Air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Divesasa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wondering if anyone can help

I was getting a code for a valve block on my ram air suspension and had it replaced after about a week seems like the drivers side drops to the ground more so then the usual lean the rams have if it runs for a bit it will rise back up any idea on what this could be

Ps I'm in Southern Ontario it has been cold this week and the temp went up today to about 0 from negative 18

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've read on the older Rams. moisture or air has gotten in line(s).
Air suspension has nitrogen and is closed system.
So to fix that issue, you have it purge and refill it.

I have air suspension on my 2021 Rebel, so far haven't had any issue.
I'm located bit north of Toronto, it was very cold.
Either they fixed issue, that older ones having, or I will also have issue after few years.

OP
OP
D

Divesasa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It just seems strange that when in a heated garage it levels out and stays at the correct level but when left outside it drops that one corner

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
had a 2014 laramie with air suspension it was on the bump stops a lot so got rid of it. the dealer pretty well replaced everything and it still kept dropping.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It just seems strange that when in a heated garage it levels out and stays at the correct level but when left outside it drops that one corner
not strange. normal.
If there is condensation in the line(s) it will freeze.

Based on what you have mentioned, sounds like the problem. Works fine when warm, but it's cold, it fails.

Fixing the issue, that is different story. I've seen few videos, people showing how to purge the system, and filling again.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine just died on me as well. Getting an over payload message and service message. Left side dropped to the stops, but the right is at normal height. Hoping when it warms up in a couple days it'll work again. Nothing in the back, but a couple duffle bags so it must be getting jammed up somehow. Regardless let the air suspension nightmare begin. Have a couple friends with rebels and they said it was good for 2 winters and then nothing but trouble after that so they've gone to springs. Still under warranty at the moment so I'll try and get it fixed, but can't afford the down time so it'll probably end up removed sooner than later.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2017 Longhorn and got rid of it because of Air suspension. Frustration was just too over bearing. Dealer kept replacing components to no avail. I've concluded that the system isn't designed for the cold climate.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Funny story around this issue…..
A couple years ago, my 2017 with air suspension was parked outside a pub whilst my son and I had a meal and, I admit, a “couple” of sherbets!
I can’t remember exactly but it was in holiday period of Xmas/New Year.
Very very cold. Came out, started truck and immediately ‘contact dealer immediately’ message sign for air suspension. Do not drive etc etc.
well, I wasn’t gonna do THAT at stupid o clock so I drove home, maybe three miles with it on stops! Like driving a brick! Wow.
Got home, went to open garage door, it had frozen to ground, one corner raised and it fell off the runners and into garage…..New house purchase this so not my fault lol.
We drove truck in, propped door back in hole, backed truck up to inside to hold it in place and went to bed!
Next day, suspension completely okay. Never happened again. Yes, I did fix that door too! What a night…….

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Air suspension on a pickup in Canda is just a really bad idea. The Jeeps don't seem to have near as many issues for some reason but all the guys I know that had air pickups sold them or swapped them out for standard suspension. When it is regularly -30 to -40 in the monring nothing wants to work right and air ride just makes it worse.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve owned six vehicles over many years with air suspension: Lincoln town cars, Cadillacs, Range Rover, etc. Every single one had issues around 50,000 miles. I converted my last town car to regular suspension and noticed no difference except it didn’t change the ride height with additional weight. I’m personally done with air suspension. I think that for the initial cost and maintenance and repairs, it’s just not worth it.

Rodenti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put my truck into the dealer for air suspension problems exactly as described here when it gets very cold outside. They said the valve block needs to be replaced. With no bitter cold coming in the next 14 days I'm thinking I won't know if that resolves the issue fully until next winter.

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strange for me to hear that cold affected the air ride system. I had a 2016 1500 Limited with air suspension that I drove for 2 years and every second week had it parked at the Calgary airport for a week. Often it was there in -30 C or lower during mid Nov to end of Feb. Never had an issue with the air system. When I park at home the vehicles are always in heated garage.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Strange for me to hear that cold affected the air ride system. I had a 2016 1500 Limited with air suspension that I drove for 2 years and every second week had it parked at the Calgary airport for a week. Often it was there in -30 C or lower during mid Nov to end of Feb. Never had an issue with the air system. When I park at home the vehicles are always in heated garage.
Lots of 4th gen owners complained about issues with their air suspensions in extremely cold climates. I owned a 2017 Rebel and belonged to a Rebel forum. Since all 4th gen Rebels came with air suspension, that was one of the biggest complaints that 4th gen Rebel owners had on that forum. I never had an issue with mine in the 3 years I owned it, but it rarely gets below 0 degrees F where I live. 5th gens don't seem to be seeing the same issues as 4th gens saw. Apparently they improved the system for 5th gens.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's no parts involved in it shy of the fuse. I did just have this performed on my 18 Rebel last week. Was getting "Immediate Air Suspension Service/Repair Required" messages on my dash.
Not sure what you mean by that. There are many parts in the air suspension system, and any one of them can fail. One of the most common fixes was to replace the fuse, but that's not the only part that can fail.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
since i reside in a cold weather area as much as i loved my 2014 laramie with air suspension i had to relinquish said vehicle and will not buy another with air suspension.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not sure what you mean by that. There are many parts in the air suspension system, and any one of them can fail. One of the most common fixes was to replace the fuse, but that's not the only part that can fail.
The repsonse was to John's which is why I quoted him. He posted a link to the star case with the proceedure. There are no parts involved in that proceedure.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The repsonse was to John's which is why I quoted him. He posted a link to the star case with the proceedure. There are no parts involved in that proceedure.
Sorry, my bad. I wasn't able to open the link from my work computer. Makes sense now after opening it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In my case they replaced the valve block, but didn't do the vacuum and purge procedure so the next morning it failed again. Once they did the vac and purge it was fine as low as -30, which is the coldest I've seen since. I wonder if the service light comes on once the nitrogen drops to a certain pressure. Took almost a week to get it in the first time and rode on the bump stops on 1 side until the block was replaced and it had been in the shop warming up. Next morning it was at least sitting level, but got the message and it was frozen up and kept flashing it was trying to level out. Probably just to adjust from the change in weight when I got in and threw my work gear back in it.