I try to avoid YouTube & and the internet, ramforum is my go to for info, I like hearing from fellow Ram owners without agendas & experience with our trucks. I appreciate all the suggestions!

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
If you can find it, the duplicolour touch up pen looks exactly the same as the stealership version. If I recall correctly when I ordered a Mopar version when I bought my truck it was like 30 bucks canadian. Price of parts is just insane.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Thank you

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
F33DAF7E-4771-4CC7-B30F-E50F4E36B455.jpeg 86613D67-7990-4C7D-909A-AC20176F6CC6.jpeg
Touch up paint and mud flaps.
Thank you, want to ask your opinion on a different subject, I leveled with thuren/king love the ride & want to off-road my brother lives in Arizona goes about every weekend but realistly will not do any “hard-core” I read thru most of your posts,builds and comments off-road videos. I want a little more height been looking at 2” or 3” body lifts I haven’t seen any suspension lifts I can add to my level without changing rear shocks can’t afford to get longer shocks and mine are still new. I would appreciate your input on body lifts, or any suspension changes I can make without messing up performance

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 208820 View attachment 208821
Thank you, want to ask your opinion on a different subject, I leveled with thuren/king love the ride & want to off-road my brother lives in Arizona goes about every weekend but realistly will not do any “hard-core” I read thru most of your posts,builds and comments off-road videos. I want a little more height been looking at 2” or 3” body lifts I haven’t seen any suspension lifts I can add to my level without changing rear shocks can’t afford to get longer shocks and mine are still new. I would appreciate your input on body lifts, or any suspension changes I can make without messing up performance
I don't have direct experience with BL's. I don't think it would be good to do longer bolts to hold the entire body and at the same time give those Kings a good exercise but this is partly opinion based on my observations from a dude who did a 3" BL in his Taco and used to come out with us to the desert to have fun in the whoops. He used to ***** about those bolts every single time we went offroad. At lunch time this guy will grab a torque wrench and check all his body mount bolts as he mentioned his truck body had shifted a couple of times after 2-3 sessions of driving the truck hard. But i've never done a BL so i really don't know what to expect. I can tell you drive her fast first and get a feel for how the truck handles and if you think longer body mount bolts can hold up to the abuse then go for it. I've never seen prerunners with BL's and definelety that's a cheap way to gain height and yet nobody seems to to them in that market. They want their stuff running low COG with all the travel they can get.
Maybe in your case 1" would be better if you want some extra clearance but again i don't have direct experience with BL's.

Count the number of open threads in your front CO's. You have room to go up, don't know how the Thuren version comes preset at but my OE king came preset at 2" and that's is the min they'll go. You have the same CO springs i have. I'm at about 2.75" now and i don't think i'm going higher than that but you can go to 3" if you wanted. I have 11 open threads in the driver side, 10 in the passenger side, but i also have a aftermarket bumper and some rock sliders to deal with(80lbs bumper which is nothing but 180-200lbs of rock sliders) the rears you can do 1,1.5 up to 2" more. If i didn't have that weight i'm sure i'll be at 3" of lift easy. plus i'm running literally 3" rear springs and eating 1" out because of 500lbs of extra weight i have in the back. The King OE rear shocks are 27.25" extended so almost 2" longer than stock. (1 3/4 specifically).

Hope it helps.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thank you I try to avoid YouTube & and the internet, ramforum is my go to for info, I like hearing from fellow Ram owners without agendas & experience with our trucks. I appreciate all the suggestions!

ok

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I don't have direct experience with BL's. I don't think it would be good to do longer bolts to hold the entire body and at the same time give those Kings a good exercise but this is partly opinion based on my observations from a dude who did a 3" BL in his Taco and used to come out with us to the desert to have fun in the whoops. He used to ***** about those bolts every single time we went offroad. At lunch time this guy will grab a torque wrench and check all his body mount bolts as he mentioned his truck body had shifted a couple of times after 2-3 sessions of driving the truck hard. But i've never done a BL so i really don't know what to expect. I can tell you drive her fast first and get a feel for how the truck handles and if you think longer body mount bolts can hold up to the abuse then go for it. I've never seen prerunners with BL's and definelety that's a cheap way to gain height and yet nobody seems to to them in that market. They want their stuff running low COG with all the travel they can get.
Maybe in your case 1" would be better if you want some extra clearance but again i don't have direct experience with BL's.

Count the number of open threads in your front CO's. You have room to go up, don't know how the Thuren version comes preset at but my OE king came preset at 2" and that's is the min they'll go. You have the same CO springs i have. I'm at about 2.75" now and i don't think i'm going higher than that but you can go to 3" if you wanted. I have 11 open threads in the driver side, 10 in the passenger side, but i also have a aftermarket bumper and some rock sliders to deal with(80lbs bumper which is nothing but 180-200lbs of rock sliders) the rears you can do 1,1.5 up to 2" more. If i didn't have that weight i'm sure i'll be at 3" of lift easy. plus i'm running literally 3" rear springs and eating 1" out because of 500lbs of extra weight i have in the back. The King OE rear shocks are 27.25" extended so almost 2" longer than stock. (1 3/4 specifically).

Hope it helps.
So the rear shocks I have already will work with springs that give me a 2” lift without damaging shocks? Mostly want the extra height for looks but not so much to be counter productive to my suspension. Thank you appreciate your time & infomative posts

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the rear shocks I have already will work with springs that give me a 2” lift without damaging shocks? Mostly want the extra height for looks but not so much to be counter productive to my suspension. Thank you appreciate your time & infomative posts
Yes. they're not stock height. Mate them with Icon 1.5" springs to maximize their length. they'll be a little too long for stock springs and you will unseat the factory coils if you flex the rear to the max. Also make sure to extend you rear brake line brackets as well. just lower the bracket that goes on the frame where the factory rear line bracket bolts down to by about 2" and that's about it.
43353322830_90078313cb_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

Hleuckanator333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've been in automotive 35 years doing this. Get a duplicolor paint stick in your color. Get some wax and grease remover with some paper towel, I prefer kirkland's and a heat gun.
Use the pens rust remover to remove the rust, then wipe the effected area with wax and grease remover. Using the brush take a small amount of paint and dab it into the chip. Then using your heat gun on the med heat level dry the chip slightly, using your wax and grease on a paper towel GENTLY wipe over the chip repair to knock the high spots down. Sometimes it takes a few tries but if ya mess up just wipe it all off and start again. Once finished put stone guard (clear urethane film) over top of the areas to protect further, and mud flaps if ya what further protection.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adamcr68

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
So I've been in automotive 35 years doing this. Get a duplicolor paint stick in your color. Get some wax and grease remover with some paper towel, I prefer kirkland's and a heat gun.
Use the pens rust remover to remove the rust, then wipe the effected area with wax and grease remover. Using the brush take a small amount of paint and dab it into the chip. Then using your heat gun on the med heat level dry the chip slightly, using your wax and grease on a paper towel GENTLY wipe over the chip repair to knock the high spots down. Sometimes it takes a few tries but if ya mess up just wipe it all off and start again. Once finished put stone guard (clear urethane film) over top of the areas to protect further, and mud flaps if ya what further protection.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thank you