Air Suspension Cooling Down Please Wait

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2016 1500 Limited with Air Ride, the truck has been basically fault free for the entire time I’ve owned it. The air ride did act up before but that was due to a blown fuse for the air ride/trailer brake due to a faulty trailer brake module. Yesterday I went to take it out to go run some errands and the dash displayed the following message:
6a7a93a0305290d06ab2a95ed5a2db3d.jpg

It makes no sense why it would need to cool down as it was sitting overnight so there is no reason for it to “overheat”. The truck is stuck in normal ride height which is fine by me as that is where I normally keep it unless there is a lot of snow. I have disabled my aero mode so it doesn’t lower itself while on the highway and stay that way for normal street driving. I tried to raise the truck to Off-Road 1 while I was on the phone with one of the dealers it, it went up in which case I thought it was just a glitch and it went away. This morning is did the same thing.

I reached out to 3-5 dealers in my area in Long Island and the and the earliest appointments about a month out. Is the truck driveable in its current state? I asked the dealers and they said bring it in during the appointment and we can let you know. How does that help me when the next appointment is about a month away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a 2014 Ram Longhorn 1500 with air suspension and had continuous problems. Ram is well aware of this issue but is doing nothing to correct it. The probable reason you got the message is because some of the gas has leaked out and your compressor is continually running trying to keep up. I had same problem. My truck was under warranty when problem first started and was out of warranty by time I traded it off. I was in Contact with Ram Customer care the entire 5 years I owned truck. They paid for all the repairs out of warranty but it was a fight. This is a common problem all over the country but don't count on Ram admitting it.
You will probably have to go to dealer and get recharge in your system and dealer will re-set computer to get rid of fault. I traded my truck off at 26,000 just because of this problem and after 4 years of taking it back I was sick of it.

Brett Knudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had a 2014 Ram Longhorn 1500 with air suspension and had continuous problems. Ram is well aware of this issue but is doing nothing to correct it. The probable reason you got the message is because some of the gas has leaked out and your compressor is continually running trying to keep up. I had same problem. My truck was under warranty when problem first started and was out of warranty by time I traded it off. I was in Contact with Ram Customer care the entire 5 years I owned truck. They paid for all the repairs out of warranty but it was a fight. This is a common problem all over the country but don't count on Ram admitting it.
You will probably have to go to dealer and get recharge in your system and dealer will re-set computer to get rid of fault. I traded my truck off at 26,000 just because of this problem and after 4 years of taking it back I was sick of it.

I had a similar experience with a 2015 Ram Sport. I was tired of the issue every winter when the temp was below zero Fahrenheit. Multiple visits to dealer only temporarily fixed the issue. I've been told that the 2019 air suspension system was re-engineered and beefed up. Hoping I make it through this winter without issues.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone over on the Z forum successfully converted from air suspension to coil springs. Using Alfa to disable all the right stuff, pretty sure they got the truck to be a factory coil spring truck instead of air.

I think another company makes a better air system that mounts in place of the factory stuff. I want to say B&D?

Doug Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013-2018 RAM 1500 with Air Suspension
Engine
Air Suspension Manufacturer
This is why I stayed away from the air ride, I read were the dealer only replaces the air bag one time if it pops and your on the hook for it almost 900 bucks to be replaced by dealer with parts and labor NO THANKS

Aftermarket products including front struts and rear replacement air springs are now available. Arnott Air Suspension, a forum sponsor, has both the front and rear aftermarket versions which should save you money.

The Arnott rear air spring should be under $350 each while the front air strut AS-3017 has a MSRP of $1,111.71. Both are available from leading retail and online resellers. Of interest, Arnott's front air strut is assembled in the USA with a premium Eibach® damper (shock portion) along with a Continental ContiTech air sleeve.

Click Here for More Info: https://www.arnottindustries.com/products/ram-air-suspension

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
These things run the pump when truck turned off ? I would think the battery would die.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 1500 Limited with Air Ride, the truck has been basically fault free for the entire time I’ve owned it. The air ride did act up before but that was due to a blown fuse for the air ride/trailer brake due to a faulty trailer brake module. Yesterday I went to take it out to go run some errands and the dash displayed the following message:
6a7a93a0305290d06ab2a95ed5a2db3d.jpg

It makes no sense why it would need to cool down as it was sitting overnight so there is no reason for it to “overheat”. The truck is stuck in normal ride height which is fine by me as that is where I normally keep it unless there is a lot of snow. I have disabled my aero mode so it doesn’t lower itself while on the highway and stay that way for normal street driving. I tried to raise the truck to Off-Road 1 while I was on the phone with one of the dealers it, it went up in which case I thought it was just a glitch and it went away. This morning is did the same thing.

