AlfaOBD programmed a replacement Key fob ok but it stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I asked about the interface being used because mine failed on cheap fobs AND with a OEM fob..and some are saying the interfaces like the Veepeak dont send all the information needed..I'm thinking of getting a Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth 3.0 OBD2 ... seems highly rated by a lot and does everything the obd link does but at half the price

Attachments

• s-l1600obd.jpg
    s-l1600obd.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 7
  • vvvvvvfgh.JPG
    vvvvvvfgh.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 7

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I asked about the interface being used because mine failed on cheap fobs AND with a OEM fob..and some are saying the interfaces like the Veepeak dont send all the information needed..I'm thinking of getting a Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth 3.0 OBD2 ... seems highly rated by a lot and does everything the obd link does but at half the price
I used a BAFX OBD reader to program mine. No issues thus far.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
has anyone found an answer to this issue..i have the exact problem,everything is perfect but then i drive it and shut it off the the fob is dead and when i try to program it again it says its already programed..first try was with a e-bay key,then they sent me another thinking it was defective and it did the same thing..then I bought a reman OEM key and the same thing happened..I'm using a VeePeak obd bluetooth dongle and AlphaObd to program it and someone mentioned it might be the 20 dollar VeePeak so I bought a OBDLink dongle and another key...same thing happened it was find in the driveway,locked,unlocked,remote started the whole thing..I started and shut off the truck 5 times in the drive and it was fine .So then I drove it around the block pulled in the drive ,shut off the truck and it wouldn't lock..checked all the functions and its dead like the others...wont even start the truck if you push the ignition button with it so I know the programing is gone...yet it says it got a program in it if i try and reprogram it again...i'm at a complete loss.........and it should be noted that this is the pushbutton start and the proximity fobik...there nothing on e-bay on programing one of these as the proximity fobiks with the push button start are a bit more complex..............Heres the added killer,I'm a master certified auto tech,been one for 30 years..and I'm stumped...and help would be appreciated... oh and my truck is a 2013 laramie,first year with the push button start and 8 speed trans

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
do you have the push button proximity fobik keyfob ?

I've read some of your posts. and the fact that it programmed, and worked. But stopped. I'm going guess, module on the truck is defective.

This will cost more money. But have tried bring to local dealer with oem fob, have them do it ?

Also after it fails, are there any error codes?

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I saw the video,followed it
I've read some of your posts. and the fact that it programmed, and worked. But stopped. I'm going guess, module on the truck is defective.

This will cost more money. But have tried bring to local dealer with oem fob, have them do it ?

Also after it fails, are there any error codes?
no codes and keep in mine my 2 original fobs work..they dont work good but they work...sometimes you have to hit the button a few times or get really close..but they always work so i would think if the hub was bad they would go out to...but to be honest i have thought of the hub...but dont know of anyway to verify it

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I saw the video,followed it

no codes and keep in mine my 2 original fobs work..they dont work good but they work...sometimes you have to hit the button a few times or get really close..but they always work so i would think if the hub was bad they would go out to...but to be honest i have thought of the hub...but dont know of anyway to verify it

That's why I was thinking module and/or hub has a problem. Based on what you wrote. You programmed different ones. Works, turn off the truck, then doesn't. But original does.
Common thing one would think, would be bad battery. Then next for me would be module or hub. Unless you can see something wet, or corrosion. Might have to just replace hub.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's why I was thinking module and/or hub has a problem. Based on what you wrote. You programmed different ones. Works, turn off the truck, then doesn't. But original does.
Common thing one would think, would be bad battery. Then next for me would be module or hub. Unless you can see something wet, or corrosion. Might have to just replace hub.
yeah its getting to that point...i see hubs on line for around 150 bucks,I dont know how difficult it is to program it with AlfaOBD or if you even can...but then i also assume NONE of my key fobs will work and i'll have to purchase and reprogram them all...and if that programing doesnt work i'm screwed..

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
How much is your time worth? Get the OBDLink MX+ and be done with it. Saving 50 bucks and having all these issues programing doesn't seem like a deal to me. May not be the actual cause, but given the OEM originals still work I would at least want to eliminate the connection/data transfer issues.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yeah its getting to that point...i see hubs on line for around 150 bucks,I dont know how difficult it is to program it with AlfaOBD or if you even can...but then i also assume NONE of my key fobs will work and i'll have to purchase and reprogram them all...and if that programing doesnt work i'm screwed..

I would try what @Dean2 mentioned first. I missed read your post. I thought you had 'cheaper' one and purchased new one. I personally use OBDLink MX+ never had issue. I use it for my Truck, Jeep and others.

I don't think that is issue, because you are also having issues with original's as well. But you never know.

There is couple posts on this site, few people did replace hub. I haven't done it myself, so not 100% sure everything you would have to do.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
How much is your time worth? Get the OBDLink MX+ and be done with it. Saving 50 bucks and having all these issues programing doesn't seem like a deal to me. May not be the actual cause, but given the OEM originals still work I would at least want to eliminate the connection/data transfer issues.
I did..that was my last attempt yesterday with the OBDLink MX and the same thing happened...everything worked until i drove the truck and shut it off...someone said the 2013 laramie has a rolling code ? but i cant find anything on line referring to that and nothing in this forum ?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I did..that was my last attempt yesterday with the OBDLink MX and the same thing happened...everything worked until i drove the truck and shut it off...someone said the 2013 laramie has a rolling code ? but i cant find anything on line referring to that and nothing in this forum ?
Well then, I would say it is time to take it to the dealer and have them program a new OEM FOB and see how that works. They should at least be able to track down what isn't working if it does it to them too.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
To add a little more insight, I had 2 supposedly OEM FOBS and a couple of knockoffs. This was before I had Alphaobd. Top notch locksmith could not get any of the 4 to program, nor could my dealer. Ended up buying OEM direct from the dealer, a lot more money, but it programmed up perfectly 1st try.

There are a ton of problems with Fobs bought from other than dealers. The copies are so good most can't tell them from original, but they sure don't work the same. A buddy of mine that programs FOBs for a living in Calgary recently told me that over 70% of the aftermarket FOBs for Post 2014 Rams fail.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Folks, Newbie here so apologies if this has been covered somewhere else but i didnt see the exact situation.

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi. Key fobs started working a little erratically (mostly the remote start would only work now and then) so I purchased a new fob from a "reputable" seller on Amazon. I already had AlfaOBD so was good to go. I followed the instructions to program and it worked perfectly. As soon I was done programming, the new fob locked unlocked and remote started the truck. I went inside happy things worked as planned.

Later I went to go out for a meeting so remote started with the new fob, went out to the truck and it unlocked when I put my hand on the door handle. I got in and off I went to my meeting. When I got there, as I walked away the fob would not lock the truck, would not unlock nor remote start. When I went to press the start button with the end of the fob the screen showed wrong key fob (or something like that). After ubering home and back to get my original fob, it unlocked and started fine.

Back at home I tried to re-program the new fob and it showed that it was already programmed. Thinking It was crap keyfob I ordered another, went through the same process (Connected to the RF Hub, read the PIN, selected program Highline FOBIK, pressed the unlock button once) and the key programmed up as expected, but once I wnet inside and tried to use it again in seems bricked like the first one.

Has anyone experienced this or have experience to know what I'm doing wrong? This is getting frustrating.

Thanks in advance, this forum is such a great wealth of knowledge!
Did you reset the RF Hub after programming the fob?

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thats the exact issue I'm speaking of so you're not alone...mine worked fine at home and performed all required funtions even the global down that I activated with AlfoOBD...later i drove to the park to walk the dog,got out and couldnt lock the truck...then tried to start the truck..even pushing the button with the fob..and nothing. the wife had to bring me my funky oem key that takes a few times to work...

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a BigHorn which did not come with keyless and go from the factory in 2018. I added it myself using instructions from this site. It uses all OEM components, functions and looks exactly like a factory system. When I programmed fobs to the system the directions I followed had a RF Hub reset step.

Below is quoted from this website under “How to add factory keyless enter n go” by jimmy07

“Now we’re ready to program the new fob and hub. Close the driver door and open it to wake up the bus. Confirm that the BCM took the settings from earlier, as the EVIC should display press brake + start button. Fire up the alfa and connect to the RF Hub. Set the new fob on the center console lid. Click the car with hood open and select “program ignition fobiks highline system”. Enter your PIN and follow the prompts. Once that is complete, and still connected to the hub, go to “RF Hub reset/replace”. This time, for PIN, enter 0000 and hit start. When the procedure is complete, step on the brake and start the truck. It will probably die after a few seconds, and you’ll have TPMS warnings. Now put the truck in run (engine off), still connected to RF Hub, click on the little engine then read and clear faults. Perform RF Hub replace again. Start the truck again and it should stay running now, but, you will have lost your TPMS sensors. Start driving around for a while to see if the sensors will pick up. If they don’t, pull over, connect to the RF Hub, go to “sensor rolls test”, hit start, and start driving again. They should immediately register now. Park the truck and clear faults again, and you’re done. Now you have push button start.”

On the above write up where it comes to entering 0000 for your PIN you would enter the original PIN that came with your truck. The 0000 PIN is for those of us who replaced our factory RF hubs.

Please note that there are several versions of AlfaOBD out there and the above information is for the 2020-ish version. Newer versions may not need the above steps.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine is the factory push start and i used alphaOBD to pull the 4 digit factory code...but the programming of the key was the same... I was thinking maybe my hub was bad but in another forum a guy has this same issue and replaced the hub and still had the exact issue with the fob loosing its programing after the truck was driven and shut of . . so at the moment i'm clueless....and yes there is a bad version of AlphaOBD..the newest version i was told askes for a 5 digit pin.. which doesnt exist it's a 4 digit pin...but the older versions work fine.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is the factory push start and i used alphaOBD to pull the 4 digit factory code...but the programming of the key was the same... I was thinking maybe my hub was bad but in another forum a guy has this same issue and replaced the hub and still had the exact issue with the fob loosing its programing after the truck was driven and shut of . . so at the moment i'm clueless....and yes there is a bad version of AlphaOBD..the newest version i was told askes for a 5 digit pin.. which doesnt exist it's a 4 digit pin...but the older versions work fine.
My question for you is, are you resetting the RF hub as your final step? It’s like updating windows, you have to reboot so the information gets written to the system. Everything you and the OP are saying sounds like the fobs program but when power is cut it loses the programming. Resetting the RF hub should write the information to the system. I saw your screenshot of Alfa where it said “fob programmed” but not that it was written to the memory/system. I don’t personally think it’s the fobs. I have a used Ram fob that was unlocked by a locksmith. Most claimed it wouldn’t work but it programmed just fine. I also used two Amazon cheapie fobs and both programmed fine. Usually when it’s a bad fob Alfa will say programming failed of unable to program. You got your fob to program, the system needs to be told to use it. I’d personally try resetting the RF hub and see what happens.

Last edited:

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
No you definitely do not want to reset the Hub don't do tha.. . and what I haven't mentioned that I'm a Master Certified mechanic and I've done this for years on our work trucks I'm a mechanic for the US Postal Service and we have a lot of Dodge vehicles.... this is a specific problem with the 2013 Ram that I'm running into.. if you reset the Hub all of your existing keys will Now fail to work which means if your new fob fails you will be **** out of luck since you cannot reprogram over an existing program you would have to buy all new keys not to mention I'm on a Facebook Dodge Ram forum where a guy put in a new Hub programmed his key and the exact thing happened it worked fine until he drove it and shut it off some people are saying the 2013 being a transitional year had some type of rotating program like a garage door opener I can't verify that and have no proof of it.... and as the other comment above about it OEM key I have tried an OEM key yes some you've been using Alpha OBD but I also use that on work trucks I've never had a problem I also program keys for my 2011 Ram and had no problem it's a specific issue that I'm having with my truck and a lot of other guys that have had this issue coincidentally have all owned... Wait for it...... 2013's

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well Sir I wish you the best of luck hunting down the issue with the 2013. I’m outta ideas and you have much more experience.