Air Compressor recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I’m looking to buy an air compressor to take on my road trips with the camper. The criteria is to have the ability to pump my TT tires to 80 lbs and my E rated truck tires to approximately 55 or 60. When I’m on the road I check and fill all the tires before I leave the CG so a plug in would work, except when I’m on the road. If I remember to take my generator I’m fine, , but a portable would eliminate that scenario. I think I have it narrowed down to three.
The Porter Cable 2.5 gallon portable seems to be highly reviewed but it requires 120 volts. Not a deal breaker but unusable on the road without a generator. ( I probably shouldn’t worry so much).
the Viair that is way more money that I want to spend on a 12 volt, unless I can trust it to last long term.
Im also considering the Ryobi 18 volt 1 gallon compressor that would be very convenient without a cord but by the time I add the needed accessories I’m over 200 dollars. What works for you campers out there?

Go to Harbor Freight and get a 5 gal air compressor.

OP
OP
P

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks everyone. Lots of good thoughts.

RacerRon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Harbor freight has a viair knock off 150 PSI for $69

MN2500

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr ecoTorque
I also have a Ryobi 18v inflator for the 2500 and TT. It works great!

Blklabfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a cheap HF Bauer 20V portable that goes to 150PSI. I've used it a couple of times to top off the 5th wheel tires to 110PSI. Set the desired pressure and it shuts off automatically. So far, the most it's had to do is from 105 to the 110. 2-3 minutes. It also runs on a cigar lighter. It comes with a toy inglation hose. So far so good. I had the battery and charger for other tools, so I didn't need to buy those

naclty1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I own the Ryobi one plus air compressor that Ramffl has. My Tt tires are set at 65 psi per the manufacturer and the unit works great at topping off the tires of as I found out last spring and it’ll take a bad bead tire from 20 to 65. The two amp battery hung in there, the unit did get warm from pumping all that time, but it didn’t fail me.
I think I paid 20 for the compressor with no battery and then the battery and charger was another 70. The compressor comes with attachments to fill football/basketballs and inflatable tubes, etc.
I highly recommend it.

mrclean426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Bought the Makita at home depot (200 i think) great air compressor, very quiet and recovers quickly. it is 120 volt but when charged it holds the air for weeks without leaking off. Easy to manhandle. I use it on my farm all the time

Laps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do a lot of off roading via overlanding exploring (i.e. Utah, Colorado, etc) and the ViAir I have used the past 3 years has worked extremely well. I can inflate four tires (Toyo Open Country 285/75/18) from 25 psi to 55 psi in under 30 minutes (and I've done it in 20 minutes in a rush), and that includes moving from one tire to the next and inflating accordingly.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Gas 6.4L V8
Craftsman works well. $50

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well. I can tell you what not to try. I was hooked up and pulled out a $8-$10 harbor freight yellow compressor. I didn't care how long it ran for as long. It actually destroyed it. I starting losing air. I had to haul out an AC compressor anyway. The yellow compressor was toast. It wouldn't even pump up a bike tire anymore.

Mark47ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
I USA 20lb aluminum co2 bottle like a fountain coke machine uses with a purge regulator. 15 ft hose. Co2 expands at 270 psi. This last about two years between fills, also use it to drive all kinds of nil guns. I GOT RID OF my noisy compressors. Refill tank or trade out at welding gas supply store.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Last year, I decided a new portable inflator was something I needed, as my old one was dying quickly. Looked at several including the Viair (which is definitely top shelf stuff and worth every dollar), but went with a Milwaukee 12-volt unit. For such a small and relatively inexpensive inflator, it does really well for my truck and 5th Wheel tires.

Keep in mind that virtually all inflators will achieve ~150 psi (according to their ads), but the salient question should be, "how much volume?" Truck and 5th Wheel tires are generally larger than those on a Prius, so volume is important. My old Campbell Hausfeld would do the 150 psi, but not the volume. None of them are going to inflate as quickly as a real (shop type) compressor. Also, about the Harbor Fright stuff... there is an old but true adage, "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances." I get it... their stuff is low priced and carries impressive brand names (i.e., Bauer, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Predator, etc.), and they really need our money, but consider what will (or not) work for your when you need it the most.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I USA 20lb aluminum co2 bottle like a fountain coke machine uses with a purge regulator. 15 ft hose. Co2 expands at 270 psi. This last about two years between fills, also use it to drive all kinds of nil guns. I GOT RID OF my noisy compressors. Refill tank or trade out at welding gas supply store.

I used to do this with my jeep, I had a 15lbs tank. The only issue in the North East is, there are several tunnels/bridges that do not allow compressed gas tanks.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When we had our TT I used my at home air compressor before any trip and just topped up along the way at service stations using a quality air pressure gauge that I know was baselined against a reference gauge.

However, since we bought our coach, I carry a Viair 450.....works freaking great to fill the coach OTR tires, has its own carry bag that neatly fits all the fittings. I am very happy with it.

Ch

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I bought this. I already have some of their other tools so I just needed the tool itself without battery/charger. It's "home owner" quality so Dewalt and Milwauke etc are probably better built but you don't need to spend that unless you're in construction and beating on it all day like I used to do.
Me too. I love it. Throw it in the truck under the back seat for emergency use on a road trip. Pair it with the 4 kh battery and it will go a long time.

tuckerdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Have a 6 gallon pancake compressor, but the outlet on the dash of my 2016 2500 didn't have the **** to run it. Found a 1 gallon pancake at Wally World, but still too much for the truck's outlet. So bought a 750W inverter ( $40 at Wally World ). It'll run the 1 gallon compressor. Later found a new 1000W invertor at a garage sale for $25. It'll run the 6 gallon. Both inverters just clip to the truck battery. IMG_0408 (1).jpg

Greg1780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I have a Ryobi battery operated compressor. This fills my 5th wheel tires to 110 without any hesitation, it also fills pool toys, Air Mattresses ext.
This compressor inflates to 200 PSI and shuts off when it reaches the psi settings. Best compressor I’ve ever had.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Heavy as hell,but it's almost as good as my home compressor.