Advice for Replacement Tires for 5th Gen Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e Tourque
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for advice on replacement tires in my 2021 Ram Longhorn Limited. Stock tires are Goodyear Eagle touring tires, 285/45/22. I went through one winter with these tires and vowed to replace them before the next winter. They are probably great tires for warmer climates. However, I live in Massachusetts and need something that does better in snowy winter condition. Does anyone have recommendations on new tires? I want to keep the same size, and I am not looking for a tire with a heavy aggressive tread. I drive mainly highway and some dirt roads... no off road. Looking for something that performs well in all seasons and will perform well in New England winters. Thanks!

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the Cooper AT3 fits your wheels, you cannot go wrong. They are very good all around tires, with excellent winter performance.

OP
OP
S

Sully1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e Tourque
Hey PolarisCobra, did you experience a significant MPG drop with the Cooper AT3's? I realize a more aggressive tread will likely impact MPG. And I'm willing to make a small concession there for better winter performance. I tried Cooper A/T tires years ago on an '04 Silverado. Not an off road-type tread... more like the AT3 tread. When those tire went on I lost 3-4 MPG. That's more than I'd want.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OMG, LOL, asking a tire question is like asking a Oil/Filter question. I personally have Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on MY 19 1500. Now I have 18" rims, not the monster 22's U got. I lost 1 to 1 1/2 MPG due to a heck of a lot more tread on the road. I bought "C" rated tires, did not need the "E" rated load tires. The Falkens did well on solid ice and 8" of snow, which we got here in February, 10 years of snow in 1 day. Remember, not like up North. Not a lot of salt trucks and absolutely no plows. I had no issues as long as drive sensibly. All above IMHO...

Per Falken Site on yer tire size: 28034219 stock number. They only list one tire in yer size. U could also Look at Michelin LTX and Toyo HT's
22"28034219285/45R22XL
The Falkens are: Designed for severe snow conditions, every AT3W tire is qualified by the Rubber Manufacturers Association for the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) symbol. The LTX's R not, but a lot of PPL run them and say they R good.

Again, U know about Opinions. I personally Have Run Toyo's and Falkens. Had Toyo's on my wife's 2010 F 150, all OK, and I have Falkens on MY 19 RAM. Either rode well in Summer. Winter, I personally think Falkens are better, but it is a more aggressive tread also.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a lot of tires out there that'll work for your needs. But pay special attention to avoid some of the 'tricks' that some mfgrs design into tires that degrade their usability as they wear down:

1) Higher (taller) 'webbing' between certain tread blocks: Usually this is on the outer edge of the tire (but sometimes in the middle too). When such a tire wears down to about 1/2 way or a little less, the center of such a tire can appear to have deep enough tread too be useable, however can appear worn out on the edges (the raised rubber between the tread blocks mean there are no longer gaps between tread blocks there). Many tires don't apply this strategy and have gaps which go down to the carcass and can still have useful winter tread even as they are wearing down. Therefore they end up being safer as they wear and you don't have to replace them as often.

2) Sipes that only go down a little way: Same as above. Some mfgrs have deeper sipes than others. If the sipes are deeper, they continue to do their job as the tire wears. Those tires which the sipe or gaps aren't very deep, their performance in water/snow seems to be a lot more limited (compared to when it was new).

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I listed the General APT because it doesn't have the heavy lugs like some of the other tread designs and is still 3PMSF. The Nokian tire because they have the same 3PMSF and they're not over aggressive either, but are similar in price and not over $300 per tire.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey PolarisCobra, did you experience a significant MPG drop with the Cooper AT3's? I realize a more aggressive tread will likely impact MPG. And I'm willing to make a small concession there for better winter performance. I tried Cooper A/T tires years ago on an '04 Silverado. Not an off road-type tread... more like the AT3 tread. When those tire went on I lost 3-4 MPG. That's more than I'd want.
One mpg maybe. hard to tell for sure. I surely wasn't 3 mpg.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for advice on replacement tires in my 2021 Ram Longhorn Limited. Stock tires are Goodyear Eagle touring tires, 285/45/22. I went through one winter with these tires and vowed to replace them before the next winter. They are probably great tires for warmer climates. However, I live in Massachusetts and need something that does better in snowy winter condition. Does anyone have recommendations on new tires? I want to keep the same size, and I am not looking for a tire with a heavy aggressive tread. I drive mainly highway and some dirt roads... no off road. Looking for something that performs well in all seasons and will perform well in New England winters. Thanks!
The Michelin Defender LTX 285/45/R22 is about as good as you are going to do. Also, they have an XL, (extra load) which I need for my heavy SUV, and which you should not need. Don't get the Defender confused with the Premier, which is a lower rated tire. A tough second is the Pirelli Verde, which has a very high rating.
I have used the LTX Defender for years, good mileage, balance well and no problems. They are also rated very high for winter traction and ride. I live in South Dakota and am familiar with tough winters. Good luck

