Airbag Light Issue-Need Help Diagnosing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This winter I have had an issue with the airbag light coming on intermittently in my 2003 Ram. Some days it doesn't light up, other days it lights up and chimes off and on the entire time I drive it. This past fall I removed the dash to replace the heater core and evap core. My first thought was the wiring harness to the airbag controller came unplugged under the dash. Checked it and plugged in ok. Then I took off the steering column cover to chech the wire plugs for the clockspring. No issues with plugs there.

Not sure if the dealership can pinpoint the issue by scanning the airbag light code (if it happens to be on when I drop it off). Are the only areas that seem to go bad are the airbag controller and the clockspring? Any other suggestions?

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure but I believe the module is under the front seat sitting in all the crap.Corrosion in one of the plugs maybe.Dealer should be able to pull history codes even if the light isn't on when it's there.

OP
OP
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. The airbag control module looks to be under the cupholder/ashtray compartment in the dash. The module and plug look very clean and the plug connects snugly into the module. I may have to take it to get scanned. I don't want to spend the money on a new module to find out it could be a clockspring, or something else. I only have the ODB11 scanner and can't ready airbag codes.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the reply. The airbag control module looks to be under the cupholder/ashtray compartment in the dash. The module and plug look very clean and the plug connects snugly into the module. I may have to take it to get scanned. I don't want to spend the money on a new module to find out it could be a clockspring, or something else. I only have the ODB11 scanner and can't ready airbag codes.
Does your truck have the passenger side airbag one-off switch on the right side of the instrument panel center bezel? It is a switch that you put your ignition key in to turn so you can disable the passenger side airbag.

If your truck came equipped with this switch make sure you have it properly connected and the connector is fully seated.

There are several things we can do to diagnose an airbag DTC with the
DRB-III and the breakout box to determine if we have a wiring problem or a clockspring/airbag/module problem.

OP
OP
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No switch for the passenger airbag. Not sure what the DRB-III is. I've read that clockspring wires can get pulled slightly if the steering wheel was allowed to spin too far to either side. That might have happened when I had the column out to pull the dash, but i have pretty careful with it. The intermittent airbag light doesn't seem to correspond to any movement in the steering wheel. It could come on and off while I'm sitting at a stop light.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '03 Dakota that I had before my Ram did the exact same thing. I got a junkyard module with the same part number from a Durango and it fixed it. The module was $8, the guy at the counter had no idea what it was. It was buried and not fun replacing.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
No switch for the passenger airbag. Not sure what the DRB-III is. I've read that clockspring wires can get pulled slightly if the steering wheel was allowed to spin too far to either side. That might have happened when I had the column out to pull the dash, but i have pretty careful with it. The intermittent airbag light doesn't seem to correspond to any movement in the steering wheel. It could come on and off while I'm sitting at a stop light.

Hey, Funkadelic. Did you have the chance to visit your dealer to address this? If not, we recommend setting an appointment for diagnosis as soon as you can. If you need help, please let us know.

Kate
RamCares

OP
OP
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually got module from a junkyard off ebay, but didn't have the correct connections. Not sure if they switched modules during 2003 production. At least I was allowed to send back. I may have to take to the local Dodge dealer to identify what is causing it exactly. Was hoping to avoid that fee.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '03 Dakota that I had before my Ram did the exact same thing. I got a junkyard module with the same part number from a Durango and it fixed it. The module was $8, the guy at the counter had no idea what it was. It was buried and not fun replacing.

I got a replacement front sensor from a junkyard that fixed mine. I was lucky; very hard to find 3rd gens in junkyards where I live.

OP
OP
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, never thought about that. Where was the sensor located in the truck?

The airbag light hasn't come back on for almost a week now. It's really odd. Some days it will chime on and off constantly when I'm driving, then nothing for the next 2-3 days. Now it's been a week.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, never thought about that. Where was the sensor located in the truck?

The airbag light hasn't come back on for almost a week now. It's really odd. Some days it will chime on and off constantly when I'm driving, then nothing for the next 2-3 days. Now it's been a week.
sorry for the delay, here's a pic. lift the hood and look down on the driver's side, behind the bumper

air bag sensor.jpg

OP
OP
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The airbag light is back at it again...chimes on and off randomly for about a day, then stays on solid for maybe another day, then goes away completely for a few weeks. I haven't considered any front sensors that might be bad. Any idea where the front sensor(s) is located?

Sorry, just saw your last post with the pic of the location. Will check that out and see what I can find. Thanks

Last edited: