Advice on performance exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonecollector

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Looking for advice on exhaust for my ‘17 Bighorn
Just want to replace the muffler and keep the stock pipes
What’s the brand that performs and sounds the best in your opinions
Looks to me the Flowmaster Outlaw looks sounds pretty good
Thanks in advance

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I had a Carven Progressive on my last 1500. It sounded awesome. Quiet while cruising, very little drone, but loud AF when you get on it. Easy install, direct bolt on. I also suggest doing the 5" tips.

As for performance, who knows. Probably none with any bolt on muffler swap. Need tuning for performance. If anything it was about a 50 lb weight reduction from the stock muffler.

1660493154372.png

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the large magnaflow muffler only. Nice rumble, sounds great at wot, and no drone. It’s my 3rd one. Love it

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a flowmaster outlaw on my 2021 warlock could be louder. I may remove the resonators to make it louder. It does nothing for performance it does sound nice

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are lots of options. For me to better recommend something how loud do you want it? Is drone a big concern? There are lots of options that we offer from a little louder than stock to make your neighbors hate you. Message me and we can discuss options and pricing

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i like loud, so like my borla atak. my dad respects his neighbors, so he likes the bora s type.

ran the corsa sport on GM trucks in the past and liked that too.

since you won't be getting power from catback alone, you need to listen to a lot of sound clips or friend's trucks to decide. test drives even better. cold start, on-ramps, crusing on the freeway, having conversation... since it's mostly a "cosmetic upgrade for your ears", slow down if you can and only purchase when you know you've fell in love with a sound profile.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another vote for Carven Progressive! Have tried a lot of exhaust options over the 5 Rams I've had, Carven by far is my favorite.
i've never tried one of these, but it's on my bucket list for a future truck. sounds great, 5" tips look awesome, and watching a bunch of videos while shopping...the welds/fab quality alone demands respect.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have the Carven Competitor series and love it ... you won't get much performance from just replacing the muffler alone ....

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I got my cat back done with a Flowmaster Super 409S, resonator delete, and upgraded to the 5 inch factory tips. I was so happy with the tone. Twice as happy the way the truck announced HEMI when the go fast pedal was initiated. Lately, not so much. Sitting at red lights, doesn't sound as throaty as it was when new. I can do a quick fix and hope adding resonators help with the tone/drone/volume (most likely it won't). Or listen to what others TOLD ME about Borla and Carven and make the jump. Good luck with your upgrade. Hope you make a better decision than I did...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
When I got my cat back done with a Flowmaster Super 409S, resonator delete, and upgraded to the 5 inch factory tips. I was so happy with the tone. Twice as happy the way the truck announced HEMI when the go fast pedal was initiated. Lately, not so much. Sitting at red lights, doesn't sound as throaty as it was when new. I can do a quick fix and hope adding resonators help with the tone/drone/volume (most likely it won't). Or listen to what others TOLD ME about Borla and Carven and make the jump. Good luck with your upgrade. Hope you make a better decision than I did...
Go with the Carven Competitor, it's been 2 years now since I put it on and I still love the way it sounds .... the tone hasn't changed or gotten any louder ... I have heard other trucks with Borlas, Gibson and Corsa and I personally don't like how they sound especially after at least a year in ... the tones change and sound too glass pack like ... they sound like toys lol ...