casey54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Concur with Tom. Michelin Defender LTX. Mine are the 20”, but excellent traction, smooth ride, and excellent tread life. Not the cheapest initially, but worth it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If the Cooper AT3 fits your wheels, you cannot go wrong. They are very good all around tires, with excellent winter performance.
^^^^This^^^
I got a set last year, good ride & good rain / snow performance. I lost about 1mpg compared to the stock SRA's. No regrets.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a new Longhorn last year and have the 22 inch Goodyear on mine as well ... I haven't done much driving since this covid thing but I did put an ALL WEATHER tires on my 2013 and 2017 RAM's ... They were made by Cooper Tires and were great, even in the snow up here in Canada ... I understand that Cooper Tire has been purchased by Goodyear, so I can't speak if the quality has changed ... BF Goodrich also have an all weather tire called the Advantage T/A Sport LT in the 22 inch size, which received pretty good ratings from people who bought them ... And please note, I am speaking of ALL WEATHER tires, NOT ALL SEASON ... All Weather tires are winter rated ...

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
back when I got my 2017, I checked Tire Rack's comparison tool.
I wanted good wet or dry or snowy braking, good wet or dry traction, good snow traction, good life, and QUIET running down the highway. #1 was Firestone Destination ATs, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander ATs, which were $30/tire cheaper. 30,000 miles later I love them.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have 22” rims and and I had decided on Toyo AT3s. I want to go a a bit taller and I am going from 285/45 to 285/50. That one size difference does change the tire to a load range E. Only a few tire options with the 22” tires beyond the standard 285/45….My biggest challenge is that no one has them and can’t tell me when they will be in stock.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From driving in the Sierras and Rockys, I've had good experiences with BFG, General, and Yokohama 3PMSF rated tires. They've all handled well in both hard pack and several feet of powder.

As long as you choose a 3PMSF tire from one of the big brands, you'll be good in the snow.

Obviously though ice is another beast and no All Weather/AT/MT tire will out perform a dedicated snow tire. :)

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
heckcat9, what is 3PMSF?
It's a symbol of a 3 Peak Mountain and Snow Flake (3PMSF) you will find on the sidewall of 3PMSF tires. These tires have undergone additional testing to ensure they are capable of braking in severe winter weather.

It's not specific to any brand or model, and some tire models only have 3PMSF on specific sizes.

OP
OP
S

Sully1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e Tourque
It's a symbol of a 3 Peak Mountain and Snow Flake (3PMSF) you will find on the sidewall of 3PMSF tires. These tires have undergone additional testing to ensure they are capable of braking in severe winter weather.

It's not specific to any brand or model, and some tire models only have 3PMSF on specific sizes.

I've actually come across the 3 Peak designation... didn't know the acronym. Thanks, heckcat9!

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Full 4 season tire that has several sizing options in 'P' metric vs LT check out Geolander GO15. If LTs are preferred, or you tow a trailer often, or just dont mind the much frimer "sharper" ride quality that LTs have then Cooper Discoverer ATW+4, again not just any Cooper Discoverer, but the ATW+4.

They are true 4 season tires with better siping, lower temp rubber compound, but higher silicate content to offset the heat and wear that a standard snow tire would have in the summer......
I find that true 4 season tires give me the best of both worlds, a snow tire that I do not have to change on and off in spring and fall.......... By the way Albany NY area so weather is similar, maybe a little more snow than slop you get...... I grew up by Lowell and learned to drive RT3, 495 and RT128 so I know the weather in your area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock