Advice on tarping and securing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckp_tn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Next week, I am going to be driving with a brand new Weber Grill laying flat on its back in the bed of my 2018 RAM that has a soft Truxedo top. The Truxedo clearance is not enough to lay the Weber down and have it close.

I'm a newbie when it comes to securing items in the back of the truck. I feel pretty confident being able to lay some support underneath and even ratchet/secure the grill down from sliding too much, but what are the best options or methods for an affordable tarp that can cover most of the bed of the truck without leaking?

I have RAM boxes with the cargo management system. Thx!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t tarp it. Rain if it happens won’t hurt a grill.

A tarp with the least amount of slack in it will flap in the wind and abuse any painted surface it rubs on.

If you feel you must, wrap up the grill like a Christmas present in the tarp then strap the whole package down in the bed. Don’t hang the tarp or any straps over the outside of the bed to scratch the paint.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said
Just strap the grill to keep it from sliding around, the cardboard will keep the contents dry and as mentioned it's a grill a little moisture isn't going to hurt anything.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just looked at my Weber and it looks like just a few bolts to get the main part off the stand. Have you looked into just taking it apart? If not I agree with the others that a little rain won't hurt it. I just ratchet strap it in place to keep it from bouncing around.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take the top cover, grills, and flavorizer tents off and put in cab. The rest, just stand up and tie down firmly (use a towel if you want to wrap it where the rope is, cardboard and things like that either loosen the tie as it crunches during travel or rain disintegrates it). You should be fine. This is assuming you are picking up an assembled grill. I delivered a bunch like that in a different life, went fine. Rain won't bother it. I would use ratchet straps as they can crunch things if pulled too tight. I recommend a rope tied to the bed at one cleat, then connect a strong, short bungee to the other bed cleat and after wrapping rope around the grill, tie it to the stretched bungee. That way, if the rope shifts the tension of the bungee will take up the slack. Good luck.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also you might want to invest in a cargo bar. I've had the same one for a over 2 decades and it still works. I just bought a new heavy duty one this year. I can't tell you how many times I've used the old one. Right now I use it for keeping a trunk organizer in place between the bar and my tailgate. That's where I load up the stuff I buy. Haven't tried the new one yet.

This is the new one I just bought.
Rage Powersports Elevate Outdoor Ratcheting Cargo Bar https://a.co/d/3ABMae7

OP
OP
C

ckp_tn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just looked at my Weber and it looks like just a few bolts to get the main part off the stand. Have you looked into just taking it apart? If not I agree with the others that a little rain won't hurt it. I just ratchet strap it in place to keep it from bouncing around.
No, haven't looked into taking it apart yet, not a bad option.

OP
OP
C

ckp_tn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Take the top cover, grills, and flavorizer tents off and put in cab. The rest, just stand up and tie down firmly (use a towel if you want to wrap it where the rope is, cardboard and things like that either loosen the tie as it crunches during travel or rain disintegrates it). You should be fine. This is assuming you are picking up an assembled grill. I delivered a bunch like that in a different life, went fine. Rain won't bother it. I would use ratchet straps as they can crunch things if pulled too tight. I recommend a rope tied to the bed at one cleat, then connect a strong, short bungee to the other bed cleat and after wrapping rope around the grill, tie it to the stretched bungee. That way, if the rope shifts the tension of the bungee will take up the slack. Good luck.
Ok, that makes sense. Good instructions...and you would stand it up, not lay it on its back?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is one of the reasons I chose to pick up my new Weber in a box and unassembled.

Plus, let's just say, I prefer to assemble things myself than pay someone else. :cool:

Fastening the shipping box with a ratcheting cam strap was beyond simple and secure.
And, I didn't care if the box was rained upon for my 35-minute drive home. :cool: