AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Ok I get it now, a line for fifth wheel trailer makes sense,

Was just confused as dynamic and static gridlines are primarily used for the reverse camera

Might there be another setting in Alfa specifically for the cargo camera, or maybe one the the developer hasn’t listed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that is the question, and why the posts going back and forth between several of us in this thread. All trying to find the missing setting. Right now we have been looking at it as if we missed the setting, not the developer, especially since several of us have downloaded our BCM configuration which has all the settings in it from Ram and going through that list to identify it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, it will be the weekend before I’m able to pull it back apart and try it. My truck is a 2016 2500 Cummins 4wd crew cab Laramie
I would be shocked if it wasn't there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I’m curious to see if it works. I’m going to go check if it’s there and run a jumper wire to it and see what happens. I’ll report back in a few.
You said your extra wire in your cargo cam harness was not marked correct?

scott116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You said your extra wire in your cargo cam harness was not marked correct?

Correct. It was plugged into the camera/light and it wasn’t hooked to anything behind the dash were it ran to.

scott116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I connected to my Lin on the passenger side C Pillar pin#6 but it is not present there on all trucks. It depends on what truck you havec and what trim level it is. The correct wiring was there on my 14 Express 1500 Quad Cab but not present on STecoD's 15 Crew Cab 1500 Tradesman. Both trucks were equipped identically as far as interior options. The pic with more populated wires is my truck his is the other. There are other places you can connect to the Lin though depending on what truck you have. 2638d9720b7185f098f3696c15fe4a88.jpg325313f87d6ca06598dd43808cf050b7.jpg

Is this the plug? Passenger C pillar. Mine has a wire going into the harness on pin 6 already.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. It was plugged into the camera/light and it wasn’t hooked to anything behind the dash were it ran to.
Probably is the correct wire but since it's not marked might be a good idea to contact them to verify it's for the Lin. Hopefully they will know what it's for.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the plug? Passenger C pillar. Mine has a wire going into the harness on pin 6 already.
What color is it? Can you send a pic?

scott116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This is the plug side going above the headliner. It’s the white wire with the green tracer in pin 6. It’s the same wire on harness side.

image.jpg

image.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found pin 26 on the C6/F connector on the bcm is circuit L26- cargo lamp switch signal

That might be it.

The 2017 BCM does not have that populated, but the 2018 BCM does and it is the violet lead that seems to go all the way to the bed located switch.

Now the question would be if the 2017 BCM responds to that lead or not.

scott116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If its orange/violet it's the same color as mine. It should be the Lin wire in pin#6.

I pulled the driver side pillar to see if maybe it was here. Pin 6 is empty on the headliner side but pin 6 on the harness side is pink with yellow tracer.

image.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled the driver side pillar to see if maybe it was here. Pin 6 is empty on the headliner side but pin 6 on the harness side is pink with yellow tracer.

View attachment 148984
Looks like pin#6 is orange/violet from that pic. Pin#6 should be to the far left in the front.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to apologize. I said passenger side C pillar and its drivers side C pillar I am sorry for the mistake. I will try to go back and change my post. I don't know why I said passenger side when it's the DRIVERS SIDE. The picture you sent of your drivers side C pillar connector is correct. Pin#6 is populated on the bottom and it is the one on the far left in the front and it should be Orange and Violet that is the Lin connection.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I set the setting to Dynamic & Static. So here is the weird part. Scott116, Ghost and myself have different results from each other. Here they are:

Scott116: "I enabled static and active, I tried with both checked and every other possible combination, key on engine running, truck in reverse... still no cargo cam line. My cargo cam line box stays checked when I first enable it with Alfa but if I uncheck it it won’t let me check it again."

Ghost: "I can actually enable both and they will stay checked even after an engine cycle. Dynamic overrides static though."

Me: I now have both options Dynamic and Fixed guidelines now in the menu, the same as Ghost shows in post #3316. And just like Ghost I can check both and both stay checked at the same time. But when I check the box for Cargo Camera Guidelines (as seen in Scott's post #3309) it STILL unchecks itself after a couple of seconds.

So nobody has gotten the guidelines to show up for the cargo camera and the 3 of us have had different results as to how the soft buttons behave.

When I first put my cargo cam in I tried for along time to get the grid lines to work . I chalked it up to a problem with AutoEngenuity. The same thing would happen, I’d click on the option on the radio and it would uncheck itself. I asked several people who had factory cargo cams if they had the option and everyone said no. So I gave up and chalked it up to a feature that FCA never fully implemented. And yes, my cargocam harnesses provide the Lin connection. I had asked some people smarter than me why it needs a Lin connection if no grid lines are available and I was told the the Lin tells the camera to shut off. Without it it’s on all the time, just not displayed on the radio. I’ve not proven this, but it does make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outlawhdst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I just downloaded ALFAOBD and when I select my truck 2018 2500 and go function body computer and then control unit theres no 2018,,,,, just got it and waiting on bypass cable

scott116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I need to apologize. I said passenger side C pillar and its drivers side C pillar I am sorry for the mistake. I will try to go back and change my post. I don't know why I said passenger side when it's the DRIVERS SIDE. The picture you sent of your drivers side C pillar connector is correct. Pin#6 is populated on the bottom and it is the one on the far left in the front and it should be Orange and Violet that is the Lin connection.

Thanks for the help on the phone Rick, I’ve emailed infotainment about the left over wire on my harness to make sure that’s for the Guideline. I’ll let everyone know the outcome.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
When I first put my cargo cam in I tried for along time to get the grid lines to work . I chalked it up to a problem with AutoEngenuity. The same thing would happen, I’d click on the option on the radio and it would uncheck itself. I asked several people who had factory cargo cams if they had the option and everyone said no. So I gave up and chalked it up to a feature that FCA never fully implemented. And yes, my cargocam harnesses provide the Lin connection. I had asked some people smarter than me why it needs a Lin connection if no grid lines are available and I was told the the Lin tells the camera to shut off. Without it it’s on all the time, just not displayed on the radio. I’ve not proven this, but it does make sense.

There is ONE more settig I do not know about, in fact I do not know where it is in the Alfa program. Not only that but I also do not know if anyone has tried setting it. I highlighted it below:

Static Gridlines Enabled: Set
Dynamic Gridlines Enabled: Set
Sound Horn On Lock Status: Chirp on 2nd press
Customer Programming Switches:
Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines Enabled: Not set

LIN Module Customer Programmable Features:
Rear View Camera Static Grid Lines Enabled: Set
Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines Enabled: Set

Yes it says Dynamic, but does the description "switches" or switch function, refer to enabling "switching" from dynamic to static?

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That might be it.

The 2017 BCM does not have that populated, but the 2018 BCM does and it is the violet lead that seems to go all the way to the bed located switch.

Now the question would be if the 2017 BCM responds to that lead or not.

That is correct for 2018 models the bed light switch runs back to the bcm. I doubt previous year models bcms would respond to that circuit, but who knows until someone tries it.
7febf4a395764c3b6f80f63acc0b9769.jpg