AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would say if your tablet is still supported by Android security updates you are good. If you have an older tablet, it might still work but you are at risk of viruses, which could transfer to your vehicle. Unlikely, but possible.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It you have a laptop PC, that works just fine. I use the laptop instead of the phone / tablet. Like the interface better.

I agree with that preference.

Android phones or anything Android are a hideous device to make critical modifications that could be capable of causing significant harm to your vehicle.

That's why I chose to use a Windows laptop pc. I can perform and file screen captures much easier, maintain and update tracking records of all changes, step by step. I can easily open a browser window and lookup online resources without leaving my truck. :cool:

And from my experience, I don't have much appreciation for playing games with Bluetooth connections either, especially on anything important.

I bought an OBDLink SX and connect with a reliable USB hardline connection.

All changes to my truck and creation of backup configuration files are somewhat instantaneous.

YMMV :cool:

Last edited:

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am about to start my AlfaOBD journey, plan to do a cluster change, maybe LED's and I saw a video about Windows down that I'd like to do. 2 things I'd like to know.
1)-VIN write when doing the cluster change should the VIN write be done before/after changing mileage/engine hours or do you not even have to worry about it?
2)- I've seen posts about things changing on its own, and having to revert to the uploaded file and going thru everything. So my overthinking brain, questions what if a trim never had the option for windows down, will it not be an option on AlfaOBD, will it just fail when i try, or could it go through but change other items, thinking its a different trim?
Edit: sorry maybe i should've made a thread about this and not a reply to the topic.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am about to start my AlfaOBD journey, plan to do a cluster change, maybe LED's and I saw a video about Windows down that I'd like to do. 2 things I'd like to know.
1)-VIN write when doing the cluster change should the VIN write be done before/after changing mileage/engine hours or do you not even have to worry about it?
2)- I've seen posts about things changing on its own, and having to revert to the uploaded file and going thru everything. So my overthinking brain, questions what if a trim never had the option for windows down, will it not be an option on AlfaOBD, will it just fail when i try, or could it go through but change other items, thinking its a different trim?
Edit: sorry maybe i should've made a thread about this and not a reply to the topic.

I'm new to tweaking with AlfaOB and I don't have any experience with VIN adjustments.

I did successfully set the Global Windows Down feature.

Press Unlock once to unlock, then press and hold Unlock as the front windows drop.
If you let go, the windows will stop lowering, to allow a partial opening.

I've also set the Global Window Up but haven't spent much time testing it yet.
It's supposed to function using the Lock button.

AlfaOBD Global windows down.jpg

BTW, I use AlfaOBD on Windows. :cool:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There have been quite a few people that have tried the global window up and no one has reported that it works.

Thanks for that info.

I did try it a few times without success but thought maybe I was missing something. I haven't done too much experimentation yet but I'm very pleased with no dropout on the (fog) running lights.

I drive mostly in a rural area, it's nice to see both ditches and tree lines well-lit at night. There are too many creatures bolting from the shrubberies. :cool:

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. It doesn’t seem like there’s much info about the VIN write and the why/when/what for.
I also have yet to find anyone saying they got the windows up to work, only see the windows down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio