AFE Shorty Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anybody have a video of the installation of AFE shorty headers on a forth Gen 5.7? Or problems during or after installation? I'm trying to decide on stock manifolds or shorty headers.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best guide I found was Boosted Motorsports on YouTube, he has a shorty install video that covers most of it. He wrapped his which made it a little harder than ceramic coating which I did.

My advice I picked up from somewhere else is to get a set of flex head ratchets for the bolts and it's still a pain to get some of the bolts at all.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First, if you have broken studs you’ll need a welder and some nuts. Even if you don’t it’s possible one might break when loosening so go slow.

Needed flex head ratcheting wrench for some spots and open end wrench for others. Could only get a socket on a few bolts with various extension combos. In hind sight, I would have trimmed the shields off the gaskets before installing. They just get in the way and slice your hand like butter.

Hardest part was getting that first bolt in. These headers do not have open slots to hang them on during placement. An extra pair of hands would help but it’s a tight fit up in that wheel well. Also, you will need to reuse a bolt for the dipstick bracket with the supplied spacer so don’t toss your old hardware.

You will need to disconnect the steering shaft on the drivers side and bend the dipstick tube out of the way. This side was the biggest headache. Passenger side was much smoother sailing.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, if you have broken studs you’ll need a welder and some nuts. Even if you don’t it’s possible one might break when loosening so go slow.

Needed flex head ratcheting wrench for some spots and open end wrench for others. Could only get a socket on a few bolts with various extension combos. In hind sight, I would have trimmed the shields off the gaskets before installing. They just get in the way and slice your hand like butter.

Hardest part was getting that first bolt in. These headers do not have open slots to hang them on during placement. An extra pair of hands would help but it’s a tight fit up in that wheel well. Also, you will need to reuse a bolt for the dipstick bracket with the supplied spacer so don’t toss your old hardware.

You will need to disconnect the steering shaft on the drivers side and bend the dipstick tube out of the way. This side was the biggest headache. Passenger side was much smoother sailing.

Yes 100% to all of this except the gasket, the Remflex does not have the heatshield and is by far the more recommended gasket on here, that's what I used.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, I agree with the Remflex but that’s not what comes with the AFE headers.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

We didn't have to disconnect the steering shaft or bend anything, there is plenty of room to do everything without having to struggle too much ...

We installed the AFE's on @the_goodguy07 's 2017 and it was not that hard ...