Air bags or the timber progressive bumpstops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crash is correct on the front axle unloading. Only way to offset is with a weight distributing hitch.
What if a WDH is not an option due to the configuration of my new trailer?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What is the max payload rating on your 20ft trailer?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I assume your not loading it to its max but even if you were I wouldnt think you would need a weight distribution hitch with that weight. I know people say that anything over 3500lbs you need it but not with a 3/4 ton truck. I have pulled several different trailers from my work ranging from small 16’ up to large 25’ rated at 10000 lbs trailer and I do not need a weight distribution hitch. They all pull very well As long as you know how to distribute your weight correctly. I did put the air bags on just for the larger trailer and it made a huge difference in the way it stabilized everything but I did it mainly because it sagged the rear end a bit. I do have a 2 in leveling kit that made it worse. So at 5000 lbs I would think you would be good with your 3/4 ton truck not putting bars on. Air bags would be your best bet.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I assume your not loading it to its max but even if you were I wouldnt think you would need a weight distribution hitch with that weight. I know people say that anything over 3500lbs you need it but not with a 3/4 ton truck. I have pulled several different trailers from my work ranging from small 16’ up to large 25’ rated at 10000 lbs trailer and I do not need a weight distribution hitch. They all pull very well As long as you know how to distribute your weight correctly. I did put the air bags on just for the larger trailer and it made a huge difference in the way it stabilized everything but I did it mainly because it sagged the rear end a bit. I do have a 2 in leveling kit that made it worse. So at 5000 lbs I would think you would be good with your 3/4 ton truck not putting bars on. Air bags would be your best bet.
I second that at your trailers weight, 5000lbs payload on a 20’ trailer isn’t much.

tgrfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have not invested in a WDH due to never needing one in the past even with my f150 on the same trailer hauling the same payload. However it did have an extra leaf spring in the stack.
I had a WDH on a 30 foot front kitchen Dutchmen and when I added air bags to my 95 2500 CTD I was able to do away with the WDH! My progression led me to a 98 12V with air bags and finally a 36 foot fiver with about 2800# of pin weight. 60# of air leveled the truck with both campers but as the fiver "grew" I bumped it up to 65#. When I got our 2018 3500 CTD SRW that growth was to 3350# of pin weight! I am considering adding air bags to this truck.
I always carry an air compressor anyway and airing up the bags is no big deal to me. I don't tow at night usually but leveling the truck would be nice for the headlights and because I am used to towing level for the last 23 years.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a WDH on a 30 foot front kitchen Dutchmen and when I added air bags to my 95 2500 CTD I was able to do away with the WDH! My progression led me to a 98 12V with air bags and finally a 36 foot fiver with about 2800# of pin weight. 60# of air leveled the truck with both campers but as the fiver "grew" I bumped it up to 65#. When I got our 2018 3500 CTD SRW that growth was to 3350# of pin weight! I am considering adding air bags to this truck.
I always carry an air compressor anyway and airing up the bags is no big deal to me. I don't tow at night usually but leveling the truck would be nice for the headlights and because I am used to towing level for the last 23 years.
I installed the air lift 5000 on my 2500. I then went out bought a craftsman air compressor that runs off battery or 12v power cord. I carry a battery with me but I also purchased a 25ft extension cord for the 12v power. It does very well is convenient as I can store it under the rear seat.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm a fan of airbags. Have had them on my last two trucks ,both 350, 3500 1 tons. I tow a heavy fifth wheel. IMO either brand Firestone or Air lift. Have run both . Currently the Air Lift 5000 air bags , and their 72000 compressor with remote control . Great setup . Automatically maintains whatever air pressure you have air bags set at .

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well thanks for all the advice. Im going airbags for sure and if I can make it work I will add A WDH. Now to decide on what brand air bags

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well thanks for all the advice. Im going airbags for sure and if I can make it work I will add A WDH. Now to decide on what brand air bags
IMO the best priced ones , as said I’ve had both Air lift , and Firestone both worked about the same , I couldn’t tell you my preference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio