Air ride & speed and

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I am slowly starting to shop for a 2019. One of the options I was looking at is 4 corner air suspension. They only have one with air ride on the lot and the salesman told me in the highest position it is speed limited. Is this true?
Also, can 5th gen tire size be programmed?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The highest off road setting is limited to 25 mph or lower. It is a pretty stiff ride at that setting. Also the lowest entry level is for below 5 mph. A rebel or off road package let's you choose normal or lower aero setting for daily use. Love my air ride.

OP
OP
R

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
So, the rebel has more air ride options than the limited package?
Why air ride. you ask?
I have my grandmother a lot. She hates getting in and out of my 2016 that is leveled with slightly taller stock tires. So, I was thnking hit off road when around town (gas mileage is **** anyway). Normal mode when on highway, but I wasn't sure about tire size and normal mode. Then valet or entry mode for my grandma.... But 25 mph, I off road at faster than 25mph. I am not a rock crawler type.

To get a higher ride height I would have to get a Rebel 12 with air ride to have better options. But I have to deal with the red accented interior.

RamBlade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the air ride in my Limited and it’s awesome! Automatically lowers at highway speed for aerodynamics (they claim like a 10% increase in efficiency, but you’re right, the mileage is pretty much garbage anyways, so whatever). I used the lowered entry a lot this past fall because my son broke his leg playing football and it made it a lot easier for him to get in and out of the truck with his cast.

They have two raised Off Road settings. Off Road 2 is the highest and is speed limited. I don’t believe Off Road 1 is speed limited, but I could be wrong.

But, one of the best reasons to get the air suspension is the ride!! I’ve gotten a number of compliments on the ride of my truck. It definitely doesn’t ride like a truck, and actually rides noticeably better than my wife’s Tahoe. Definitely worth the price in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
So, the rebel has more air ride options than the limited package?
Why air ride. you ask?
I have my grandmother a lot. She hates getting in and out of my 2016 that is leveled with slightly taller stock tires. So, I was thnking hit off road when around town (gas mileage is **** anyway). Normal mode when on highway, but I wasn't sure about tire size and normal mode. Then valet or entry mode for my grandma.... But 25 mph, I off road at faster than 25mph. I am not a rock crawler type.

To get a higher ride height I would have to get a Rebel 12 with air ride to have better options. But I have to deal with the red accented interior.
I love my air suspension. Entry/Exit mode is great for the shorties (and when you get to that 10th bag of mortar.. LOL). At highway speed, the suspension automatically adjusts to Aero height, and automatically back when under highway speed.

As RamBlade just said, it's the ride quality too.

BTW, I ordered my 2017 w/o the interior red accents, it was a delete option.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am slowly starting to shop for a 2019. One of the options I was looking at is 4 corner air suspension. They only have one with air ride on the lot and the salesman told me in the highest position it is speed limited. Is this true?
Also, can 5th gen tire size be programmed?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It’s not necessarily speed limited- you can drive as fast as you want, but once you go over 25 mph, the suspension automatically drops down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The highest off road setting is limited to 25 mph or lower. It is a pretty stiff ride at that setting. Also the lowest entry level is for below 5 mph. A rebel or off road package let's you choose normal or lower aero setting for daily use. Love my air ride.

Please explain. My Limited only does that once you get up to highway speed. Then it raises back up for town driving. It doesn’t stay that way, but I can disable it.

RamBlade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please explain. My Limited only does that once you get up to highway speed. Then it raises back up for town driving. It doesn’t stay that way, but I can disable it.

There’s 5 settings on the air ride. The town setting is the standard and is the middle height. Down one is the aero setting. Once you hit 65 MPH for like 20 seconds, the truck automatically lowers to that setting. You can also manually put the truck in aero mode and leave it there, although I couldn’t get my truck to drop to entry/exit with it in permanent aero mode. Entry/exit is the lowest and first setting. The off road settings are 4 and 5, up from the town setting.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If you have the off road package it operates a bit different than air ride on a normal truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, I figgered it was all the same. But that doesn’t make sense, tho. You would think that the full time aero mode would be better suited setting for a non- off-road packaged truck because aero mode in my Limited is strictly automatic. There is no manual setting for it. My settings that you can control, is entry/exit, normal, off-road 1 inch, and off-road 2 inch. Aero works on its own. Usually it’s around 65mph that turns it on, and anything below like 25mph, or 35mph turns it off.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hmm, I figgered it was all the same. But that doesn’t make sense, tho. You would think that the full time aero mode would be better suited setting for a non- off-road packaged truck because aero mode in my Limited is strictly automatic. There is no manual setting for it. My settings that you can control, is entry/exit, normal, off-road 1 inch, and off-road 2 inch. Aero works on its own. Usually it’s around 65mph that turns it on, and anything below like 25mph, or 35mph turns it off.

You can turn Aero Mode off. It's in the settings.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can turn Aero Mode off. It's in the settings.

Oh I know, and I do have it turned off. It only drops the front down like under inch. I just figure that measly little amount wasn’t worth the extra wear and tear on the pump. That, and it seems to bottom out more.

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a loaded Laramie Sport with air ride and my wife has a loaded Big Horn Sport with the regular suspension.

To be honest, I can tell very little difference between the two; only during driving over small imperfections. Otherwise, it’s barely noticeable.

If I could do it again, I’d go without the Air Suspension.

2019 Ram Laramie Sport Package 4x4 CC
Billet Silver
5.7 eTorque-Level 1–3.92 anti-spin-33 gal -Air Suspension-4C NAV-Bed Utility Group-Trailer Brake-Under Seat Storage-Wheel 2 Wheel side steps

RamBlade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Unless yours works different than mine, you can manually select aero mode in the cab. From the standard height selection, press down on the toggle switch once. That should put the truck in full time aero mode.

OP
OP
R

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
BTW, I ordered my 2017 w/o the interior red accents, it was a delete option.

Dealer said there isn't an option for this on 19's. Maybe the 20's with blacked out package that I am seeing rumored may be???

Iowa ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aero is slightly smoother.

Its performed great for me, towing a 16 ft cargo, full of square hay bales.

No more cool spring sag...like my 2013 had.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye