AGS removed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cooler temps are the only thing ags delete helps. Less strain on the water pump if you do the v6 fan as well and reduced rotating mass on the engine. Cooler temps are good for tuning. More life out of the water pump And less rotating mass means peppier acceleration with the v6 fan
Edit. In simple terms the ags helps to reduce engine temps and that gives room for tuning abilities. Also with ags delete you are less likely to end up with heat soak in the engine bay

So my understanding was the AGS would open if cooling was necessary?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my understanding was the AGS would open if cooling was necessary?
You understand correctly. It is supposed to help the vehicle warm up faster as well by staying closed. It was programmed to open depending on speed, coolant temp, trans temp, ac on or off, and a few other engine parameters like load. It also restricts airflow to keep the temps up higher. Higher temps generally mean less air density which means less fuel. Both of those equate to less power. My truck and many others ran about 212° coolant and 220° oil under normal driving. Higher if towing or hauling. I removed the ags and my truck ran at 203° coolant and 212° oil almost constantly due to no restriction to airflow. The higher temp with the Ags system in place aids in better fuel economy. Well supposedly. I didn’t notice any difference. I’m now running a 190 tstat and constantly run 192° coolant and 203° oil. If I’m running hard I may hit 195-196° coolant and 210° oil. My trans generally doesn’t go over 186° anymore unless highway or hauling.

R

Rogues Gambit

All good and all, just need the diy guide to doing this mod, as I don't exactly know where to start and I hate any lack of cooling

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good and all, just need the diy guide to doing this mod, as I don't exactly know where to start and I hate any lack of cooling
If you have Facebook look up tuned rams and message Jason dauria. He has a kit. Or go on YouTube and look up ram ags delete

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I would caution anyone in the sub-freezing climates to leave the AGS intact. If you enjoy much longer coolant warm up times, go for it especially with the mechanical fan spitting frigid air at the heads.

Deleting them is negligible for cooling once they’re open. The honeycomb grill probably catches more ambient air.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would caution anyone in the sub-freezing climates to leave the AGS intact. If you enjoy much longer coolant warm up times, go for it especially with the mechanical fan spitting frigid air at the heads.

Deleting them is negligible for cooling once they’re open. The honeycomb grill probably catches more ambient air.
Given my truck ran 212 with ags and 203 with only the ags delete it would seem that the ags is designed to keep temps higher and do not run full open all the time. If the ags is removed it’ll run just like older vehicles for warmup. Also the v6 fan is usually a good combination to run with the ags delete to help keep warmup to a minimum and free up some HP while you’re at it. My truck warms up pretty quickly. It definitely warms up faster now with the ags delete and v6 fan than it did prior due to the fan not turning on to draw air through the radiator until temps are above your set point. Also you can either put on a grill cover to aid in warmup or use cardboard with holes cut in it in front of the radiator during the cold season.

R

Rogues Gambit

Was going to ask about the V6 fan:

Same guy who did my DRL's could do it, just double checking all this still applies to our 5th gens

R

Rogues Gambit

Same guy who did my DRL's could do it, just double checking all this still applies to our 5th gens

Nvm, said in another video our '19s have electric fans

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nvm, said in another video our '19s have electric fans
The 19 classic is a 4th gen. The 19 new body has a different setup. It’s got a huge electric fan. I’m actually interested to see if it’ll swap into a 4th gen.

OP
OP
1morepart

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AGS May help with fuel mileage via aerodynamics. It also helps the motor get to its “operating” temperature quicker. It all boils down to cafe (emissions standards). The faster the motor gets warm the less “pollution “. I live in the hot as$ south. I have several ram trucks. If I can get mine to run cooler, it definitely helps engine performance and possibly durability. As you know when I started this post, I deleted the AGS and added a 180 thermostat. She runs better and I definitely didn’t buy it for gas mileage;however, I still haven’t noticed any decrease or increase in mpg. As for the v6 e fan, I’ve done that too. My 2020 came with an e fan. I highly recommend a tune, but a t stat change and the proper kit from Jason on Facebook for AGS delete does not require one. Y’all stay safe. Ig. Triplej345ci

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 19 new body has a different setup. It’s got a huge electric fan. I’m actually interested to see if it’ll swap into a 4th gen.
The fan used in the Gen5 trucks is the same size/type as the one used in the Gen4 body EcoDiesel. It will probably bolt in but it's is PWM driven from the ECM, the EcoD uses a different style ECM from the gassers. You would need to find a PWM controller as that is how it is started, speed control and stopped. It's also quite loud if running full speed, it's an 850 watt(71 amps) fan motor.

OP
OP
1morepart

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The fan used in the Gen5 trucks is the same size/type as the one used in the Gen4 body EcoDiesel. It will probably bolt in but it's is PWM driven from the ECM, the EcoD uses a different style ECM from the gassers. You would need to find a PWM controller as that is how it is started, speed control and stopped. It's also quite loud if running full speed, it's an 850 watt(71 amps) fan motor.
Correct. Just get the v6 fan.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I just removed my AGS on my 2020. Threw the CEL. So I removed the motor from ags housing and zip ******* by drivers headlight. Plugged it in and still had cel. I disconnected the battery over night and now no cel. I'm good to go.

I just removed the AGS shutters, I left the middle one connected to the servo motor. I also installed a 190* thermostat, but now my truck has a Check Engine light. Im going to disconnect the battery overnight and see if it goes away. Fingers Crossed.

I did the exact same thing to my 4th gen and it was never a problem.

EDIT: I bet I will have to disconnect the servo motor like you did. I turned the truck on this morning and the Check Engine light was off, but the AGS kept cycling opened and closed like it was trying to figure out why the truck wasnt coming up to temp. After my ride to work tomorrow ill know because it should give me another Check Engine light.

EDIT: Rode in to work this morning with NO Check Engine light! Coolant temps were a steady 197*, Oil temps at 203*, and Trans temps at 186*. All is good in the neighborhood! :cool:

EDIT: Update again. Check Engine light came back yesterday on the ride home. After work one day this week I will unplug the AGS motor, reset my battery overnight, and hope for the best...

Last edited:

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I unplugged both the Grill Shutter and Air Dam since they are on the same circuit, also unplugged positive battery cable overnight. Check Engine light came back on this morning.

Has anyone stopped this from happening? Could I possibly pull the fuse that feeds this system?

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Apologies for beating this thread to death, but anyone attempting this mod should know this before hand.

I reinstalled my upper and lower shutters and reinstalled the little bracket that connects all the shutters together. I plugged in the shutters and air dam, and now the truck can operate as normal.

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GONE!

I still have plenty of air flow through the grill.

The Upper and Lower shutters MUST REMAIN INSTALLED to prevent the Check Engine light. You simply CANNOT rip everything out and zip tie the wires up. You WILL HAVE a Check Engine light that way.

muhfreedumz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have a forum username, contact info or a place to buy Jason D from FB's kit? I don't have have facebook but would like to purchase his bracket.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not super loud, I really only know it is running if outside or driving on a cool day 60 X4. Other times I neva hear, radio on. But that 850 W sure throws out the heat, LOL.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I would of taken pics from my intercooler install but just threw the plastic junk in a box,I was more worried about drilling the crank,and the goofy overflow procharger provided F4871B61-9B95-4CA5-A2B2-9406F7CAC91A.jpeg50FA9A02-4247-4195-9DC1-93A2AAF7EA6C.jpegimage.jpg