Aftermarket LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meubin10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey! I wanted to post a pic of my RAM with aftermarket LED headlights, and I have some questions as well.

First, I have a 2012 RAM 1500 ST Quad Cab with the dual beam headlights (9008/H13 bulb type). Not projectors, the reflector type. The halogen bulbs were terrible. The bulbs looked pretty old when I got them out to swap in LEDs, but I also like the LEDs much better in general. I don't drive often, especially at night, but I like to have good visibility when I do.

These are Torchbeam LEDs I bought from Amazon: Torchbeam T2 H13/9008 LED Bulbs Kit, 12000 Lumens 6500K Super Bright Replacement Bulbs, 400% Brightness, Canbus Ready, Plug and Play with Fan, 50,000 Hours Lifespan, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZMVNC...abc_XC5K5QM73KBS6Y5RSACV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't install any resistors, and everything seems okay overall. I feel like there is an occasional flicker, but I honestly can't tell. It's extremely subtle, so I'm not sure if it's actually flickering due to lacking a decoder / resistor, or if perhaps the cheap LEDs are just vibrating a bit. They don't turn off at all, it seems more like they just go subtly dim for a second and return to normal. Does this sound like a true flicker, or more like it's just because they're cheap?

I ultimately want to get some of the higher end LEDs, but also projector housings. I've seen a lot about Alpharex here so that's probably the route I'll go.

Any thoughts on the "flickering"?

B9EC0520-22B5-4009-80A1-5AACFECFEA2E.jpeg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine sometimes flicker as well. I just cough it up as thats what they do. This is my second set in my truck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 12.42.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 12.42.32 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
OP
OP
M

meubin10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine sometimes flicker as well. I just cough it up as thats what they do. This is my second set in my truck.

Thanks! What LEDs do you have in yours? I also thought about doing my fog lights, but I hate removing the bumper...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine were Amazon Error free. You can do the fog lights without removing the grill. It’s not hard.

OP
OP
M

meubin10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine were Amazon Error free. You can do the fog lights without removing the grill. It’s not hard.

Oh. I'll have to look into that, the one or two things I saw mentioned removing the grill and bumper.

EDIT I see now. What i saw about removing bumper / grill was probably about swapping the assemblies or something, not just bulbs.

Last edited: