Affordable, effective Tuner, turn off MDS only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 Ram 1500,Big Horn, 5.7L, 8 speed. Looking for your input, most affordable, effective tuner to permanently turn off MDS and that's it. I've researched forums, YouTube, WWW and never found a clear, definitive answer to this question. There are a lot of mods out there all claiming to be better, I'm going right to the source, the end users for your input, thanks.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No tuner to do it I know of. You can do a full MDS delete or simply use your steering wheel shift buttons and put it in top gear (6 or 8). That turns off MDS and lets the transision still shift thru all gears.

OP
OP
ClarkR

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I already use the - + controls on the wheel, works well thanks, but shifting all day long and wanting MDS off for pulling out is the goal. I saw the pulsar has the option on setting #2 but it's cost prohibitive for what I wanted to do. Maybe it can't be done but so far I'm amazed that someone doesn't have a affordable OBD plugin that does this one feature, they would sell like M&M's. But again, maybe it can't be done this way.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just to be clear, you do not have to use the +- to shift the transmission, only need to do it once when you put the transmission in drive. It is not like transmisions of old when you put it in say gear 2 it stays in 2. With electronic transmisions it still shifts thru all gears and stops at the highest gear set, ie a 8 speed trans set on 8 will still shift fully normally thru 1,2,3,4 etc.

OP
OP
ClarkR

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So your saying just hit the - to enter the mode and that's it? it will still disable MDS and not effect the shifting patterns. Needing to do each time you enter back into Drive and nothing further? I always assumed that if you activated it in say, 3rd that it would be the top shift ratio, your saying it's not so with electronic trans.? There's no down shifting with an electronic trans for speed reduction?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
AlfaOBD and the dongle for the port is probably the cheapest way to make it permanent.
Upside is you'll also be able to do lots of other stuff too.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your saying just hit the - to enter the mode and that's it? it will still disable MDS and not effect the shifting patterns. Needing to do each time you enter back into Drive and nothing further? I always assumed that if you activated it in say, 3rd that it would be the top shift ratio, your saying it's not so with electronic trans.? There's no down shifting with an electronic trans for speed reduction?
Put in in D then hit - then + to whatever gear you want. I usually lock out 8 in town so for me - then + 7 times.

It will stay in that mode until you take it out of drive. You can also bump it up or down if you want all 8 gears (like when I hit the highway) or to lock out more gears.

There is also the added benefit of being able to see what gear the trans is in at all times, which I like for towing.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Holley/Edge Pulsar piggyback “tuner” has MDS off modes that will keep the gearbox in it’s top gear for you. Though it’s not exactly cheap at $600, but at least you won’t have to manually disable it every time.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alfaobd will not disable mds, you need to do a full tuner to eliminate it electronically.