Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AlfaOBD

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by Ghost_RAM, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Kenny Rogers

Kenny Rogers Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thank you for the information great appreciate it.

So if I change the original door module back in the door I can still turn these options on with alfaobd

2. Shugarrckbx

Shugarrckbx Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    The answer is yes.I installed factory tow mirrors from a 2500,on to my 1500 and used the factory door modules and turned on puddle lights and turn signals , no problem, Rick's ram is correct. As the same as he said tho I never adjusted any voltage, was fine the way it is, no problems..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  3. No Tyme

No Tyme Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I am currently installing tow mirrors on my 1500 and trying to enable the door handle backlighting. In the door module, top right blue connector, shouldn't that #3 pin give me the power for running lights.
    Jimmy is sending me another harness but if I understand correctly that pin supplies the run light power.
    I did turn it on in Alfa but still no power.

4. bruce219

bruce219 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    pentastar
    I tell you Rick I was sweating picking up that truck because guy told me one of recalls was bcm update but I don't see it on the printout sheet they gave me when I picked it up.

5. No Tyme

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I hope some of you may shed some light on my ongoing project. Installing tow mirrors from Boost Auto, power folding to replace my stock power folding mirrors. All the functions work as the mirrors themselves go and I really like the fact that when the mirrors are flipped up/out for towing the adjustment features work as they should. The issue I am having is I wanted to mod the turn signal lights to act as running/turn signals lights. Now here are the issues:

1st I do not want to tap into any wires because the truck is under warranty. I don’t want to give FCA any reason to void a warranty as I have 5 years to go.

2nd I chose a harness from Dude’s Diesel which will avoid any splicing any wires but the first set is not working.

I am not totally sure of where the power for the running lights are coming from. The harness in question has two extra wires that I needed to pin into an existing connection in the door module. I also have to use Alfa to turn on certain functions so the turn light has power for as a running light. Those show as activated. Now I was instructed to run power to the two wires and was able to confirm the light did not function as a running light. Now I also confirmed that where that wire module plugs in, that #3 pin that I believe is to supply power for the running light does not show energized.

So my question is, does the power for the running light come from that pin in the door module OR does it from the wires (harness) that attaches to that top right connection?

Jimmy feels the harness is bad and sending a replacement but the fact is I was planning a trip south to pull my toy hauler the week of the 17th and I need to get this issue behind me. I have been on this issue for over a week now and I am just about to give up. I have made 4 changes to the BMC with Alfa so I feel that part is correct, but I am tired of pulling door panels.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

6. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Note this is for my 2017, Im not sure if (how) different the 2019 would be, although the connector view website shows the 2019 as the same as mine:

Looking at connector views for each door module connector (for Drivers side), there is only one pin #3 that might be power-related. It is on connector C5 and is labelled as "Door ambient light feed driv". Pin 9 of the same connector is the "return" feed. So, Im guessing C5 is the right one BUT it might not do anything if your truck didnt have ambient lighting OR you need to enable something else in Alfa. Which jives with Dude's Diesel installation instructions...

As long as you enabled the correct settings (Door map pocket LED present, Door courtesy lamps present, Door handle LED present), it might take some time for them to actually enable since yours is 2018 or newer. From what it looks like, to me the power is supposed to come from those pins on the door module.

EDIT: something else to check...it sounds dumb, but Ive seen modules where not every pin was present on the actual module. So you could plug your new wire into pin 3 of the connector, but there was no pin 3 on the module so it wouldnt connect to anything anyway. Something to check (although youd need to pull the door panel and unplug the connection to do so)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    No Tyme likes this.
  7. No Tyme

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Thanks for responding. I have been told NO difference in my 2019 Classic to the 18 and earlier and I have enabled the 3 settings that you posted... actually twice. I went back and disabled and went through the steps, 1 at a time cycling the key and open/closing door when I re-enabled. When I sent a message to Jimmy his response is the circuit is live but when I touch the pin in the door module it has no power. He also said this could be that since the circuit is not complete, the computer is showing a fault and shut down the circuit.
    I have messaged this guy day and night, weekends as late as 9 pm and he has responded. I quite frankly never seen customer service quite like this before, exceptional is an understatement.
    The #3 pin I speak of is in the top right connection which has a blue cover on the connector. The red wire in the harness (from Dude's Diesel) goes into position #3 on that connector.
    I am just hoping this mod turns out and was hoping to see if any others with the Classic 2019 model has solved this issue.

8. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    jimmy07 = Dude's Diesel?

I can vouch for his knowledge and communication for sure. We've chatted about my own projects and he has always been knowledgeable, accurate and prompt. I would defer to whatever he says over what I came up with :)

SitKneelBend and No Tyme like this.
  9. No Tyme

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I am hoping my replacement harness which is in Detroit's mail center now gets here tomorrow. He is sure that is the issue, so with your endorsement of his knowledge and from what I have seen his dedicated customer support I feel that I will get these issues solved

10. WVRam68

WVRam68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Jimmy07 sells his kits thru Dude's.

Jimmy07 is a awesome person, dealt with him also.

2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4
    Extang Full tilt tonneau
    Nitro Ridge Grappler LT295/70R18 on Mayhem rims.
    Added aux switches
    KC LED SPOTS and FLOODS
    MORIMOTO LED head and tail lites

Mpgrimm2 and No Tyme like this.