Aftermarket Undercoating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Unfortunately that video for me gets an asterisk behind it. I have seen chevys younger than that with worse frames. So I think trumps response works here....it is what it is.

Done wrong , spraying over and trapping damp dirt will cause this outcome. This process and product has this gamble associated. Fluid film products are very slimy and make everything look FILTHY. Much like any job, if it is to be done right, it's done best by you. I had 80 miles on mine. Had it undercoated. I won't be returning. I'll let my "warranty" lapse. FYI the warranty is the same as RAM but is not full replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You need a fluid film undercoater like we have here in Sudbury Ontario. No half ass jobs, he treats every vehicle like it's his own. Air blast all the krud off, pressure wash if needed, and let's dry, then long wand into all the panels, doors, frame, all hinges, latched, battery terminals. In behind wheel well liners, he will even pull taillights for better access to inside of box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Rust Check is what I started using about three years ago. It came highly recommended by a friend of mine who is extremely tight with his $$$. The new Ram will be getting a dose this fall.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did kind of a quick and dirty fluid film job on my new to me 2019 classic right after I got it in July. I only had about 1 and a quarter quarts of FF on hand at the time.

Just yesterday I did a full blown Woolwax job on it. I've got the system down given this is about the 4x I've done a 4th gen Ram 1500.

Woolwax is best to do on a hot day, especially if it's going to be warm and rain free for a while. This will give you the best results.

All the doors have two large rectangular shaped drain holes you can access under the weatherstripping to get product into the bottom of the doors. I just blow it straight through with the short tip on the gun. You'll see mist come out the drain on the other end of the door bottom. Same with the tailgate. The tailgate has a few other access holes you can use with the wand.

The rocker panels are so easy because of all the huge access holes. Most have tape on them from the factory, but the tape is kind of pointless given all the wide-open holes that aren't taped.

To do the best job possible in the back, you need to pull the rear fender liners to get into all the nooks and crannies inside the liners. I think it's 11 bolts each. They come out w/out having to remove the rear wheels.

You're always going to miss areas, which is why yearly re-sprays are important. I would think if you do a really good job 2-3 years in a row with woolwax, you could probably skip a year here and there.

My truck has the lovely woolwax smell from 15 feet away. WW does smell very nice compared to FF.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I talked to them yesterday. Sounds like they use a wax based product in certain areas and a black colored tar or something on the frame? How does yours look? My understanding is that the undercoating is not the same as the bed coating material. The price seems reasonable.

Look at these 2 sites on the internet. They better describe the after finish better than what I can describe. I am happy with the job they did on my truck. I went to Linex-in Knoxville.
youtube.com/watch?v=GhhPdH_md3I
linexofknoxville.net/undercoating
Good Luck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at these 2 sites on the internet. They better describe the after finish better than what I can describe. I am happy with the job they did on my truck. I went to Linex-in Knoxville.
youtube.com/watch?v=GhhPdH_md3I
linexofknoxville.net/undercoating
Good Luck.

Thanks for the info, I live in Upstate NY home of Rock Salt, Salt Brine, Magnesium Chloride, enough to rot metal out in 3-4 years

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What does line-x charge for their rust proofing service for a Ram?

Some of them, like corrosion fee, can be $400 or more per application and it's not a once and done thing regardless if their claims.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Visually the material Line-X applies in that video resembles WoolWax.
It is suppopse to be for as long as I own the truck, according to the main at the front. Just be sure to keep all your paperwork and RECEIPT of payment.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What does line-x charge for their rust proofing service for a Ram?

Some of them, like corrosion fee, can be $400 or more per application and it's not a once and done thing regardless if their claims.

Undercoating and rust proffing was $599.99 plus tax. Knoxville and surrounding area use a lot of of brine. The roads look white for a few days afterwards.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone in the upper Midwest or Eastern side have their truck undercoated? I know there is the black tar style Ziebart does, as well as a Cosmoline type wax and maybe something else. So can those of you who have done so, relate your success or failure with the process. Maybe too early to tell on a 5th gen, but previous experience? My poor 98 Dakota that I got in California, rusted to death quickly once the Wisconsin salt got hold of it. I'd like to keep the new Laramie looking good for as long as possible

I used Line-x undercoating along with rust proffing on my new 2020 Ram. Looks good to me. The counterman said it is for lifetime of truck for original owner at time of application. Be sure to keep all papers and the sales RECEIPT.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone in the upper Midwest or Eastern side have their truck undercoated? I know there is the black tar style Ziebart does, as well as a Cosmoline type wax and maybe something else. So can those of you who have done so, relate your success or failure with the process. Maybe too early to tell on a 5th gen, but previous experience? My poor 98 Dakota that I got in California, rusted to death quickly once the Wisconsin salt got hold of it. I'd like to keep the new Laramie looking good for as long as possible

Take a gander at https://www.linexst.com/rustproofing. It details what it does and the warranty.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I finally got a camera. Here are some photos of Linex undercoating. I asked my service advisor and he said it would not avoid the warranty. For articles, saying, rust proofing and undercoat are the same are 100% wrong. Rustproof is a mist or fog that is done on the inside cavities of the tailgate, side panels, doors, and those kinds of places. I don't know what the undercoating consists of but as far as sand, water, and salt getting under that seems impossible as there is nowhere for it to enter. Linex waits for total dryness before undercoating. They also disassemble some parts and coat them with something else. I have attached a few photos in case you want a peek. Mike
IMG_1422 (1).JPG IMG_1419 (2).JPG
IMG_1420 (1).JPG

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is nothing to be gained by any aftermarket coating. Better if driving on salted roads to power wash the underside of the truck more often.
Sorry Bud but your statement doesn't have a lot of truth to it.Washing would be better than nothing but not much.Might save your frame but nothing else.The panels on these trucks rust from the inside out usually in places where you can't get at to wash.