Air ride compressor failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think that the Techs are trying to fix our vehicles using a computer reading.
They don't seem to look for a physical part that is broken, that once happened with my 2009 Dodge Ram rear differential.
They did not see the pinion seal was leaking, nor did they check the fluid level & the rear end cover had a dip stick. they called & said the truck was ready, i picked it up & the next day, i had a job that took about 500 miles to do, the rear end started howling about half way.
I was at the dealership with the truck the next morning,
The service dept. had passed the job the day before, over to the Express Lanes :(

Any way, when the tech can't see an issue with a diagnostic tool & maybe someone else looking at it too, Do they ever write it up with pictures & send it off to the Engineers that designed it ??

Or do they say, that they can't find the issue & turn it back to the customer & tell the owner to bring it back when it breaks

When it comes to vehicles under warranty the general procedure is if a problem can’t be verified in half an hour, it gets kicked out. Warranty is very stingy about reimbursing dealers for techs time spent trying to verify concerns.

For example if a tech spent 2 hours trying to duplicate a concern, then fixes the issue. More than likely the techs not getting paid for that 2hrs trying to verify the concern.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dealer was a bit more thorough on diagnostics with my truck this time since I was getting into angry phase for another recurring issue. Fixed my locks finally so that's good or at least they've worked a week, which is 6 days better than the old record., but my suspension failed again and needs a pressure valve of some sort as it's been letting all the nitrogen out and a new compressor as it's had to work harder to make up for the purging. Hoping to get that fixed next month, but with the parts on unknown availability backorder at the moment and the dealer 3 weeks booked and not willing to book the appointment until they have a parts eta I think I might be lucky to get it working again properly by the end of summer. So far it's managed to air up every time. It just takes a few minutes as it cycles and overheats the compressor a few times before it's normal. Hoping it holds out long enough for parts to arrive and get it fixed. At least it failed with Temps in the 80s so it's not working when tested after a night in the shop unlike the problems from system moisture.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer was a bit more thorough on diagnostics with my truck this time since I was getting into angry phase for another recurring issue. Fixed my locks finally so that's good or at least they've worked a week, which is 6 days better than the old record., but my suspension failed again and needs a pressure valve of some sort as it's been letting all the nitrogen out and a new compressor as it's had to work harder to make up for the purging. Hoping to get that fixed next month, but with the parts on unknown availability backorder at the moment and the dealer 3 weeks booked and not willing to book the appointment until they have a parts eta I think I might be lucky to get it working again properly by the end of summer. So far it's managed to air up every time. It just takes a few minutes as it cycles and overheats the compressor a few times before it's normal. Hoping it holds out long enough for parts to arrive and get it fixed. At least it failed with Temps in the 80s so it's not working when tested after a night in the shop unlike the problems from system moisture.
Having European experience, Your story mirrors those of Land Rover, Mercedes, and Cadillac, etc. Air suspension is great when it works. After the number of times I've witnessed troubles with it, and the number of times I've retrofitted springs and stock shocks into so many of them, I'll pass on the system. Your compressor will not have a long life due to high number of run cycles. So, while the dealer worries about the splinter in the finger, the bigger failure is on it's way. (metaphor)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Having European experience, Your story mirrors those of Land Rover, Mercedes, and Cadillac, etc. Air suspension is great when it works. After the number of times I've witnessed troubles with it, and the number of times I've retrofitted springs and stock shocks into so many of them, I'll pass on the system. Your compressor will not have a long life due to high number of run cycles. So, while the dealer worries about the splinter in the finger, the bigger failure is on it's way. (metaphor)
They did note probable compressor replacement, but I fear they will replace the backorder part and then decide and see if the compressor is also on backorder or not at that point. Still under warranty. If on my dime I'd switch to coils. Might still switch to coils just to save the hassle. I know I can order a kit and have it installed within a week and be done with it. Probably be the end result anyways so feels like a waste of time trying to keep it working.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It’s not just anyone’s fault, it’s a combination. Manufactures will do just about anything to reject warranty claims and charge back the dealers. It makes it very difficult for a tech to do everything properly and if one little thing is missed they will kick back the claim and a tech will get paid nothing. Add that to the flat rate atmosphere and it’s a system that creates bad techs and drives good ones away.

I was a dealer tech for just over 15 years. Just recently got of it. I saw the industry as a whole consistently get worse and worse over the years to the point I wouldn’t really recommend it as a trade to get into.

I’m in Canada so things are a bit different here. You have to complete a 4 year apprenticeship mixed with on the job and college training to become licensed. When I first got in and you wanted to register to go to college classes were packed and you had to fight to get a spot. Now the colleges in my area struggle to fill a class and aren’t running the courses as often because the interest in the trade has dropped dramatically. In my opinion the automotive industry has treated techs poorly for too long to the point that a lot of the good ones left and there’s very few new techs coming up the ranks to replace them.
I to was a tech worked for independent and dealers got out over 10 years ago ! i have to say you are so so right