AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does anyone know if there's a setting in alfa that has any control over your lower bank switches? like the panel holding your trailer brake and the push buttons for traction control, exhaust brake, tow haul, those buttons? Mine currently aren't working after a different problem I was having and i'm wondering if I touched a wrong setting in alfa. I didn't have the dash apart so I couldn't see it being wiring. Possibly a fuse if someone knows what fuse controls that? everything else in the entire truck is functioning fine. 2015 ram 3500 SLT

* the trailer brake works, just not the push buttons *
There is a fuse on the 1500s that's F87 that for the trailer brake controller and Steering Column Control Module, maybe check that?

Kevin97ggg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There is a fuse on the 1500s that's F87 that for the trailer brake controller and Steering Column Control Module, maybe check that?
Just took a look at mostly every fuse with anything to do with inside the cab and they all look good, i'm leaning more towards something I might've done in alfaobd.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If I get a passenger seat that now has power adjustment buttons can I enable the features with Alfa? Or would I also need more wiring to the seat?
My driver seat has all the power functions so just wondered if I’m able to enable it to work if I get a powered seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you run power to it it will work. No need for Alfa.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Got back from dealership,Truck had 5 recalls on it,one was updating truck computer,Only recall that didn't require them doing updates was the tailgate recall.I was nervous about all my settings being restored to factory,my express is upgraded to almost a Laramie.Power fold mirrors,heated wheel etc.Everything was perfect.Nothing changed,no lights came on for led lights etc,All seat settings on radio was perfect.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got back from dealership,Truck had 5 recalls on it,one was updating truck computer,Only recall that didn't require them doing updates was the tailgate recall.I was nervous about all my settings being restored to factory,my express is upgraded to almost a Laramie.Power fold mirrors,heated wheel etc.Everything was perfect.Nothing changed,no lights came on for led lights etc,All seat settings on radio was perfect.
You were definitely fortunate that none of your recalls involved the BCM or you would have definitely lost all your BCM changes and the truck would have reverted to it's stock configuration.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

aimvee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I get a passenger seat that now has power adjustment buttons can I enable the features with Alfa? Or would I also need more wiring to the seat?
My driver seat has all the power functions so just wondered if I’m able to enable it to work if I get a powered seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And other guy replaced his passenger seat with power and it worked right away on its own

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Kenny Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the alfaobd and I was wondering about how to turn on the courtesy lights on my mirrors and change the voltage to make them brighter and I actually change one driver door module but the passenger they didn't have them so it will be the factory 1 and the truck had no tow mirrors on it

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the alfaobd and I was wondering about how to turn on the courtesy lights on my mirrors and change the voltage to make them brighter and I actually change one driver door module but the passenger they didn't have them so it will be the factory 1 and the truck had no tow mirrors on it
There are two variants of the door module. The only difference is one supports the power fold option and one doesn't. Other than that they are identical so you don't need to change them just to install Tow Mirrors or blinker/ puddle lights. To turn the courtesy/puddle lights you need to go into the Doors section with the Alfa Tool and enable the (Approach Lights Present) setting. Your mirrors should also have the turn signal feature and you can enable it as well if you want by enabling the (Mirror Turn Signal Present) code. I'm sure you could probably change the voltage settings with the tool but I've never done it so I can't give you any advice on that.

Kenny Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are two variants of the door module. The only difference is one supports the power fold option and one doesn't. Other than that they are identical so you don't need to change them just to install Tow Mirrors or blinker/ puddle lights. To turn the courtesy/puddle lights you need to go into the Doors section with the Alfa Tool and enable the (Approach Lights Present) setting. Your mirrors should also have the turn signal feature and you can enable it as well if you want by enabling the (Mirror Turn Signal Present) code. I'm sure you could probably change the voltage settings with the tool but I've never done it so I can't give you any advice on that.

Thank you for the information great appreciate it.

So if I change the original door module back in the door I can still turn these options on with alfaobd

Shugarrckbx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The answer is yes.I installed factory tow mirrors from a 2500,on to my 1500 and used the factory door modules and turned on puddle lights and turn signals , no problem, Rick's ram is correct. As the same as he said tho I never adjusted any voltage, was fine the way it is, no problems..

Last edited:

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I am currently installing tow mirrors on my 1500 and trying to enable the door handle backlighting. In the door module, top right blue connector, shouldn't that #3 pin give me the power for running lights.
Jimmy is sending me another harness but if I understand correctly that pin supplies the run light power.
I did turn it on in Alfa but still no power.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
You were definitely fortunate that none of your recalls involved the BCM or you would have definitely lost all your BCM changes and the truck would have reverted to it's stock configuration.

I tell you Rick I was sweating picking up that truck because guy told me one of recalls was bcm update but I don't see it on the printout sheet they gave me when I picked it up.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I hope some of you may shed some light on my ongoing project. Installing tow mirrors from Boost Auto, power folding to replace my stock power folding mirrors. All the functions work as the mirrors themselves go and I really like the fact that when the mirrors are flipped up/out for towing the adjustment features work as they should. The issue I am having is I wanted to mod the turn signal lights to act as running/turn signals lights. Now here are the issues:

1st I do not want to tap into any wires because the truck is under warranty. I don’t want to give FCA any reason to void a warranty as I have 5 years to go.

2nd I chose a harness from Dude’s Diesel which will avoid any splicing any wires but the first set is not working.

I am not totally sure of where the power for the running lights are coming from. The harness in question has two extra wires that I needed to pin into an existing connection in the door module. I also have to use Alfa to turn on certain functions so the turn light has power for as a running light. Those show as activated. Now I was instructed to run power to the two wires and was able to confirm the light did not function as a running light. Now I also confirmed that where that wire module plugs in, that #3 pin that I believe is to supply power for the running light does not show energized.

So my question is, does the power for the running light come from that pin in the door module OR does it from the wires (harness) that attaches to that top right connection?

Jimmy feels the harness is bad and sending a replacement but the fact is I was planning a trip south to pull my toy hauler the week of the 17th and I need to get this issue behind me. I have been on this issue for over a week now and I am just about to give up. I have made 4 changes to the BMC with Alfa so I feel that part is correct, but I am tired of pulling door panels.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope some of you may shed some light on my ongoing project. Installing tow mirrors from Boost Auto, power folding to replace my stock power folding mirrors. All the functions work as the mirrors themselves go and I really like the fact that when the mirrors are flipped up/out for towing the adjustment features work as they should. The issue I am having is I wanted to mod the turn signal lights to act as running/turn signals lights. Now here are the issues:

1st I do not want to tap into any wires because the truck is under warranty. I don’t want to give FCA any reason to void a warranty as I have 5 years to go.

2nd I chose a harness from Dude’s Diesel which will avoid any splicing any wires but the first set is not working.

I am not totally sure of where the power for the running lights are coming from. The harness in question has two extra wires that I needed to pin into an existing connection in the door module. I also have to use Alfa to turn on certain functions so the turn light has power for as a running light. Those show as activated. Now I was instructed to run power to the two wires and was able to confirm the light did not function as a running light. Now I also confirmed that where that wire module plugs in, that #3 pin that I believe is to supply power for the running light does not show energized.

So my question is, does the power for the running light come from that pin in the door module OR does it from the wires (harness) that attaches to that top right connection?

Jimmy feels the harness is bad and sending a replacement but the fact is I was planning a trip south to pull my toy hauler the week of the 17th and I need to get this issue behind me. I have been on this issue for over a week now and I am just about to give up. I have made 4 changes to the BMC with Alfa so I feel that part is correct, but I am tired of pulling door panels.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Note this is for my 2017, Im not sure if (how) different the 2019 would be, although the connector view website shows the 2019 as the same as mine:

Looking at connector views for each door module connector (for Drivers side), there is only one pin #3 that might be power-related. It is on connector C5 and is labelled as "Door ambient light feed driv". Pin 9 of the same connector is the "return" feed. So, Im guessing C5 is the right one BUT it might not do anything if your truck didnt have ambient lighting OR you need to enable something else in Alfa. Which jives with Dude's Diesel installation instructions...

As long as you enabled the correct settings (Door map pocket LED present, Door courtesy lamps present, Door handle LED present), it might take some time for them to actually enable since yours is 2018 or newer. From what it looks like, to me the power is supposed to come from those pins on the door module.

EDIT: something else to check...it sounds dumb, but Ive seen modules where not every pin was present on the actual module. So you could plug your new wire into pin 3 of the connector, but there was no pin 3 on the module so it wouldnt connect to anything anyway. Something to check (although youd need to pull the door panel and unplug the connection to do so)

Last edited:

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks for responding. I have been told NO difference in my 2019 Classic to the 18 and earlier and I have enabled the 3 settings that you posted... actually twice. I went back and disabled and went through the steps, 1 at a time cycling the key and open/closing door when I re-enabled. When I sent a message to Jimmy his response is the circuit is live but when I touch the pin in the door module it has no power. He also said this could be that since the circuit is not complete, the computer is showing a fault and shut down the circuit.
I have messaged this guy day and night, weekends as late as 9 pm and he has responded. I quite frankly never seen customer service quite like this before, exceptional is an understatement.
The #3 pin I speak of is in the top right connection which has a blue cover on the connector. The red wire in the harness (from Dude's Diesel) goes into position #3 on that connector.
I am just hoping this mod turns out and was hoping to see if any others with the Classic 2019 model has solved this issue.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for responding. I have been told NO difference in my 2019 Classic to the 18 and earlier and I have enabled the 3 settings that you posted... actually twice. I went back and disabled and went through the steps, 1 at a time cycling the key and open/closing door when I re-enabled. When I sent a message to Jimmy his response is the circuit is live but when I touch the pin in the door module it has no power. He also said this could be that since the circuit is not complete, the computer is showing a fault and shut down the circuit.
I have messaged this guy day and night, weekends as late as 9 pm and he has responded. I quite frankly never seen customer service quite like this before, exceptional is an understatement.
The #3 pin I speak of is in the top right connection which has a blur cover on the connector.
I am just hoping this mod turns out and was hoping to see if any others with the Classic 2019 model has solved this issue.

jimmy07 = Dude's Diesel?

I can vouch for his knowledge and communication for sure. We've chatted about my own projects and he has always been knowledgeable, accurate and prompt. I would defer to whatever he says over what I came up with :)

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
jimmy07 = Dude's Diesel?

I can vouch for his knowledge and communication for sure. We've chatted about my own projects and he has always been knowledgeable, accurate and prompt. I would defer to whatever he says over what I came up with :)

I am hoping my replacement harness which is in Detroit's mail center now gets here tomorrow. He is sure that is the issue, so with your endorsement of his knowledge and from what I have seen his dedicated customer support I feel that I will get these issues solved

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
jimmy07 = Dude's Diesel?

Jimmy07 sells his kits thru Dude's.

Jimmy07 is a awesome person, dealt with him also.

2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Extang Full tilt tonneau
Nitro Ridge Grappler LT295/70R18 on Mayhem rims.
Added aux switches
KC LED SPOTS and FLOODS
MORIMOTO LED head and tail lites

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am hoping my replacement harness which is in Detroit's mail center now gets here tomorrow. He is sure that is the issue, so with your endorsement of his knowledge and from what I have seen his dedicated customer support I feel that I will get these issues solved

I can pop my panel tomorrow am if you like?

Also you have also turned diller all the way up also, just to verify?

Let me know.

2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Extang Full tilt tonneau
Nitro Ridge Grappler LT295/70R18 on Mayhem rims.
Added aux switches
KC LED SPOTS and FLOODS
MORIMOTO LED head and tail lites