Aftermarket amp interference issue with RF Module (key fob and TPMS) 2022 RAM Laramie 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warehousefinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Installed two JL Audio VXI-5000 amps with the VXI hub. Sounds incredible. Unfortunately, now my TPMS does not connect (just dashes) and while I can unlock/lock the doors and remote start, I am getting the "key fob has left the vehicle" msg when driving and the car honks 3 times if you open the doors and shut them while started.

My stereo shop, (by the way they are awesome), has tried several times to isolate the issue. They finally determined that one of the amps seems to be interfering with the RF Module. The amps are about a year apart in age (one is new), and the older one is the one that seems to be the issue, as evidenced by isolating the amps. They switched the amp locations and the problem persisted.

The questions: Anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions for maybe shielding between the amp and the module? Has anyone heard of inferior chips being used in the new Ram modules?

I appreciate your feedback!

Attachments

• 20220929_180310.jpg
    20220929_180310.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20221119_102420_Gmail (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20221119_102420_Gmail (1).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 20

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's not the RAM's modules, or anythiing to do with inferior chips, it's the amp emitting RF noise. Very common issue with some amps. The RF module is on the back wall of your truck, probably only inches away from your amp. You are best off replacing the amp. If you shield the RF module, it will prevent it from talking to other systems, if you shield the amp it will affect it's cooling abilities. Have you tried swapping the amp's locations? Maybe by putting the "leaky one" on the passenger side will help. Cheap and easy to do!

OP
OP
W

warehousefinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks for the reply chopperman1. They swapped the amp locations after isolating the one "bad" amp and the issues still persisted. I am going to reach out to JL and see if they will warranty the amp. Next step is to try and relocate the amp. I don't want to replace the amp if at all possible. The two amps are running parallel and it sounds amazing.

OP
OP
W

warehousefinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Update - Crutchfield is swapping my amp out. Just going to be w/out tunes for a week or so.

zrock

Reaction score
Amps are way to close, as well as the wires are probably running close to wires that run communications for the truck. It could be the wires running to teh amps as well that are causing the issue if they are to close to factory wire harness. You are always to try and keep the wires away from the factory harness especially in the newer veh where the wires are smaller and are more likely to get interference. I have seen this several times even in my own veh when i got lazy and did not rout the wiring like i should.. I had my VHF fry my amp and mess with all kinds of electronics in my truck because i mounted my antenna to close and routed the wire wrong.. Not something you want to find out when your piloting a oversize load, luckily i always carry a portable

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have JL VXi amps in that same location and I have never experienced that issue