Air Filter change, what did u go with...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed a Green Filter. Supposed to be pretty good. Couple of other car forums have been raving about them. Also removed the charcoal filter when I installed it.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
OEM filters do a better job at filtering particulates, there are a ton of studies out there that you can read, K&N's or other after market filters will sound better. I stick to the OEM, because im not racing to get work every day.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a 5th gen 1500? I was curious if the old filters fit?

A quick search of AEM's site revealed that the aforementioned #28-20247 filter also fits the 2018 and 2019 Ram trucks equipped with a 5.7L hemispherical engine.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dropped in the K&N filter and thought it will help increase MPG but not so sure. I will give it some time and then drop the OEM back in and check it out again. I don't have any good data to compare with yet.

I am thinking about unhooking the battery to reset the system as others had suggested and allow the computer to relearn the new air/fuel mixture. Not sure if that will work either? Some have said it increased performance after they unplugged but there is not a lot of information on the subject.

I'd like to hear from others if they have done that.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the complete K and N CAI in my 2017 and reset computer. When I am not heavy on the go pedal I picked up about a mile per galllon. I have run K and N CAI on every Ram I have owned since 1999. Never any issues, no dealership has ever said a thing when I have taken them in for any warranty or recall work. I even install them on my wife’s daily driver, no complaints.

Not sure an aftermarket air cleaner will make any significant performance difference on a basically stock motor, but on the Hemi, when you hit the go pedal with any authority you will hear it in the intake.

Good luck with you decision.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I have the K&N in, I have not noticed any increase in MPG.
From the OEM filter. Just a K&N Homer.

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
put in a K&N 33-2247 and left the charcoal filter in as well. First time seeing that set up in any of the Dodge's I have owned. My previous Charger didn't have one. Thought I would go ahead and save a pic for others that haven't opened up their air box to see what's inside. Averaged 18 MPG with OEM. Give it a week or two and post back mileage change if any. I also wasn't sure if I ought to remove the charcoal filter or not so I left it. Might be counter productive but we shall see.
20190316_152403.jpg 20190316_152401.jpg

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Week later, so far no change in MPG, IF anything it went down due me having some fun with getting the exhaust.

I went back into the air box lid and removed that charcoal filter. To me it doesn't look like it would last much more then 25k. Then again I didn't research the maintenance schedule to see when they ought to get replaced. Very thin and flimsy filter. Popped right off taking a flat head and applying a little pressure, popped the melted down plastic rivet looking heads.

I don't mean to start a debate on the subject but I say save the money unless your in a dirty, dusty, Smokey environment and go thru filters frequently. The stock intake to the box and how they routed it to the front to grab fresh air looks like a pretty decent set up.

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mvp_Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L V8
I went with the AFE momentum CAI and I gained one mile per gallon easy. She definitely pulls harder up top and sounds real good and has a slight whistle if you hit a sweet in the throttle that makes the truck sound like it’s turbocharged. I use shell or mobile 89 octane and I have 3.92 gearing on my 2019 Laramie
c354d265fac518cfe6c66492709f50b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk