AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please Read!!!
Supported years: 2013 to 2018
Make a backup of your original BCM configuration before making any changes. While we have a few BCM configs to compare with, there is nothing like comparing to your own pre-changes.

Instructions:
Uploading System ID (BCM) Information: Thank you Mpgrimm2
To upload your System ID information (BCM) go to the "Tools" icon in the upper right corner. From there select "Upload to Google Drive", it will ask you to link to Google Drive. Link your Google Drive to Alfa. Select "Upload to Google Drive" and "Upload Faults and Status Log". Then select "Body_Chrysler_Info". Name the file to upload whatever you wish. Done! Now you can go to your Google Drive and read the system info a little easier.

For viewing the information directly on the app, go to the bottom and select the battery icon once a connection has been made. Then select Read System ID. It should start populating below. Form what I have seen the Alfa programming tool keeps a record by date of all changes in the BCM from time of first connection.

WORKAROUND UNTIL DEV HAS FIXED POST #8734 and 8735 Thank you @enolS

Only make changes you are sure of.
There are quite a few setting in the AlfaOBD software that are just not for us Ram owners. What you will find in Alfa are code settings for most FCA vehicles. If it makes sense and if another Ram has it from factory, then chances are you can set it. You must also keep in mind not only code settings will get you what you want, you will also need the proper hardware installed. Alfa is not magical!!!

Hello all! Below is a list of known working codes when using AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX Bluetooth with Android tablet/phone. This thread is to get the information out about this program/tool and its powerful interface. Ricks Ram, STecoD, Mpgrimm2 and I have been able to activate the following codes with no ill effect. I personally have been in contact with the developer several times and he is very willing to help and is pushing updates fairly regularly.

AlfaOBD is only available to Android and Windows platform. There is NO iPhone support.

AlfaOBD
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AlfaOBD.AlfaOBD

OBDLink MX Bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ

MX vs MX+
***The MX+ is supposed to be slightly faster, comes with Enhanced Diagnostics Add-on and works with iOS devices. The price difference is only like $10. If you already have the MX the only major reason to change to the MX+ is if you want to use it with iOS(There is no AlfaOBD on iOS).*** Thanks @crash68

While there are other ways of connecting to your BCM with AlfaOBD, the above OBDII adapter has been tested and is preferred.

Before attempting any of this be sure to skim through the instructions/help pdf on getting started.
ANDROID http://www.alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Android_Help.pdf
WINDOWS http://alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Help.pdf

DeereGuy: In case anyone with a 2018 RAM would like to make changes to their truck, we have just officially announced a security bypass harness that will let alfaOBD and other tools work with the 2018s.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2018-ram-security-module-bypass.125133/#post-1801395

Please make notes for every code you set!!!
If there is a problem this will give you a starting point in which to go back and change what went wrong. We have found nothing in the codes listed below that is not reversible. While it is possible to select multiple codes at once, it is recommended to set one code at a time then let the truck sleep 3 to 5 minutes. When I first started this I noticed some of my codes didn't take right away. I believe it is because I was not giving it enough time.

Known Working List This link provides a working list of codes that will be updated periodically with new additions.

Write-ups for a few of the commonly sought after changes in Alfa. Thank you @1500ram12

Confirmation of DRL CSM showing on RA2 radio settings.

Original Post by @G-Ride990 ... Here and Here

Thank you @ramrocker for locating the above!

Shared BCM Configurations

Earlier Versions of AlfaOBD Thank you @Lawsuit11

Index of How To's and info: Thank you to all those who have contributed!!!
Android getting started

Windows getting started

Tire size adjustments (Easy online calculator)

TPMS

Fob Programming Walk Through

Obtaining 4 digit pin from reluctant dealer

Differences on 4 and 5 digit pin code.

Mirror info for tilt in reverse function

Adding Rain Sense Wipers

Adding OEM Cargo Camera with M2Mods Harness

BW 44-44 to BW 44-45 Transfer Case Swap

2006-2012 Thread on Alfa usage

Factory Keyless Enter N Go

Remove Air Suspension Warning (Disables air suspension)

Adding Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Heated/Vented Seats and Wheel Posts 6959 to 6968

Adding Front LED Turn/Park Lamps

Odometer Correction Post 7871 Thanks @Lawsuit11 (Proceed at your own risk! Still not perfect as the correction is slightly off in the tenths)

Engine Hour Correction Post 7910 Thanks @Lawsuit11 (Proceed at your own risk!)

Do not use an app called SRTactivator. It could possibly leave your truck inoperable or at very least needing to have the BCM flashed at the dealer. It is strongly advised to not change the "Vehicle Line" or "Vehicle Brand". Be very careful in making changes to settings you are unsure of or that have not been tested.

FYI - AlfaOBD needs to be connected to your truck in order for you to be able to see all the settings. While most of them will show, you will not have several other as well as all the CSMs.

