Air down tires ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In winter conditions keep the pressure on...

Driving in Iowa in the middle of winter on ice, lower the pressure if you want to stay out of the ditches. Lots of hearsay about handling and blowing a tire from low pressure. When you can't drive over 45mph without sliding off the road tire pressure makes a huge difference.

Why do tires have a max pressure and not a minimum pressure? My jeep has 15psi in the tires right now, chalk test says pressure is perfect for 35s and 3000lbs. I know we are talking 2500 so yes the pressure will be higher, just not as high as people think. My work rigs are 3/4 ton truck used on mine sites in the middle of nowhere, I run 30-35 psi year around to keep from beating the driver to death off-road. I have dropped the tires to 20psi in winter while commuting from Carlin NV to Los Angeles. Only time I would go up pressure was when trailering or quick change oil kids filled up the tires.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Driving in Iowa in the middle of winter on ice, lower the pressure if you want to stay out of the ditches. Lots of hearsay about handling and blowing a tire from low pressure. When you can't drive over 45mph without sliding off the road tire pressure makes a huge difference.

Why do tires have a max pressure and not a minimum pressure? My jeep has 15psi in the tires right now, chalk test says pressure is perfect for 35s and 3000lbs. I know we are talking 2500 so yes the pressure will be higher, just not as high as people think. My work rigs are 3/4 ton truck used on mine sites in the middle of nowhere, I run 30-35 psi year around to keep from beating the driver to death off-road. I have dropped the tires to 20psi in winter while commuting from Carlin NV to Los Angeles. Only time I would go up pressure was when trailering or quick change oil kids filled up the tires.
I run 37 PSI in my Power Wagon 35s in the rural Colorado Plateau/Rockies of Western Colorado. As in the Winnemucca region it can get extremely cold quickly at night dropping up to 50F. As the temperature drops, so does the tire PSI. The tire grip actually improves in the extreme cold. I don't adjust the PSI for the extreme change to negative Fahrenheit temperatures due to it warms up in the daytime. Normally never encounter black ice roads driving in winter across the high desert and mountainous terrain of Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Eastern Oregon, and Wyoming. It gets too cold and the snow on the road just evaporates versus melts. Just don't get the ice covered roads like some other regions of the country. Never run the tires at anything close to the full TPMS pressure unless carrying a ton of wood pellets.

OP
OP
Tinman454

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the great feedback and links to other vids I had not seen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members