AFE air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello all! I bought my truck used and it has the dry Afe filter that fits into the stock airbox, should I replace it an oem paper filter? Is there any advantage to having a high flow filter??

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put afe dry filters in anything I buy personally. It easily cleaned in a bucket with dawn dish soap, rinse, dry and reinstall. No need to waste money replacing a good filter that will out last the truck.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you drag racing or running WOT for extended times climbing mountains with a trailer ? If the answer is no there is no benefit to using anything but a stock style filter. Worst case (cough, K&N, cough) you're having an engine duster.

The reason is that a gas engine is a "quantity regulated" design, a.k.a it has a throttle to control engine output. The only time restrictions from the air filter may become relevant is when the throttle is fully open and even then the pressure differential at the air filter has to be larger than the differential before/after the throttle body.

Note the above does not apply to Diesel engines which are controlled by the amount of fuel. Any way you can get more air into a Diesel is good, just not at the expense of allowing more particles into the engine.