Air Suspension owners get in here...

My air suspension has been...

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I get occasionally hissing noises, like there's an over-pressurization and a pressure valve is blowing off. But it happens on cold mornings at least as often as hot afternoons so I have no idea. I bet I've heard it pop off at least 50 times, and it still functions completely normal so I don't know what it is. Never happened over 5 years on my '15.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 - 2 years no issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After the 2nd failure on my 2017 I cut bait and traded it in for a 2019 without air ride and the ORP. Ill miss the auto leveling but honestly the 5th gen rides just as well and no more worrying about the potential for failure in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After the 2nd failure on my 2017 I cut bait and traded it in for a 2019 without air ride and the ORP. Ill miss the auto leveling but honestly the 5th gen rides just as well and no more worrying about the potential for failure in cold weather.

I guess I just liked that air ride so much in that test drive vehicle that I drove before I bought my new one that thought that if I get it, I might wanna opt for the lifetime warranty while they still had it, just in case but so far, I’ve yet to have any issues with it and she just turned three years old the day after Christmas.

Of course, I don’t leave it parked in any of the other suspension modes other than normal ride height, and I bounce back-and-forth from leaving the aero mode turned on just sometimes turning it off.

chopperguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I just had my first major problem with my 2013, seized compressor. I live in Minnesota and we’re going through some pretty cold weather, highs below zero weather. Got the Immediate Service required message, was hoping it had just tripped the fuse like a couple year’s ago, but it wasn’t. Had the dealership replace the compressor, they tested the system, recharged with nitrogen and I’m back on the road. Two year parts and labor warranty on the new compressor, and they had it done next day. I’m very happy with the service and still love the air ride!

chopperguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just had to chime in because this morning even though the temp was -29 everything worked just as it should! I have also noticed how much quieter the new compressor is and it doesn’t seem to run as much. So far so good, knock on wood
82bf14e9f2f2f0a229899db4478a5ffc.jpg

RogerZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 4.7L I6
I just got my 2020 Tradesman dually truck about 2 months ago see info below and it came with air suspension on the rear only and seems to be totally automatic.
So far no issues. I most do more research on how to use it. Mostly leave it in auto and have tried the hook up mode witch is suppose to lower it, but very little drop?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my 2020 Tradesman dually truck about 2 months ago see info below and it came with air suspension on the rear only and seems to be totally automatic.
So far no issues. I most do more research on how to use it. Mostly leave it in auto and have tried the hook up mode witch is suppose to lower it, but very little drop?

Not sure if you got a paper owner’s manual for your truck or not since some have them and some don’t but if you go to the App Store or Google Play Store for android, whatever you have for a phone, download the Mopar Owner’s Companion app or the Ram Toolbox app and set up an account and along with warranty information, recall information and service records, you have access to a PDF owner manual plus how to videos for information on your truck’s features.

But yeah, I’ve heard that the trailer hookup feature is supposed to be pretty helpful but I have no idea how far it’s supposed to drop. I have a half-ton with the four-corner air ride and even from normal ride-height down to entry-exit mode, it’s goes down quite a bit which is still pretty useful for hitching up to a trailer.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, and those two apps I recommend are pretty much the same thing, it’s just that one is pictured for Ram truck’s and the other is anything Dodge so if there’s any other difference between the two, I don’t know what it is. I just ended up deleting the Mopar app and installing the Ram app because that’s what I have.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I got in the habit of parking in OR2 after my truck lowered last winter a bit and wouldn't air up right away so it was bouncy until it warmed up. Bit me in the ass last week when it stayed aired up and wouldn't lower. Sooooooooo bouncy in OR2. Stuff in the bed was scattered. After half an hour of driving and doing a shut down and restart it dropped to OR1 and rode fine. Seems to only be a problem when the temp is south of -30c though. Warmer than that and it works fine so far. I think I'll park it in OR1 for the cold snaps now.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I just had my first major problem with my 2013, seized compressor. I live in Minnesota and we’re going through some pretty cold weather, highs below zero weather. Got the Immediate Service required message, was hoping it had just tripped the fuse like a couple year’s ago, but it wasn’t. Had the dealership replace the compressor, they tested the system, recharged with nitrogen and I’m back on the road. Two year parts and labor warranty on the new compressor, and they had it done next day. I’m very happy with the service and still love the air ride!

My truck is currently at dealership for 2nd compressor. Last one was February 8th 2019. On 2/8/21 came outside to go to work and noticed suspension slammed down.

In 2019 it was during artic blast and was -40 out. This time below zero with wind chill like -5.

I have lifetime warranty so $100 each time for repair.

Annoying thing this time is that I had to work (call at hospital) and hit a pothole and driver fender flare slammed into tire causing it to nearly fall off. Lifetime warranty wont cover damage from part failure. Just the part that failed and labor for it.

So to those who experience this... consider having it towed or drive very very carefully.

The air suspension issue is annoying. If I didn’t have lifetime warranty and have less than a year of payments I’d likely be trading in ASAP for Power Wagon.

For now - this gave me excuse to upgrade to rivet style flares (Tyger likely given saving over Mopar).
Also think I’ll pull trigger on 3” body lift. That way if it happens again I at least have extra clearance between tires and body/flares.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
This thread I believe is just about the air ride on the 1500s, which is the problematic ones. The 2500 and up are totally different systems.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread I believe is just about the air ride on the 1500s, which is the problematic ones. The 2500 and up are totally different systems.

Actually, it’s not. Even though the compressor, lines and storage tanks are different, it’s still the same thing that uses a sealed nitrogen system that moves the nitrogen back and forth from the tank(s) to the rear/or all bags on the 1500’s.

Probably why you don’t hear about it as much on the HD’s is because to my knowledge, not a lot of HD owners have that system. They’re probably not as prominent as they are on the halftons. The Ram 1500 limited comes standard with the four-corner air ride unless you, the customer or the dealer specifically orders one without it.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 with air ride, 28,000 miles. No issues (still knocking on wood). That's not a lot of miles.

I have it programmed to stay in NORMAL mode 100% of the time.

Live in a moderate climate near Portland Oregon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: