Air Suspension HELP!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyTwoRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013/2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 6 speed with air suspension. Only had the truck since May 2021, air worked great. Now that it’s colder than a witches t*t in a brass bra outside, the system doesn’t want to work. Usually it’s because the compressor doesn’t work in the cold. It does have 140k on the clock and who knows if the system has ever been serviced before I got it. I tried to find information on the location of a breather or filter on the system and only found info on the fifth GEN and it says it’s in the tailgate. Well that isn’t true for a fourth GEN because I have had it apart and there’s nothing in there. Is there anyone out there that can give me the correct information that I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated

curleyrl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 quad cab Laramie
Engine
5.7 L
Tommy. All the rams with air suspensions have the filter for air intake behind the right side taillight. however, if the system is taking in air from the outside, then your system has a leak. once your system starts taking in outside air ( that is full of moisture) during colder days of below freezing it will cause the valve block (aka distribution block) and or the pump to freeze up. At 140k miles, the front air-struts and rear bags would probably be due to be replaced anyway with system vacuumed and recharged with nitrogen.

OP
OP
TommyTwoRams

TommyTwoRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013/2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to post an update on the 2013, I’v been a professional trucker for over 20 years and we always use airline dryer during cold months. I removed my right rear taillight, pulled out the two lines and filled both with airline dryer. I found it was just the compressor freezing up.I bought a small 12V blanket heater on Amazon for $20. Works good It’s been pretty cold here in northern Maine, about 20-30 degrees, I have had no issues at al since. I just picked up a brand new complete air suspension for $400. A guy I met just bought a 2014 and the dealership replaced the complete system with a new one. He took it all out and replaced it with a 4” lift. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 7E2843BE-31EC-4F8F-BC5D-4B35832E9131.jpeg
    7E2843BE-31EC-4F8F-BC5D-4B35832E9131.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: