Aftermarket AlpIne speakers question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtruck16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i may want to replace my door speakers eventually and i was wondering if the aftermarket alpines will drop right in or is there another another brand speaker that weill give good sound and bass without an amp? Thanks

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your truck have the 8.4 Alpine system in it now?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I put these in the front doors of my 2018 Big Horn with 8.4 UConnect and stock 6 speaker system.

Pioneer TS-A6966R 6" X 9" 3-Way Speaker

Dropped right in there with no hassles, without spacers, and have decent, clear bass.

TomT has asked an important question, though. The premium Alpine 9 speaker system has a bunch of frequency crossovers in play, the end result being the front speakers don't get the full frequency spectrum sent to them.

You need to answer his question first before the group can answer properly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I am pretty sure the Alpine S series will drop right in...but that is what I have heard, I'd still take measurements to be sure. I like Alpine and Pioneer. Both brands have been making 6x9's for longer than I have been alive. Price point will probably dictate most...and speaker depth obviously

Jeffmiller32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking st the type S and Crutchfield said they won’t fit. I think it has something to do with that bass blocker they put on the 2 way speakers.

Crutchfield is the way to go. They’ll get you free wiring harnesses and mounts if you go with 6.5s. I ended up going with kickers all the way around. With the harnesses and mounts it was like 15 minutes each door. The 3.5 actually took the longest since I’ve got big hands and not a lot space against the back windshield.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I put these in the front doors of my 2018 Big Horn with 8.4 UConnect and stock 6 speaker system.

Pioneer TS-A6966R 6" X 9" 3-Way Speaker

Dropped right in there with no hassles, without spacers, and have decent, clear bass.

TomT has asked an important question, though. The premium Alpine 9 speaker system has a bunch of frequency crossovers in play, the end result being the front speakers don't get the full frequency spectrum sent to them.

You need to answer his question first before the group can answer properly.

I bought the Pioneer A6966R and they sounded like absolute garbage.

They do mount in the existing holes from factory, I swapped to jbl club 9630 and they blew them outta the water.

I only bought the pioneer cuz they were under $50 and they are shallow mount so they will not rub against the window bracket in the front doors.

But they were absolute garbage, i installed only the right side and the left oem speaker sounded better then the right one did, so I just swapped them for jbl.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I bought the Pioneer A6966R and they sounded like absolute garbage.

But they were absolute garbage, i installed only the right side and the left oem speaker sounded better then the right one did, so I just swapped them for jbl.

I did the same thing when I installed the Pioneers. After I had swapped one speaker out, I had one Pioneer and one OEM in the front doors. The Pioneer was obviously clearer, louder, and had more bass, and clearer bass. Turning up the volume really brought out the distortion in the OEM speaker. Just terrible sounding. Pioneer was much cleaner.

Everybody has different tastes but I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people that those crappy, lightweight, paper coned OEM speakers sound better than Pioneer aftermarket speakers.

It's possible the JBL's sound better than the Pioneers, not disputing that. Kind of wonder how they would with a frequency response of 50hz to 20Khz, whereas the Pioneers go down to 28hz. Pioneers are also more sensitive, so will play louder.

But really the only way to know is to have a set of both speakers hooked up to the same source and switch between each set of speakers, noting the differences.

Last edited:

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
What i didnt like about the pioneer, and **** i have been a pioneer fan since the 90s - was they did not offer a tape cushion thingy to close up the space between the speaker and the mounting points - didnt really care but now I care since the sound was not impressive.

Same thing he magnet was literally the same size as the oem alpine - i didnt care just wanted better sound.

The speaker actually felt like paper mache material where the oem alpine was a blue plasticy thing again I didnt care but now I am looking for things to rag about that speaker cuz it did not meet my expectations.

Also I forgot to menion I have the alpine 9.1 system, we would have to assume the alpine oem is better then non alpine oem.

Believe me, I wanted the pioneer to work, I only purchased after reading like 2-3 different people stating they dropped right in and improved the sound over stock, not the case for me though :(