Air filter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btal400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 V8
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while. I used to be a car guy until I purchased a used 2020 1500 warlock last year. I went to the dealership and purchased an engine air filter for my 5.7. The original was orange but the replacement they gave me was black. The part number matches what it says it should be online. The orange original, has a little groove along the inside and the new one does not.
Anyway, I cannot get the air box to latch closed again. With the original, no problem. I've tried rotating the filter incase the corners were different and no luck.
I've used gloves and applied a lot of force and not even close. By a lot of force, I mean I can bench press 2.5x my body weight, so I leveraged some of that force. It seems like the problem is the 2 latches closest to the passenger fender. I've spent a couple hours looking around and haven't had any luck. Anyone else know what's going on here? Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If possible please post a picture so we can try to help. Sounds like the filter isn’t seating all the way properly which is odd. Pretty sure the air filter is the same from 09-22

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go by Autozone and buy one from their stock, install it and see if the problem goes away. Its a 4gen/claasic make sure you make them aware. I am fairly scared to ask what you paid for it at the stealership!:eek: Return it if you can.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Warlock is a RAM classic /4th gen/DS model. You may have gotten the filter for the 5th gen/DT/new body style model Ram. The dealer almost always asks for the VIN# when you buy anything from them. If they didn't ask for the vin it's possible you may have gotten the wrong filter. Take it back to the place you got it to verify it's the correct filter. It could also be that the new filter seal is thicker than the old filter because the old one has been in place so long it sort of flattened out a bit.

OP
OP
B

btal400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 V8
Thank you all for the replies. They make sense and follow the direction I was headed as well. I'll update on how it all goes!

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while. I used to be a car guy until I purchased a used 2020 1500 warlock last year. I went to the dealership and purchased an engine air filter for my 5.7. The original was orange but the replacement they gave me was black. The part number matches what it says it should be online. The orange original, has a little groove along the inside and the new one does not.
Anyway, I cannot get the air box to latch closed again. With the original, no problem. I've tried rotating the filter incase the corners were different and no luck.
I've used gloves and applied a lot of force and not even close. By a lot of force, I mean I can bench press 2.5x my body weight, so I leveraged some of that force. It seems like the problem is the 2 latches closest to the passenger fender. I've spent a couple hours looking around and haven't had any luck. Anyone else know what's going on here? Thanks

Last Fall, I replaced the OEM Mopar orange engine air filter on my 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi with a new OEM Mopar one that I purchased from my Ram dealer. The new filter had a black seal.

The new air filter was a very snug fit and I had difficulty closing / clamping the air filter box lid.

I attempted to buy a new OEM Mopar engine air filter for my son’s 2003 Jeep Wranger Rubicon 4.0 engine and the dealer said they had been on backorder for months.

Last edited: