AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clay Routh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Deisel
When, exactly, do you need the radio pin? I understand needing the pin for keys, but I have been reading (first from post 1 up, and alternately from the last post down) every free moment I have and haven't come up with an answer to that question.
Thanks for any hint you can give me.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When, exactly, do you need the radio pin? I understand needing the pin for keys, but I have been reading (first from post 1 up, and alternately from the last post down) every free moment I have and haven't come up with an answer to that question.
Anything dealing with the RFhub (list in Alfa under hub settings), key reprogram, tire pressure changes, tire size changes and adding a remote start. Maybe someone else will chime in with a more comprehensive list for you. I'll get this added to the OP.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD

The radio PIN is needed when you install a radio from one vehicle to another. It is an anti theft code to make the radios undesirable to steal due to them not working. For what its worth, it is not that difficult to get the PIN if you don't get one with the replacement radio.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated it's not necessary to have the four digit RFH pin to change the tire size but you would need to change other settings such as TPMS settings and programming keys. The other pin is for the radio itself and it's called the unlock code. It's also a 4 digit pin. It is only necessary when putting the radio in a different vehicle. Once you install that radio in your vehicle it will be locked to your Vin# and you will not need to add the code again even if you take the radio in and out of the truck. The RA3/RA4 8.4" radios plus UAS/UAQ 8.4" radios will always need an unlock code when installing it in a different truck. The RA1 3" and RA2 5" radios in most cases will not need the unlock code. The 2018 trucks require a security bypass cable from (M2mods) a vendor on the forum in order for the alpha tool to connect to the truck. It simply plugs into place and can be left in once installed if you plan on making further changes or it can be removed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive successfully changed my tire size without knowing my pin [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I know I've read somewhere with someone stating they had to reset their hub for the tire settings to take but maybe something changed in the subsequent versions of Alfa?

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The RA3/RA4 8.4" radios plus UAS/UAQ 8.4" radios will always need an unlock code when installing it in a different truck.

I’ve put two different UAQ radios in my truck and neither asked for an unlock code.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve put two different UAQ radios in my truck and neither asked for an unlock code.
The only time I have installed a UAQ radio that did not need a code was when I bought mine new and installed it in my truck. I have installed three used UAS/UAQ radios that in two different trucks while we were testing and all three required the unlock code. If your radios were used I'm not sure what the difference would be but it's good info to have. Either way the unlock code is easy to get if needed.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The only time I have installed a UAQ radio that did not need a code was when I bought mine new and installed it in my truck. I have installed three used UAS/UAQ radios that in two different trucks while we were testing and all three required the unlock code. If your radios were used I'm not sure what the difference would be but it's good info to have. Either way the unlock code is easy to get if needed.

One of the radios could have been new. The second one was definitely used purchased from a salvage yard. Does AlfaOBD have the ability to do a factory reset on a radio? No one has found the engineering mode on the new UAQ/UAS in our trucks. I’ve read that dealers can reset the radios using WiTech, but wasn’t sure if AlfaOBD is able to do the same.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have changed radios 4 times, RA1 BT, RA2, UAS, UAQ and needed the unlock code every time for my 2018.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are you using the Windows or Android version of Alpha? I have the Android version and when I pull the radio info the Vin readout looks like this:

Code:
VIN: �����������������

Which looks like a font issue, but I've not seen anything else in Alpha show up that way.

-K

Can you tell me where to find the radio settings in Alpha? I've poked around but I haven't found anything.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can you tell me where to find the radio settings in Alpha? I've poked around but I haven't found anything.

Select Dodge/Ram
Select Appropriate model (RAM 1500 (DS/DX) in my case
Select Radio
Select Radio Navigator Module 2013-2016 PowerNet

Select "Connect"

If you want the settings dump, select the battery icon at the bottom, then "Read System ID" and "Read System Status" to dump all the info to a log.

-K

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone on the fence the recommended MX adapter the + version is on amazon for 20% off today. This is the mx version and adds free oem support from the adapter company as well iOS support. The Alfa app isn’t on iOS but for me to use as a quick scnanner when my primary carry phone is an iPhone this makes it a great price being the same price as the recommended adapter!

Last edited:

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm really glad the topic of radio unlock codes got brought up. I have a UAS radio for sale in the forum and an unlock code never crossed my mind, as I installed it new. I know what it's like to have a radio that's 4 numbers away from functionality, so I went ahead and got the code for the next guy. Turns out this thread is helpful for a multitude of things. Thanks again to all contributors!

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Select Dodge/Ram
Select Appropriate model (RAM 1500 (DS/DX) in my case
Select Radio
Select Radio Navigator Module 2013-2016 PowerNet

Select "Connect"

If you want the settings dump, select the battery icon at the bottom, then "Read System ID" and "Read System Status" to dump all the info to a log.

-K
This gives me the radio unlock code? Not that I need it, just good to know

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For anyone on the fence the recommended MX adapter the + version is on amazon for 20% off today. This is the mx version and adds free oem support from the adapter company as well iOS support. The Alfa app isn’t on iOS but for me to use as a quick scnanner when my primary carry phone is an iPhone this makes it a great price being the same price as the recommended adapter!

Thanks! I picked one up!

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I didn't have any luck getting an unlock code for an RA2 in the past; called several dealers and got nowhere. I gave up and just paid $13 to these guys.

They email the code in a few minutes and it saved me a lot of frustration. Just used them again for a UAS radio. Just another option...But it would be really cool if AlfaOBD could do it

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I didn't have any luck getting an unlock code for an RA2 in the past; called several dealers and got nowhere. I gave up and just paid $13 to these guys.

They email the code in a few minutes and it saved me a lot of frustration. Just used them again for a UAS radio. Just another option...But it would be really cool if AlfaOBD could do it
Too bad you can't get the navigation unlock codes for cheap

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: