Aftermarket Suspension / Shock advise - Carli vs. Thuren

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Experimentation time! Just pulled the camper off. I haven't really driven the truck without it. I'm going to see if what I'm feeling truly is the camper weight or just the dynamics of a straight axle 3/4 ton truck. I am pretty confident it's the camper, but we shall see.

And BTW holy balls it's hot here, like 108-110 hot.

20210605_145851.jpg

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you ever consider running an off-road camper trailer?

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Experimentation complete! The truck actually rides better with the camper, especially the rear end. The front end, no change really, the rear just seems more leveled out when hitting bumps. I really think weight in the rear helps control the ride. ....however, much can be improved. I think a full Carli setup is in my future....

MisterQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2016 Ram 1500 4X4
Factory tow package
35x12.50xR17

Installed a Carli pin top (performance system) with boxed UCA’s literally first year I purchased the truck. Run it hard off roading multiple times a year in CA AZ UT NV etc
Also tow a 2020 Winnebago micro minnie 1708FB multiple times a year for remote dry dispersed camping. Trailer is approx 3,100lbs dry

I have never had an issue off roading or towing even loaded down. I would go with the Carli trust me.

I literally just got back home from a 7 day dispersed camp with that truck pulling that trailer 1000 mile round trip 3 days of off roading near June lake mammoth lakes Crowley lake and all along Owens River in CA. Zero issues. Rinse and repeat.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
on my 2017 1500 quad cab..., I had 3" drop springs for the rear. leveled it out nicely. want to do the same for my 2012, where can I get the 3" drop cause al I am seeing is 2" drop for the rear.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I'm not much help as I typically only have about 500 lbs or so in the bed of my truck at at time but I ended up ordering Thuren's Fox 2.0 with external resi kit up front and their Fox IFS and Thuren springs out back. Held off as long as I possible could with the stock suspension (just turned 40,000 miles) but after a death wobble moment this week, I said fuggit and pulled the trigger.

Should have everything in the next few weeks.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
who cares about your 1500. this is pw section bro

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
on my 2017 1500 quad cab..., I had 3" drop springs for the rear. leveled it out nicely. want to do the same for my 2012, where can I get the 3" drop cause al I am seeing is 2" drop for the rear.

May want to check over in the other section. Not too many dropped PW's. good luck!

ksonnen1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the CARLI Back Country lift system. It's a softer ride all around. I added air bags to the rear for towing because it really squatted towing 8k toy hauler. its hard to have the best of both worlds when it comes to heavy duty trucks and ride comfort..

dakozicki

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have the same set up and concerns So, I will be following closely. Have you see the YouTube video "Trail Recon?" He has a PW and FWC. He upgraded the suspension to a Carli system and had it installed by CJC. I live in Reno and contacted Carli who recommended a local dealer. I am waiting to hear back from them.

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
I did the CARLI Back Country lift system. It's a softer ride all around. I added air bags to the rear for towing because it really squatted towing 8k toy hauler. its hard to have the best of both worlds when it comes to heavy duty trucks and ride comfort..

What airbag system did you use.

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update- I wound up going the Thuren route. Carli was just more lift than I wanted with a camper in the back. My CG is already high enough. 1 1/2 springs up front (would do 1/2 if I could do it over) with front track bar. I wound up going with the "overland" shock until the wait time for Kings come down. Night and day difference. The front rides soooo much better. I was bottoming on woops before, at a pretty low speed. It handles so much more compliance now

Out back went with their rear track bar/drop bracket. I really need to figure out the springs, I have airbags now but feel they add a "bounce" to the rear. I also have a rocking motion (air bags are isolated) I was hoping the track bar would fix it, it did not. I also have the big wig sway bar too. My goal is to get some stiffer non- pw rear spring and see if I can transfer more of the weigh to those as opposed to the air bags.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update- I wound up going the Thuren route. Carli was just more lift than I wanted with a camper in the back. My CG is already high enough. 1 1/2 springs up front (would do 1/2 if I could do it over) with front track bar. I wound up going with the "overland" shock until the wait time for Kings come down. Night and day difference. The front rides soooo much better. I was bottoming on woops before, at a pretty low speed. It handles so much more compliance now

Out back went with their rear track bar/drop bracket. I really need to figure out the springs, I have airbags now but feel they add a "bounce" to the rear. I also have a rocking motion (air bags are isolated) I was hoping the track bar would fix it, it did not. I also have the big wig sway bar too. My goal is to get some stiffer non- pw rear spring and see if I can transfer more of the weigh to those as opposed to the air bags.
Give this guys a call or email: https://deaverspring.com/
Save for 2500 HD springs in the back, i don't think Thuren or Carli will have anything for you and the weight you have.
They aint cheap since it would be custom springs based for you. they'll ask you for part numbers of your rear springs. then based on that you can tell them how much extra weight you have now, how much sag you have etc etc.

Have fun.

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought I would update this since someone responded to my old post.

I wound up going with Icon cdcv 2.5 remote reservoir shocks. I won't leave a review here as I plan on writing up a new thread discussing them in detail.