After market air filter and check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Brazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo diesel
Some time after service on my 2019 2500 Ram Diesel the check engine light came on.
I was towing my trailer away from home so I stopped by another dealership for them to see what the problem was.
The code showed "Mass flow sensor fault". I was told that was because they had used an aftermarket air filter at service and only a Dodge Ram filter would work. He also said they couldn't change it to the proper part because they could not get the part????
I had taken it to Cottage Grove Chrysler to have the code read. I bought the truck new at Lithia Dodge in Eugene, Oregon.
The check engine light is still on.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks, Bob.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
delete

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry Bob, I'm not clear on who installed the aftermarket filter.

OP
OP
B

Bob Brazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo diesel
It was the dealership where I bought the truck. I took it there for the first oil change and service.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd take it back to the dealership who installed it and have them take care of the problem on their dime if they're the ones who installed the supposedly non-compliant filter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The code showed "Mass flow sensor fault". I was told that was because they had used an aftermarket air filter at service and only a Dodge Ram filter would work. He also said they couldn't change it to the proper part because they could not get the part????
Find a different dealer as that one sounds like it registers an ID10T error code. You wouldn't get a mass airflow sensor fault even without an air filter unless something physically damages the sensor.
Go to an auto parts store and have them read the code(if the dealer didn't tell you the number), it should tell what the fault is then post it here. You can probably even grab a new air filter there or find a Cummins dealership, they'll have the engine air filter also .

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Find a different dealer as that one sounds like it registers an ID10T error code. You wouldn't get a mass airflow sensor fault even without an air filter unless something physically damages the sensor.
Go to an auto parts store and have them read the code(if the dealer didn't tell you the number), it should tell what the fault is then post it here. You can probably even grab a new air filter there or find a Cummins dealership, they'll have the engine air filter also .
I've seen oiled filters cause a mass air flow sensor to throw a code. Usually only if the filter is over-oiled. Oil coats the MAF sensor which messes with its readings.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be an issue if an over-oiled filter was used. Otherwise the filter should be fine and not cause that issue. Does the truck run ok? I'm not an expert on diesels, but if the MAF was messed up, it should run poorly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've seen oiled filters cause a mass air flow sensor to throw a code. Usually only if the filter is over-oiled. Oil coats the MAF sensor which messes with its readings.
That oil would fall under physical damage, I doubt a Dodge/Ram dealership would install an oiled filter on a freebie oil change.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on both my 2014 6.4L Big Horn & my 2017 6.7L CTD. I had installed an aftermarket intake on both and they had oiled filters. Some of the oil got on the sensor and caused a code. I switched over to dry filters and didn't have any further problems.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That oil would fall under physical damage, I doubt a Dodge/Ram dealership would install an oiled filter on a freebie oil change.
The OP said the dealership installed this. I'm just taking him at his word on that. You can doubt whether or not they are being truthful, but I'm not interested in debating that. I don't see any reason to doubt him about that.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The OP said the dealership installed this. I'm just taking him at his word on that. You can doubt whether or not they are being truthful, but I'm not interested in debating that. I don't see any reason to doubt him about that.
Here's a novel idea, don't tag someone and bring up a counter point if you don't want to debate something.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is this particular sensor? Possible that the oil change tech damaged it during service, or accidentally bumped the connector or stressed the wires?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's a novel idea, don't tag someone and bring up a counter point if you don't want to debate something.
You want to debate whether or not the OP is lying when he said the dealer installed that filter? I have no problem debating facts. I won't debate someone's honesty who I've never even met. ;)

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You want to debate whether or not the OP is lying when he said the dealer installed that filter? I have no problem debating facts. I won't debate someone's honesty who I've never even met. ;)
You need to read better, my exact statement was "I doubt a Dodge/Ram dealership would install an oiled filter on a freebie oil change."
I didn't question whether the dealer changed the filter or the OP's honesty. I doubted a dealership would install an oiled type filter which usually cost more than a paper throw away.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You need to read better, my exact statement was "I doubt a Dodge/Ram dealership would install an oiled filter on a freebie oil change."
I didn't question whether the dealer changed the filter or the OP's honesty. I doubted a dealership would install an oiled type filter which usually cost more than a paper throw away.
My reading comprehension is fine, thanks. So, even though the OP said the dealership installed it, by your saying that you don't believe a dealership would install that type of filter, you're in essence saying you don't believe his claim that they did. Okay, got it. It's opposite day for you. :rotflmao:

I agree that it would be unusual for a dealership to do that. I know mine wouldn't, unless I paid them to. And in that case they would not warranty anything affected by the aftermarket part. If that's what happened, the OP left that part out of his story.