AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you set your LEDs in alphaobd, will it hurt to leave resistors on too? I've done both and still got parking brake out error..

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I have 33 us gal. mine shows 125.0000 liters

You do need bypass. I'm using Zautomotive SGB module
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw/

They also sell cable, but it's pain to install it, for few dollars cheaper.

You also need something like OBDLink. I'm using OBDLinkMX+
Okay, where did you get your OBDLinkMX+ from, Amazon also do it matter if I have a 2018 3500 is it one size fit all?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Okay, where did you get your OBDLinkMX+ from, Amazon also do it matter if I have a 2018 3500 is it one size fit all?

I purchased it directly from them, from their web site. It was $10 cheaper than Amazon, But took longer.

There many different 'Brands' but from search forums here and other site. obdlink seemed to most reliable.

OBD-II port is standard, so it will work with any vehicle with OBD-II, Old ones used OBD-I

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Thank you sir.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got 2014 ram. I've got 1 resistor on each tailight. I have also set my setting in alphaobd and I am still getting parking light out error. Do I need more resistors or should I just take the 2 off since I updated to led in alphaobd? I didn't think it would matter but I can't get rid of this error code..

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've got 2014 ram. I've got 1 resistor on each tailight. I have also set my setting in alphaobd and I am still getting parking light out error. Do I need more resistors or should I just take the 2 off since I updated to led in alphaobd? I didn't think it would matter but I can't get rid of this error code..

No clue. But I did see video of someone saying they took out the resistors afterwards.
Can't make it worse if you are getting error code.

Higgy187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
that’s not entirely true we have successively changed it with Alpha mini times there is a serious issue though if you only have one chance to change it and then it stays permanently after that
I just need to know how to change it back on a stock 5th gen that alfaobd was used to change to a value not knowing that the value was metric not imperial. Truck only does 65mph now.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I own a 2013 tradesman and am looking for a way to activate the keyless entry for it. Has anyone does this yet with AlfaOBD? Dealer says it is just a sales code they could add to activate it, so I decided to ask here first. Thanks in advance for any help

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remove the tail light resistors if you set your lights to LED in alfa. This same issue drove me insane for months until I did this. Everytime I hit the brakes I got a taillight out error until I removed the resistors.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remove the tail light resistors if you set your lights to LED in alfa. This same issue drove me insane for months until I did this. Everytime I hit the brakes I got a taillight out error until I removed the resistors.
I could not get them to work, I turned off led, turned on led , off,on, off,on finally after the annoying error dinging put me in the madhouse , I put a 2nd resistor on the middle wire, and it all went away. I have no idea why, but I know I tried every combination possible for last few weeks..

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the trailer brake and auxiliary buttons but now my traction control and tow haul do not work, please help

Dschweiger15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm probably beating a dead horse here. I've scrolled on a few pages here out of the 1388 pages and I'm still at a loss. I've researched and watched videos, went through the app trying to figure out what's going on and still lost. I'm sure MANY people have had the same issues and got them resolved and I'm hoping someone can either point me in the right direction or help me out. I've got a 2015 ram 1500 tradesman 5.7l hemi. Changed all bulbs to LED's. Brake lights LUMINATE when I hit the brakes but the "running" lights won't come on. Had resistors connected but since removed them. Had the hyper blink going for a while with the light out message, but once I changed to the LED option in the app, that all went away. How do I get BOTH to work? The brake running lights along with the turn signal lights? Reverse lights work fine. My headlights work everyone in a while. When they go out, they flash on and off 2-3 times and then stay off. That is completely random. If anyone has the quick fix and don't mind beating a dead horse with me, I would greatly appreciate it!...

straghttruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Please Read!!!
Supported years: 2013 to 2018
Make a backup of your original BCM configuration before making any changes. While we have a few BCM configs to compare with, there is nothing like comparing to your own pre-changes.

Instructions:
Uploading System ID (BCM) Information: Thank you Mpgrimm2
To upload your System ID information (BCM) go to the "Tools" icon in the upper right corner. From there select "Upload to Google Drive", it will ask you to link to Google Drive. Link your Google Drive to Alfa. Select "Upload to Google Drive" and "Upload Faults and Status Log". Then select "Body_Chrysler_Info". Name the file to upload whatever you wish. Done! Now you can go to your Google Drive and read the system info a little easier.

For viewing the information directly on the app, go to the bottom and select the battery icon once a connection has been made. Then select Read System ID. It should start populating below. Form what I have seen the Alfa programming tool keeps a record by date of all changes in the BCM from time of first connection.

WORKAROUND UNTIL DEV HAS FIXED POST #8734 and 8735 Thank you @enolS

Only make changes you are sure of.
There are quite a few setting in the AlfaOBD software that are just not for us Ram owners. What you will find in Alfa are code settings for most FCA vehicles. If it makes sense and if another Ram has it from factory, then chances are you can set it. You must also keep in mind not only code settings will get you what you want, you will also need the proper hardware installed. Alfa is not magical!!!

Hello all! Below is a list of known working codes when using AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX Bluetooth with Android tablet/phone. This thread is to get the information out about this program/tool and its powerful interface. Ricks Ram, STecoD, Mpgrimm2 and I have been able to activate the following codes with no ill effect. I personally have been in contact with the developer several times and he is very willing to help and is pushing updates fairly regularly.

AlfaOBD is only available to Android and Windows platform. There is NO iPhone support.

AlfaOBD
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AlfaOBD.AlfaOBD

OBDLink MX Bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ

MX vs MX+
***The MX+ is supposed to be slightly faster, comes with Enhanced Diagnostics Add-on and works with iOS devices. The price difference is only like $10. If you already have the MX the only major reason to change to the MX+ is if you want to use it with iOS(There is no AlfaOBD on iOS).*** Thanks @crash68

While there are other ways of connecting to your BCM with AlfaOBD, the above OBDII adapter has been tested and is preferred.

Before attempting any of this be sure to skim through the instructions/help pdf on getting started.
ANDROID http://www.alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Android_Help.pdf
WINDOWS http://alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Help.pdf

DeereGuy: In case anyone with a 2018 RAM would like to make changes to their truck, we have just officially announced a security bypass harness that will let alfaOBD and other tools work with the 2018s.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2018-ram-security-module-bypass.125133/#post-1801395

Please make notes for every code you set!!!
If there is a problem this will give you a starting point in which to go back and change what went wrong. We have found nothing in the codes listed below that is not reversible. While it is possible to select multiple codes at once, it is recommended to set one code at a time then let the truck sleep 3 to 5 minutes. When I first started this I noticed some of my codes didn't take right away. I believe it is because I was not giving it enough time.

Known Working List This link provides a working list of codes that will be updated periodically with new additions.

Write-ups for a few of the commonly sought after changes in Alfa. Thank you @1500ram12

Confirmation of DRL CSM showing on RA2 radio settings.

Original Post by @G-Ride990 ... Here and Here

Thank you @ramrocker for locating the above!

Shared BCM Configurations

Earlier Versions of AlfaOBD Thank you @Lawsuit11

Index of How To's and info: Thank you to all those who have contributed!!!
Android getting started

Windows getting started

Tire size adjustments (Easy online calculator)

TPMS

Fob Programming Walk Through

Obtaining 4 digit pin from reluctant dealer

Differences on 4 and 5 digit pin code.

Mirror info for tilt in reverse function

Adding Rain Sense Wipers

Adding OEM Cargo Camera with M2Mods Harness

BW 44-44 to BW 44-45 Transfer Case Swap

2006-2012 Thread on Alfa usage

Factory Keyless Enter N Go

Remove Air Suspension Warning (Disables air suspension)

Adding Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Heated/Vented Seats and Wheel Posts 6959 to 6968

Adding Front LED Turn/Park Lamps

Odometer Correction Post 7871 Thanks @Lawsuit11 (Proceed at your own risk! Still not perfect as the correction is slightly off in the tenths)

Engine Hour Correction Post 7910 Thanks @Lawsuit11 (Proceed at your own risk!)

Do not use an app called SRTactivator. It could possibly leave your truck inoperable or at very least needing to have the BCM flashed at the dealer. It is strongly advised to not change the "Vehicle Line" or "Vehicle Brand". Be very careful in making changes to settings you are unsure of or that have not been tested.

FYI - AlfaOBD needs to be connected to your truck in order for you to be able to see all the settings. While most of them will show, you will not have several other as well as all the CSMs.

Ricks Ram: "I wanted to mention it might be a good idea for guys to leave positive comments in the Google Play Store or wherever you buy the alphaOBD tool from and mention that you're using it for your RAM so the developer will see how many of us who are using the tool are from the Ram community. I'm thinking it might help us in the future as he refines a tool when he knows how many guys are using it for Ram trucks since it was primarily used for Alfa Romeos and other cars prior to the Ram pickup.

I'll continue to update as I find new working codes or fixes to issues as given to me.

Special thanks out to Ricks Ram, STecoD and Mpgrimm2!! I don't believe I missed anything here but if I did, please let me know and I will edit. Thanks!
new to forum will alphaobd work on a 2021 1500 classic

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
new to forum will alphaobd work on a 2021 1500 classic
yes and no
1st you need a security bypass cable and once you have that is will work
some functionality does NOT work as there are changes as 4th gen adopted 5th gen parts

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm probably beating a dead horse here. I've scrolled on a few pages here out of the 1388 pages and I'm still at a loss. I've researched and watched videos, went through the app trying to figure out what's going on and still lost. I'm sure MANY people have had the same issues and got them resolved and I'm hoping someone can either point me in the right direction or help me out. I've got a 2015 ram 1500 tradesman 5.7l hemi. Changed all bulbs to LED's. Brake lights LUMINATE when I hit the brakes but the "running" lights won't come on. Had resistors connected but since removed them. Had the hyper blink going for a while with the light out message, but once I changed to the LED option in the app, that all went away. How do I get BOTH to work? The brake running lights along with the turn signal lights? Reverse lights work fine. My headlights work everyone in a while. When they go out, they flash on and off 2-3 times and then stay off. That is completely random. If anyone has the quick fix and don't mind beating a dead horse with me, I would greatly appreciate it!...
this sounds like a NEW one
LED's normally cause "light out" on DIC but continue to work normally
I would revert the truck BACK to Halogen and make sure the truck still works normally OR if the issues continue
also check the fuses for a blown fuse - I had a Chevy that LED lights would blow a BCM fuse when used as dome light / nothing was shorting out BUT???? - different LED and all was good / original LED worked in friends car but not the Avalanche

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the trailer brake and auxiliary buttons but now my traction control and tow haul do not work, please help
did you use alpha to program? or just installed?
if yes doublecheck every setting you made / have and check for ABS codes in ABS module + BCM for error codes
if no inspect your install for loose plugs in dash
also try re installing the original switch panel without the AUX+trailer brake and see if traction + tow/haul starts working

Average J0e

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Lone Star SLT 1500 Rambox
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
From what I was able to determine back when I looked into the Nav-In-Motion settings, it's an old setting that, while still present in the BCM, the newer radio firmware versions ignore.

-K
On my 2017, I can enter addresses while moving with the voice command. I may have been thru the latest radio firmware upgrade. Check and make sure you have the latest firmware for your radio. This link will help.
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

I hope it helps!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
On my 2017, I can enter addresses while moving with the voice command. I may have been thru the latest radio firmware upgrade. Check and make sure you have the latest firmware for your radio. This link will help.
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

I hope it helps!
That's been active all along, the setting that the OP wanted was the one that allows entry via the touchscreen by the passenger while in motion, which was disabled many firmware versions ago.

-K

And if you can get the voice command entry to actually understand you, you must have near perfect enunciation. :)

RamGearbox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seeking ALFA info on a 2020 Ram...
Trying to graph TCC apply/slippage.
Anyone know if the any version of the alfa will do this?
Thanks