Air suspension

Rodenti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put my truck into the dealer for air suspension problems exactly as described here when it gets very cold outside. They said the valve block needs to be replaced. With no bitter cold coming in the next 14 days I'm thinking I won't know if that resolves the issue fully until next winter.

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strange for me to hear that cold affected the air ride system. I had a 2016 1500 Limited with air suspension that I drove for 2 years and every second week had it parked at the Calgary airport for a week. Often it was there in -30 C or lower during mid Nov to end of Feb. Never had an issue with the air system. When I park at home the vehicles are always in heated garage.

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Strange for me to hear that cold affected the air ride system. I had a 2016 1500 Limited with air suspension that I drove for 2 years and every second week had it parked at the Calgary airport for a week. Often it was there in -30 C or lower during mid Nov to end of Feb. Never had an issue with the air system. When I park at home the vehicles are always in heated garage.
Lots of 4th gen owners complained about issues with their air suspensions in extremely cold climates. I owned a 2017 Rebel and belonged to a Rebel forum. Since all 4th gen Rebels came with air suspension, that was one of the biggest complaints that 4th gen Rebel owners had on that forum. I never had an issue with mine in the 3 years I owned it, but it rarely gets below 0 degrees F where I live. 5th gens don't seem to be seeing the same issues as 4th gens saw. Apparently they improved the system for 5th gens.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's no parts involved in it shy of the fuse. I did just have this performed on my 18 Rebel last week. Was getting "Immediate Air Suspension Service/Repair Required" messages on my dash.
Not sure what you mean by that. There are many parts in the air suspension system, and any one of them can fail. One of the most common fixes was to replace the fuse, but that's not the only part that can fail.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
since i reside in a cold weather area as much as i loved my 2014 laramie with air suspension i had to relinquish said vehicle and will not buy another with air suspension.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not sure what you mean by that. There are many parts in the air suspension system, and any one of them can fail. One of the most common fixes was to replace the fuse, but that's not the only part that can fail.
The repsonse was to John's which is why I quoted him. He posted a link to the star case with the proceedure. There are no parts involved in that proceedure.

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The repsonse was to John's which is why I quoted him. He posted a link to the star case with the proceedure. There are no parts involved in that proceedure.
Sorry, my bad. I wasn't able to open the link from my work computer. Makes sense now after opening it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In my case they replaced the valve block, but didn't do the vacuum and purge procedure so the next morning it failed again. Once they did the vac and purge it was fine as low as -30, which is the coldest I've seen since. I wonder if the service light comes on once the nitrogen drops to a certain pressure. Took almost a week to get it in the first time and rode on the bump stops on 1 side until the block was replaced and it had been in the shop warming up. Next morning it was at least sitting level, but got the message and it was frozen up and kept flashing it was trying to level out. Probably just to adjust from the change in weight when I got in and threw my work gear back in it.