Aftermarket Center Cap Chrome Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my truck it had/ has a set of 18” Ultra Motorsport (Chrome) wheels on it. The wheels have some early on set pitting. Since I like the style of the wheel and hate chrome I’m going to get them Powder Coated to match the silver on my truck.

As for the center caps, I want to strip the chrome and paint them blue to color match my truck. I found a few different methods for DIY chrome removal. One using “The Works Toliet Cleaner.” The post I found said to pour it on a towel and rub the part to strip, that it will remove the chrome. Has anyone heard of this method or have a method that has worked for them?? Again I want a DYI method. Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciate!!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If these are plastic caps then Easy Off oven cleaner should do the trick and not damage the plastic. It's an old trick used by the plastic model crowd so they can paint chromed plastic parts.

Another way is to get some Westley's Bleche-Wite tire whitewall cleaner and spray it on the parts.

OP
OP
MikeG71

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@MADDOG

Thanks Michael, the caps are plastic. I’ve seen the Easy Off trick, maybe if one doesn’t work as well I’ll experiment with others. ;)