Alfaobd and Custom Bed Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finished up my bed light install today. My 2019 Classic did not come with bed lights or the wiring and I didn’t feel like spending $150 on an OEM kit. I bought a $23 LED light strip kit off Amazon and $7 wire conduit to protect the wiring under the truck. I had some shrink wrap, wiring, zip ties, and terminals already.

First thing I did was cut up the LED kit. I layed the lights out in the bed, fished the wiring through the factory location for the bed lights and then wired the two strips together. Added some of my wiring, wrapped everything in conduit and ran all the wiring to the engine bay. Grounded the ground wire to a body ground near the fuse box and tan the second wire into the cab and pinned it to the C1/A Pin 5 location for the bed lights. Turned them on with Alfaobd and they work great.

Only thing I’m missing is an on/off switch in the bed of the truck but I’m ok with that. The factory location for that was bed lined over anyway. Lights turn on/off with unlock/lock as well as when you use the cargo light switch in the cab just like the factory lights.

96999402-5D1F-435C-BD13-E137C8E3D21A.png

C2436FFD-7E05-4037-BD7F-82C6873674E0.png

Hevel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Looks pretty clean. Any concern about the adhesive on the LED strip peeling over time?

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks pretty clean. Any concern about the adhesive on the LED strip peeling over time?

yeah, the backing that came on the strips isn’t great. I ended up putting some 3M tape over it and used that to stick them to the bed. With the bed liner the backing on the strips didn’t like it much. The 3M made a big difference, could tell right away it was going to stick well.

Hevel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
yeah, the backing that came on the strips isn’t great. I ended up putting some 3M tape over it and used that to stick them to the bed. With the bed liner the backing on the strips didn’t like it much. The 3M made a big difference, could tell right away it was going to stick well.

Good call on the 3M tape. I'm going to try to do something like this:
Looks like he used the 3M tape too.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good call on the 3M tape. I'm going to try to do something like this:
Looks like he used the 3M tape too.
You mind giving me an idea where this pin is? Im guessing the hardest to reach location. Appreciate the help.

Hevel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
You mind giving me an idea where this pin is? Im guessing the hardest to reach location. Appreciate the help.
Would love to help you out, but I still haven't gotten around to the mod :p

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks clean, I am looking to do something similar! I am in and out of my bed way to much!

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks clean, I am looking to do something similar! I am in and out of my bed way to much!
I actually just recently redid my setup. Was kicking myself for not adding the factory switch in the back the first time.

Last edited:

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like that idea, is a great addition. I have a 14 so adding the stock lights is not an option since they did not have any option then that I am aware of. I was thinking why cant I run a wire from the cargo lights and so when I turn it on the bed lights will come on. Also like you did put a switch in. How did you wire that to get it to go both ways?

OP
OP
DoughRat19

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like that idea, is a great addition. I have a 14 so adding the stock lights is not an option since they did not have any option then that I am aware of. I was thinking why cant I run a wire from the cargo lights and so when I turn it on the bed lights will come on. Also like you did put a switch in. How did you wire that to get it to go both ways?
The switch was an added option starting in 2018 I believe. Both the switch and lights wire back to the BCM. You definitely should be able to get something wired up taping into the cargo lights.

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The switch was an added option starting in 2018 I believe. Both the switch and lights wire back to the BCM. You definitely should be able to get something wired up taping into the cargo lights.
Yes I think that will work well, I will look for like a three way switch to turn the light on from the bed as an option too.