AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just so happen to have a Mirror from a 17 truck that has the AHBM/SmartBeam sensor and no mics that I won't be using... was going to post it on the For Sale forum, just haven't gotten around to it. Pretty sure it has the auto dim sensor as well.
Any Auto High Beam mirror should be Auto Dim as well. The light sensor for the Auto Dim works in coordination with Auto High Beam. I see the auto dimming mirrors listed incorrectly all the time on eBay saying their Auto High Beam when they are not. This is a picture of a Auto Dim/Auto High Beam mirror for the 13 to 16 Ram with the plastic mirror cover removed. If you are wanting to add Auto High Beams to your truck this is the mirror you need. If it does not have this camera lens type setup on it is not an auto high beam85ee4b72c47905b903eb1fbf795dde56.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any Auto High Beam mirror should be Auto Dim as well. The light sensor for the Auto Dim works in coordination with Auto High Beam. I see the auto dimming mirrors listed incorrectly all the time on eBay saying their Auto High Beam when they are not. This is a picture of a Auto Dim/Auto High Beam mirror for the 13 to 16 Ram with the plastic mirror cover removed. If you are wanting to add Auto High Beams to your truck this is the mirror you need. If it does not have this camera lens type setup on it is not an auto high beam

That jives with the parts list I found. There is no rear view mirror with only the Smart Beam sales code. The only 2 that have Smartbeam also have auto dimming.

Thanks for the pic, now I know what to look for if I happen to find one labelled incorrectly on Ebay. Sometimes they dont know what they have *in our favor* so a deal can be had if you look closely and are patient.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
The one thing I noticed with this app....I cant connect to the Transmission module.

The only option I saw was 8HP45, i tried to connect but it failed (I have the 8HP70).

Anyone else?
I will poop my pants, if this thing can load in diff tranny tunes and change things via the app.

Aftermarket tuners do tune the 8spd tranny through the obd interface so this maybe a real thing?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That jives with the parts list I found. There is no rear view mirror with only the Smart Beam sales code. The only 2 that have Smartbeam also have auto dimming.

Thanks for the pic, now I know what to look for if I happen to find one labelled incorrectly on Ebay. Sometimes they dont know what they have *in our favor* so a deal can be had if you look closely and are patient.
That's how I got mine. Unfortunately most of time I see them listed with option when they don't actually have it rather than saying they don't have the option when they do. I think a lot of junk yards see that little square light sensor on the mirror and assume that's for the auto high beam. I was confused by that at first as well until I saw an actual Auto High Beam mirror.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will poop my pants, if this thing can load in diff tranny tunes and change things via the app.

Ive connected with another app but there was no way to change anything its not something I want to do anyway, but there were a lot of data values you could monitor (a good one was torque converter slip....it confirmed the first 1-2 shift of the day has more built in slip than any other shift...~100 RPM vs ~20 RPM for all other shifts)

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes they dont know what they have *in our favor* so a deal can be had if you look closely and are patient.
As was the case with mine. My guardian eBay angel was looking out for me. Lol

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Aftermarket tuners do tune the 8spd tranny through the obd interface so this maybe a real thing?
A word of caution: I wouldn't recommend going in and changing certain engine or transmission parameters with this tool if it is capable unless you are absolutely sure of what you're changing. You can get into some real problems if you change things the wrong way and don't remember what you did or you're unable to put it back.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed with that statement. Plus, while the Alfa tool hasn't "bricked" anything for anyone yet, it doesn't mean it can't either.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just spent an hour in my truck messing with settings. I found the following options:
Diagnostics for every light on the truck. Exterior bulbs plus all evic lights etc...
I literally stood outside the truck and turned on all the lights with my galaxy tablet. And checked all lights in the evic. Badass! Especially considering I bought a premium cluster. Mine came with the 3in...

Different EVIC logos

Fog lights drop out

user defined drls

Tpms threshold

Tpms enable and reset to learn new sensors

I have to admit that the interface is not really user friendly though. I kept hitting the back button too many times and had to reselect the module to modify.

