After Market Radios w/ Backupcam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got great results from asking everyone their opinions of the shortie headers so going to try it again with the radio.
I have buzzed the threads for awhile about aftermarket vs. stock.
Def going with aftermarket, also looking for a good Android Auto and backup camera with steering wheel integration.

So far leaning towards the Pioneer AVH-2300NEX, not sure on Camera yet or what kind of fuse to get.

Just looking for everyone's thoughts on what they ALREADY installed and if you are happy with it.
Pics are always apprecaited :)

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp I’ll start.. I stick with Pioneer avh nex series headunits I’ve had several over the years.. 4200,4000. No complaints I usually upgrade them after a few years and I have a Charger so that has one in it as well. As far as backup camera I decided to stick to OEM for that and grab one of those from tailgate backup cameras and install that figure the quality and picture quality is usually better with oem vs aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welp I’ll start.. I stick with Pioneer avh nex series headunits I’ve had several over the years.. 4200,4000. No complaints I usually upgrade them after a few years and I have a Charger so that has one in it as well. As far as backup camera I decided to stick to OEM for that and grab one of those from tailgate backup cameras and install that figure the quality and picture quality is usually better with oem vs aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mind sharing what you used for power with the camera? I'm also going to go with the tailgate camera...

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
The back up camera option is great on these units. I ordered my camera and latch off Amazon. The shop that did my install had no issues. I had them set my camera to work in reverse and also in drive.
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
If you have any type of skills, you really do not need to buy the whole camera and handle kit. There is plenty enough room to drill a hole in your non-camera handle and pop in a flush mount camera. Most cameras come with the right size hole saw from amazon. I had the Pioneer 2300nex and really enjoyed it. I wish it had adjustable backup lines as mounting the camera on the factory handle or buying the kit aims the camera down and they don't like up correctly. The only issue i had with it was with the new usb module, carplay acted up a decent amount but worked great bypassing it.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got a Kenwood DDX9904S and a backup camera and tailgate handle from 1A Auto. I love my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got a Kenwood DDX9904S and a backup camera and tailgate handle from 1A Auto. I love my set up.

Did you wire the cam urself, and do the steeringwheel controls still work?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wired the camera on my own and my truck doesn’t have steering wheel controls but I’m sure that if you used the proper wiring harness you would have no issues

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wired the camera on my own and my truck doesn’t have steering wheel controls but I’m sure that if you used the proper wiring harness you would have no issues

Care to share how you wired it? Looking at doing it myself too.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Care to share how you wired it? Looking at doing it myself too.

If I remember correctly the kit from 1A comes with a wiring harness that is long enough to go all the way to the front of the truck. I got power for the camera from one of the reverse light, you could also get power from the 7 pin harness. To have the headunit show the camera I just used the wire from the factory harness when I installed the headunit. It’s actually fairly simple to do

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly the kit from 1A comes with a wiring harness that is long enough to go all the way to the front of the truck. I got power for the camera from one of the reverse light, you could also get power from the 7 pin harness. To have the headunit show the camera I just used the wire from the factory harness when I installed the headunit. It’s actually fairly simple to do

Thanks!!

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks!!

I have recently been think about finding a different source of power so it’s on all the time and I can hit the cam button on the headunit and see behind me. Not sure where I would get power then I’d probably get power from the 12v constant wire in the 7 pin harness. I’m not sure what cab you have but I’m my crew cab under the carpet under the seat there is a plastic plug I drilled a hole in to get the wire in the cab and then sealed it back up.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the crew cab... I have the 7 pin connector too. I read a lot of places that if you wire them wrong (the cameras) they will burn them out. Was just worried about that. I can easily tap off the reverse wire cause I did for my tailgate light bar... just need to pick a radio now I guess!!

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the crew cab... I have the 7 pin connector too. I read a lot of places that if you wire them wrong (the cameras) they will burn them out. Was just worried about that. I can easily tap off the reverse wire cause I did for my tailgate light bar... just need to pick a radio now I guess!!

Mine has been wired like this for well over a year. I also recommend the Kenwood DDX9904s I haven’t had any issues with it. My buddy runs one one the Pioneer NEX units I can’t remember which one but he has had some issues with Apple Car Play freezing or not working at all.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got great results from asking everyone their opinions of the shortie headers so going to try it again with the radio.
I have buzzed the threads for awhile about aftermarket vs. stock.
Def going with aftermarket, also looking for a good Android Auto and backup camera with steering wheel integration.

So far leaning towards the Pioneer AVH-2300NEX, not sure on Camera yet or what kind of fuse to get.

Just looking for everyone's thoughts on what they ALREADY installed and if you are happy with it.
Pics are always apprecaited :)
I have a 7" Muse Audio Android 8 unit installed. I ran a new backup cam to the unit only to discover that tapping the current camera's picture wire and running it over worked better. All you need is reverse power from the harness and current camera.

I personally prefer the minimized stock Android UI over what Pioneer offered. I have nav (Maps.me) and options for a zillion google apps and different UI.