I reached out to 3-5 dealers in my area in Long Island and the and the earliest appointments about a month out. Is the truck driveable in its current state? I asked the dealers and they said bring it in during the appointment and we can let you know. How does that help me when the next appointment is about a month away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Had the same problem when an installer for a gooseneck hitch ran the airlines next to the exhaust. Burnt through the lines, and lost all the air. Pump ran continually and got the same message. You have a leak, or a bad pressure switch. My guess is a leak. There are four lines. One for each bag. If only one is leaking, the other three will keep the rig fairly level. When mine failed, only one bag in the rear stayed up and it keept the rear level. Front was on the stops, and ride was miserable, but thankfully no damage to the bags.

OP
OP
Deepc6

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
The dealer has had my truck for a bit over a week now.

Initially they thought it was the codes which they have cleared. They thought that fixed the problem, I had to show them how to replicate the issue. The issue came back.

Then they thought it was debris in the lines, that was ruled out.

Then they thought it was the valves to/or in the bags, they were replaced and it hasn’t solved the problem yet.

As of now they “think” it is the air compressor.

In the meantime they gave me a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit edition, a solid suv it is making me consider selling my wife’s car to get her into it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension problems always amaze me....there is only a finite amount of pieces in the system, yet dealers can never seem to figure out an actual fix.

@Deepc6 good luck with yours, hopefully they stumble on the real issue (and stumble they will, its not like they know what they are doing :) )

OP
OP
Deepc6

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Air suspension problems always amaze me....there is only a finite amount of pieces in the system, yet dealers can never seem to figure out an actual fix.

@Deepc6 good luck with yours, hopefully they stumble on the real issue (and stumble they will, its not like they know what they are doing :) )

I have high hopes for the repair. I assumed since there are so many computers in the truck they monitor more things, like various lights. So far the dealer has reached out to and the “STAR” engineers for insight.

I recall when a buddy of mine retrofitted and air ride suspension onto his Camaro, it was a smooth install. The major difference was it wasn’t controlled by an OEM computer and it didn’t need to self level to handle a load. As much as people do not like computers in their vehicles I would be open to another stand alone module specifically for the air ride. With the hopes it would be a easier to adjust and fix when necessary.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AFAIK there already is a separate module just for air suspension, so thats an option to get replaced too.

My guess is typical dealer bs: dont replace anything expensive unless absolutely necessary, but dont take the time to track down what IS absolutely necessary.

Pic below of the major components in the system....how hard is it to pressure test the system in pieces? They just need to whip out their common sense manual. And the parts count is very low, so if you cant pressure test the compressor/valve block assembly, replace it and see if the issue goes away! The bags, lines and reservoir can easily be pressure tested. Ride height sensors have their own diagnostic procedure in the service manual. So do the switches and control module. And then standard electrical diagnosis is....standard: check for shorts, check for resistance, etc. This isnt rocket science.

"Major components" of the system:

1. Compressor And Valve Block Assembly
  2. Air Suspension Reservoir
  3. Switch Bank
  4. Air Spring And Shock Assembly
  5. Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM)
  6. Air Line And Electrical Wiring Harness
  7. Ride Height Sensors
  8. Atmospheric Air Lines

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a lot, but at least some useful info:

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/air-ride-diagnostics-dodge-ram-1500/

If you ever give up on the dealer, feel free to bring it over again and Ill hook Alfa up to it and see if we can see what is going on. Ive never plugged into an air suspension truck, it would be interesting to see what data points we can read over the CAN bus, for all we know it might point us in the right direction to actually fix it once and for all.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
AFAIK there already is a separate module just for air suspension, so thats an option to get replaced too.

My guess is typical dealer bs: dont replace anything expensive unless absolutely necessary, but dont take the time to track down what IS absolutely necessary.

Pic below of the major components in the system....how hard is it to pressure test the system in pieces? They just need to whip out their common sense manual. And the parts count is very low, so if you cant pressure test the compressor/valve block assembly, replace it and see if the issue goes away! The bags, lines and reservoir can easily be pressure tested. Ride height sensors have their own diagnostic procedure in the service manual. So do the switches and control module. And then standard electrical diagnosis is....standard: check for shorts, check for resistance, etc. This isnt rocket science.

"Major components" of the system:

1. Compressor And Valve Block Assembly
  2. Air Suspension Reservoir
  3. Switch Bank
  4. Air Spring And Shock Assembly
  5. Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM)
  6. Air Line And Electrical Wiring Harness
  7. Ride Height Sensors
  8. Atmospheric Air Lines
The problem typically is that the technicians typically don't understand electronics. They are typically clueless where electrical issues go. So the real solution is to find a tech with a good understanding of electronics theory.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem typically is that the technicians typically don't understand electronics. They are typically clueless where electrical issues go. So the real solution is to find a tech with a good understanding of electronics theory.

Really though, they dont need to understand it. Just replace the electronics module(s), even if just as a test. I looked through AlfaOBD and there is plenty of data points available for the suspension module, you dont need to understand electronic theory to look at voltages, resistance, etc that are literally displayed for you in real-time. Then take those values to the service manual and compare.

Ultimately it comes down to all of that taking time. Time is money and with a truck under warranty they just want it gone ASAP. It doesn't "cost" them anything to leave the truck there for weeks, it only "costs" them to actually diagnose and fix it.

That simple 1 page article says a whole lot about what the issue potentially is. The fact that short article gives that much information just shows how simple the system really is/can be. At this point most automotive diagnostics involve read computers for codes and/or data and then swapping parts. Why should the air suspension system be any different?

OP
OP
Deepc6

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
They changed the compressor last week which was supposed to have solved the problem. I took my truck drive it for 20 miles and the problem came back, I quickly went back to the dealer. They gave me 2019 ram as a loaner.

think they solved the problem, the air ride suspension temperature sensor was bad it was reading 145° when not in use when the ambient temperature was 60°-70°. When it was in use it would skyrocket to 220°+ which in turn put the air ride in “limp mode”.

I drove it 60 or so miles, raised and lowered the suspension quite a few times.

So far so good.

Felix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
My 2016 limited with air ride, is not working no lift at all, dealer states that compressor has moisture in it and need to be replaced with a price of $2500. has anyone had this problem??

Full Curl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
They changed the compressor last week which was supposed to have solved the problem. I took my truck drive it for 20 miles and the problem came back, I quickly went back to the dealer. They gave me 2019 ram as a loaner.

think they solved the problem, the air ride suspension temperature sensor was bad it was reading 145° when not in use when the ambient temperature was 60°-70°. When it was in use it would skyrocket to 220°+ which in turn put the air ride in “limp mode”.

So far so good.

Do you know where this sensor is located or the part number?

My compressor we already replaced in 2017 and now it's acting up again but differently this time.

Now it just doesn't respond or says Overheating or Unable to change height due to payload.

After driving for a bit it works fine and it only really buggers up on hotter days.

ralex17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wanted to post an update on my problems with the Air Suspension on a 2014 RAM Limited. I've been trying to diagnose the problem with the suspension going flat for over a year. At first, I replaced the relay for the suspension system and that got it going again for awhile. Later, I disabled the Aero function because the suspension would eventually go flat Aero was activated. But the problem kept coming back and getting worse where the suspension would go flat while driving. I could stop, turn off the engine, open the door and then restart and it would air up again. This didn't happen all of them time - it would go away for 3-4 days and I would forget about the problem. I finally replaced the compressor, and this too seemed to help for a few weeks. But again the truck started going flat while sitting overnight. I found that if I waited for 3 minutes after starting, the compressor would run and re-pressure the system and eventually the truck would rise back up to normal ride height. Finally I finally ordered new air bags for the rear, thinking I must have a leak in one of them. I purchased the Arnot A3016 (A-3016) Air Springs. When my mechanic replaced the bags, he found that one of the ferrules in a compression fitting had broken in half. This is the fitting that attaches the air line to the air bag. So a $0.75 part was causing all of my problems!

The new bags seem to be better built than the OEM ones. The threads on the Arnot bags are metal instead of plastic like the OEM bags.

I haven't had any issues for a couple of months now, and the ride is excellent. So it's worth a try to check the compression fittings on your air springs if you're experiencing similar problems.

ralex17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wanted to post an update on my problems with the Air Suspension on a 2014 RAM Limited. I've been trying to diagnose the problem with the suspension going flat for over a year. At first, I replaced the relay for the suspension system and that got it going again for awhile. Later, I disabled the Aero function because the suspension would eventually go flat Aero was activated. But the problem kept coming back and getting worse where the suspension would go flat while driving. I could stop, turn off the engine, open the door and then restart and it would air up again. This didn't happen all of them time - it would go away for 3-4 days and I would forget about the problem. I finally replaced the compressor, and this too seemed to help for a few weeks. But again the truck started going flat while sitting overnight. I found that if I waited for 3 minutes after starting, the compressor would run and re-pressure the system and eventually the truck would rise back up to normal ride height. Finally I finally ordered new air bags for the rear, thinking I must have a leak in one of them. I purchased the Arnot A3016 (A-3016) Air Springs. When my mechanic replaced the bags, he found that one of the ferrules in a compression fitting had broken in half. This is the fitting that attaches the air line to the air bag. So a $0.75 part was causing all of my problems!

The new bags seem to be better built than the OEM ones. The threads on the Arnot bags are metal instead of plastic like the OEM bags.

I haven't had any issues for a couple of months now, and the ride is excellent. So it's worth a try to check the compression fittings on your air springs if you're experiencing similar problems.
I forgot to mention that I also tried replacing the air suspension control module with a used one I bought on ebay, but that did not work. Apparently you have to be able to reprogram the control module after its installed. It's located under the drivers seat and is easy to replace, but I didn't have the tools or expertise to make it work. And as I reported, the problem was a leak and not the control module anyway. It's now re-listed on eBay.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So far so good.

Interesting. The temp sensor is part of the air pump assembly. Should have been replaced with the pump.
The other day, the dealer quoted me $4,800 ($3500 just for the pump.) to replace the pump and valve block. No thanks.
Ordered a refurb from RMT for $400 and hope that's the only problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye