Aftermarket Transmission Cooler Mounting on 4th Gen Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NicksGarage

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Success today with the transmission cooler. Picked up a 1960 New Yorker parts car down the mountain. Outside temperature in the morning was 71 degrees. Didn't run the cooler fan and the dash showed the trans temperature getting up to 147. By time I got the car loaded, it was getting up to 90 degrees outside. I waited until the trans temp got up to 192 and turned on the cooler fan. Quickly dropped down to 162 and turned the fan off. By time I started going up the mountain, the outside temperature got up to 96 degrees. The trans temp got up to 191 before I turned the fan on again. It dropped to 172 by the time I got home.

I'm bypassing the temperature switch that came with the cooler because the fluid temp at the switch is lower than what the dash is showing so the fan wasn't coming on when the truck indicated the trans temp was above the 185 degree trigger. Didn't want to find out how hot it had to get to actually turn on. That will be a test for another time.

Attachments

• 20231007_112939.jpg
    20231007_112939.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Success today with the transmission cooler. Picked up a 1960 New Yorker parts car down the mountain. Outside temperature in the morning was 71 degrees. Didn't run the cooler fan and the dash showed the trans temperature getting up to 147. By time I got the car loaded, it was getting up to 90 degrees outside. I waited until the trans temp got up to 192 and turned on the cooler fan. Quickly dropped down to 162 and turned the fan off. By time I started going up the mountain, the outside temperature got up to 96 degrees. The trans temp got up to 191 before I turned the fan on again. It dropped to 172 by the time I got home.

I'm bypassing the temperature switch that came with the cooler because the fluid temp at the switch is lower than what the dash is showing so the fan wasn't coming on when the truck indicated the trans temp was above the 185 degree trigger. Didn't want to find out how hot it had to get to actually turn on. That will be a test for another time.
Isn't the cooler fan switch adjustable?