I will also confirm that changes take up to about 5 minutes to work. My drls won't activate still though. I left the setting on in hopes that I didn't wait long enough.

Ghost, is this the setting to disable canbus for lights? See attached screen shot. Yes I haven't used my tablet in a while. I was rushing before my battery died haha

Screenshot_2018-08-09-18-13-18.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@G-Ride990 I haven't messed with that so I cannot be certain.

As far as your DRLs, how long ago did you make the changes?

This is what you have selected?

DRL Configuration
Select “Optional DRL”

DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.

DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”

DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable
Select “yes”

Daytime Running Lights CSM
Select “yes”

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I waited about 10 minutes. But during that time I was searching through settings like crazy. I power cycled the truck once and opened and closed the door too. The splash screen worked instantly though. EDIT: By splash screen I meant the evic logo.

It was too hot and miserable to sit in my truck much longer though. Tomorrow morning I will double check what I changed and add to the list what worked.

Last edited:

randotx

Reaction score
Yes there is definitely an option there to turn them on. I have not done it with this tool because I activated mine with the AE tool but it's got the same settings the AE tool does so I don't see why it wouldn't work. STecoD did turn on his rear heated seats with it and it worked fine.

Awesome. Thank you! I’m looking forward to this. I’ll report back with my findings!

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I waited about 10 minutes. But during that time I was searching through settings like crazy. I power cycled the truck once and opened and closed the door too. The srt splash screen worked instantly though.

It was too hot and miserable to sit in my truck much longer though. Tomorrow morning I will double check what I changed and add to the list what worked.
So you were searching after you enabled it? It won't actually set until the truck sleeps. It really does depend on the setting. I've had some take more than a couple cycles. You mentioned the SRT splash screen take almost immediately, on mine it took a while. I can't imagine your heat out there. It's hot/humid enough here.

For the DRLs, also check under settings/lights (on the 8.4 screen) and see if the box is checked too.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to add that the tpms threshold has a ton of options to choose. I will change mine tomorrow and see if works.

I was also able to define tire height and which transmission is equipped. I didn't do it yet though because I have the rough country calibration unit installed currently.

Damn this thing is badass! There are a million damn settings to look through!

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to add that the tpms threshold has a ton of options to choose. I will change mine tomorrow and see if works.

I was also able to define tire height and which transmission is equipped. I didn't do it yet though because I have the rough country calibration unit installed currently.

Damn this thing is badass! There are a million damn settings to look through!
Lol be careful!!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you were searching after you enabled it? It won't actually set until the truck sleeps. It really does depend on the setting. I've had some take more than a couple cycles. You mentioned the SRT splash screen take almost immediately, on mine it took a while. I can't imagine your heat out there. It's hot/humid enough here.

For the DRLs, also check under settings/lights (on the 8.4 screen) and see if the box is checked too.

Let me clarify. After changing a setting I turned the key off and removed it, opened and closed the door and then waited for my cluster to dim before proceeding with other changes.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me clarify. After changing a setting I turned the key off and removed it, opened and closed the door and then waited for my cluster to dim before proceeding with other changes.
Gotcha. Some will definitely take longer to take. Not sure why?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@G-Ride990 I haven't messed with that so I cannot be certain.

As far as your DRLs, how long ago did you make the changes?

This is what you have selected?

DRL Configuration
Select “Optional DRL”

DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.

DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”

DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable
Select “yes”

Daytime Running Lights CSM
Select “yes”

I set turn signals but set everything else as you did. I will take a look at my truck in a few minutes and see it if took.

I only changed a few settings so far so I can make Google drive backups as I go to verify what I changed.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for posting and editing so quickky. I will make a reply with everything that worked tomorrow. I'll share my Google drive files if anyone is interested too.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Do you have the option enabled in the 8.4 screen (daylight on/off)