Ricks Ram: "I wanted to mention it might be a good idea for guys to leave positive comments in the Google Play Store or wherever you buy the alphaOBD tool from and mention that you're using it for your RAM so the developer will see how many of us who are using the tool are from the Ram community. I'm thinking it might help us in the future as he refines a tool when he knows how many guys are using it for Ram trucks since it was primarily used for Alfa Romeos and other cars prior to the Ram pickup.

I'll continue to update as I find new working codes or fixes to issues as given to me.

Special thanks out to Ricks Ram, STecoD and Mpgrimm2!! I don't believe I missed anything here but if I did, please let me know and I will edit. Thanks!

Last edited:

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered Bluetooth MX last week and I’m getting it tomorrow! Can I acticate my inverter codes as well as things like change quad to projector headlight harness and switch rear bulbs from incandescent to leds?

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered Bluetooth MX last week and I’m getting it tomorrow! Can I acticate my inverter codes as well as things like change quad to projector headlight harness and switch rear bulbs from incandescent to leds?
Congrats, I'm sure you will not regret it. There is so many things you can do with this setup.

I have not messed with any of the inverter codes but I found the following just skimming through a few minutes ago.

Inverter Status Input Present
Inverter Enable Relay Output Present
DC to DC converter Present

Best thing I can say is make detailed notes of each change you make so you can revert back if you have adverse affects. Also, let us know and post your findings!

The headlights and harness have settings inside the program but maybe someone more aware of the process of swapping out the housings and harnesses can chime in. As far as the led lamps, the only thing I have done with any of the settings is the led license plate lamps. I changed the setting in mine to remove the pesky lamp out. I no longer get the message but then again I probably will not receive the warning of lamp out either because even with the bulb removed I get no message now.

Good luck!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all! Below is a list of known working codes when using AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX Bluetooth with Android tablet/phone. This thread is to get the information out about this program/tool and its powerful interface. Ricks Ram, STecoD, Mpgrimm2 and I have been able to activate the following codes with no ill effect. I personally have been in contact with the developer several times and he is very willing to help and is pushing updates fairly regularly.

AlfaOBD
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AlfaOBD.AlfaOBD

OBDLink MX Bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ

Before attempting any of this be sure to skim through the instructions on getting started. The following are found under "car configuration" with exception of the EC Mirror Auto Dim which is located in "program customer features".

Auto Dim High Beams:

Auto Highbeam
Select “yes”

Interior EC Mirror Present
Select“yes”

Smart Beam Present (AHBM)
Select “yes"

ASBM Present
Select “yes”

Auto High Beam Module Location
Select “ECC_AHBM"

Auto High Beam CSM
Select “yes”

Mirrors Interior Rear View and Exterior:

Interior EC Mirror Present

Puddle Lamp Present
Select “yes”

Mirror Turn Signal Present
Select “yes”

Electro-chromatic driver mirror present
Select “yes”

Electro-chromatic passenger mirror present
Select “yes”

Under “program customer features”

EC Mirror Auto Dim
Select “enable” ...I believe this merely turns on/off the auto dim mirror which can also be accomplished through the menu settings or soft key on the 8.4 screen.

HVAC Configuration (Dual Zone first, then activate Single Zone ATC)
Select:
Dual Zone ATC
Select:
Single Zone ATC

Nav Setting to disable/enable turn by turn on EVIC through 8.4

Nav turn by turn
Select “yes”

DRLs

DRL Configuration
Select “Optional DRL”

DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.

DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”

DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable
Select “yes”

Daytime Running Lights CSM
Select “yes”

Special thanks out to Ricks Ram, STecoD and Mpgrimm2!! I don't believe I missed anything here but if I did, please let me know and I will edit. Thanks!
Thanks for the great writeup and posting exactly what is needed to activate each code you have been successful with. This tool already seems to be able to add more codes than the AE tool like blinker lights,puddle lights,auto dim side mirrors,Smart Beam,single zone ATC ect and so far there are no corruption issues (knock on wood). It is also known that on the 2014 Rams the AE tool for some reason doesn't show all the options in the BCM. With the alphaOBD tool I can see all those settings as well. I have only had the alphaOBD for a few days but I already like it much better than my AE tool. I also like the fact that it's Bluetooth so there are no cables to connect to your laptop. I plan on keeping my Bluetooth OBD connector in the console of my truck at all times just in case I ever have an issues away from home I can also use it for diagnostics as long as I have my Android device. Hopefully people will use this thread to report what they have been able to activate with the alphaOBD tool and the exact steps they used to do it and also any problems they may have it so we can start to build a data base. I am hoping the developer continues to work with us to correct any issues we may find with the tool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rick, no way I could do any of this without your, STecoD, Mpgrimm2, DeereGuy and many others who have helped along the way with everything I have accomplished on my truck. Even the small issues I have had have either been reversible or the program wouldn't let me, but the developer is always quick to respond and great with keeping the tool updated.

Hopefully in the near future we will have a lot more to add to this thread in the way of successful codes. There is one downside to Alfa, it shows me all the things I would love to have in my truck! Lol

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm going to post up a link to the screenshots of my 18 Ram1500 Laramie's BCM settings (5.7L/8spd/3.21 4x2) using the AlfaOBD for anyone that wants to look/compare. Again all this is at your own risk so be careful with what you change.
18Ram1500 Laramie BCM settings link
-
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=17bwuc3oCIX8rULPYCwnscjkDVPKbcRcl

PS: if you have a 2018 Ram, you need to bypass the security module using our Bypass harness to be able to connect to the BCM with any scan tool (except the dealer's).
2018 RAM Security Module Bypass.
c397a1c6214fa31592bbae04793695cc.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I read another poster on here couldn't connect to their ECU with AlfaODB for some reason? Maybe it was just them?

If so I will gladly purchase a copy of the program immediately. Ive tried another app (FCADiag) but it didnt seem to have as many "can do" items as AlfaODB.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to post up a link to the screenshots of my 18 Ram1500 Laramie's BCM settings (5.7L/8spd/3.21 4x2) using the AlfaOBD for anyone that wants to look/compare. Again all this is at your own risk so be careful with what you change.
18Ram1500 Laramie BCM settings link.

M² Mods.
Thanks for posting. I need to do the same as soon as I figure out how.

I thought I read another poster on here couldn't connect to their ECU with AlfaODB for some reason? Maybe it was just them?

If so I will gladly purchase a copy of the program immediately. Ive tried another app (FCADiag) but it didnt seem to have as many "can do" items as AlfaODB.
I know one person who was having issues getting connected after an update that was sent out. After contacting the dev and a couple fixes he was up and running again.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

M² Mods.

Thanks for the images!

Are all/most/some/very few of the settings in the screenshots actually set-able through the app?

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For those of us without Android phones, is the windows version able to be used as well?

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those of us without Android phones, is the windows version able to be used as well?
Yes, they have a windows version. I’ve successfully used it on Windows 10.

http://www.alfaobd.com/download.html

I must say though I prefer the usability of the android version more so. I’m using an old Note 2 with mine.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes, they have a windows version. I’ve successfully used it on Windows 10.

http://www.alfaobd.com/download.html

I must say though I prefer the usability of the android version more so. I’m using an old Note 2 with mine.

Cool, thanks for the update. Maybe I'll be able to find an old android device to use.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the images!

Are all/most/some/very few of the settings in the screenshots actually set-able through the app?
Can't say. I've been in Oklahoma since July for work without my truck. Head back next week.

I just posted those screenshots to help out folks have a better idea/comparison of what to look for when adding options on their truck. Hopefully Ghost_Ram will keep updating the OP as much as he can with new info for everyone. (if the forum doesn't lock it after a certain timeframe).

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully Ghost_Ram will keep updating the OP as much as he can with new info for everyone. (if the forum doesn't lock it after a certain timeframe).

M² Mods.
I'm more than happy to do it as long as I am able. Going to be adding more info shortly to hopefully help out those just getting into this. One thing is for sure, whenever making any changes take copious notes, and from my experience, change one thing at a time and see what happens. It'll be easier later to look back if an issue should arise. Luckily, so far everything has been user error, for me anyway. Lol

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update: Found something interesting this evening I did not know the AlfaOBD app was doing. It keeps a connection log and store it all by date under the "Read System ID". Others may have seen this already. Very useful when tracking changes made and possible issues that may arise.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can no longer edit thread. Maybe the mods can do something about this?

Auto Tilt Mirrors in Reverse Thank you PNUTLT1
Driver Memory Mirrors Present
Select "Yes"
Passenger Memory Mirrors Present
Select "Yes"
Tilt mirror in reverse
Select "Yes"

Also

Fog lamps with high beams
Fog lamp dropout enable
Select "No"

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you actually have to have memory mirrors for the auto tilt to work?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m sure some people are gonna want to know about lowering TPMS threshold...

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you actually have to have memory mirrors for the auto tilt to work?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My mirrors are upgraded so I cannot test but I would think you would need them. I'm sure someone will try with the standard mirrors soon and will hopefully report back.

I’m sure some people are gonna want to know about lowering TPMS threshold...
The are a few settings in Alfa for TPMS and if I'm not mistaken, threshold adjustment was one of them.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I enabled my tilt in reverse for my side mirrors on my 2014. I have upgraded power fold/auto dim mirrors and activated the driver and passenger mirror memory and enabled tilt mirrors in reverse CSM. Unfortunately mine don't seem to work. I have the option on my 8.4 screen to enable them but when I select the option it sets for a second or two but then shuts off. Going to playing with it but I don't think it's going to work on my truck for some reason.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk