Alfaobd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Hey everyone. Let me start by saying I am in no way shape or form a car guy. Sorry, but I am not. I have just done a private purchase of a beautiful 2104 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8Hemi 2wd. Obviously it came with a key fob to open and lock doors and a panic button. The previous own also gave me a spare key, not a fob, a cut key only to unlock the door. So here are my questions. I did buy an after market fob off Amazon. I put the spare key in and it does nothing at all. However the key by itself when in the ignition does turn on to accessories only but does nothing when trying to turn truck on. Question#1 - what does that mean and can that key be programmed to work with a new fob?

I obviously would like to get a second key fob up and working correctly, maybe even a third. Anyways I have done a little research and I see dealers can charge quite a bit of money for this service. However I now know they also have a 4 digit pin that I need in order to program any extra keys. Question #2. Will any Dodge dealer be able to provide me with that pin number?

I am also seeing it looks like the cheapest way to program key fobs is with Alfaobd. I am considering purchasing that just for the sole purpose of programming a spare key or two. I see it also needs a bluetooth OBD2 scanner to work. Question #3. Will any cheap bluetooth scanner work?. I know there are preferred scanners costing over $100. I would like to avoid paying that much if possible.

Let me know your thoughts please

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've moved this thread into the 4th Gen. If you want to learn (almost) everything there is to know about AlphaOBD and RAMs, go here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

There are links to instructions for many functions within the first few posts, then thousands of updates and discussions after that.

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Thank you for letting me know. I did read the Alfaobd link you supplied and it did have the instructions I am looking for for programming key fobs. Hopefully my other questions will get answered as well.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A locksmith can help your situation, and for much less then a dealer .

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
So as I am researching more about Alfaobd I see you need to purchase the solution for about $50. No problem. But it also requires a bluetooth obd2 scanner at about $110. I get that. So I would be at about $160 to use Alfaobd to program one key. Much better deal that a dealer would charge I bet

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likely a wash on the cost, if all you ever want to do is program a key. You can go to locksmiths and some other places, "batteries, bulbs, and beyond, maybe?) and buy a key programmed much cheaper than the dealer. Where AlphaOBD pays for itself is if you want to do anything else later. Remote start? Add a factory trailer brake controller? Change wheel and tire combo size, but still have an accurate speedo and odometer? All those things and many more can be accomplished with Alpha. If all you ever want is a second working key, just call around and find a good deal on it locally, but make sure they are selling you an OEM key, I've heard bad stuff about a lot of the knock-offs.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not trying to put you down in any way...... but if you are not a "car guy".... you would probably be safer to just let someone program a key for you
Alpha is great but you can make mistakes that are hard to fix...

Oh and welcome to tha forum!!!!

JC4041

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "spare key" is it just a plain key or is it a chunky black key?

_nc_ohc=opSi7QLrPgsAX-TEWuy&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regarding spare key fobs, I've had very good luck with Aupoko GQ4-53T Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob ($14.99 on Amazon). I've programmed three of them using alphaobd and they all worked great (2014 & 2016 Ram 1500's). Your 4-digit PIN can also be displayed with the current version of alphaobd so no need to go to the dealer. The command to look up the PIN (Read PIN) is on the same screen as the "Program Ignition FOBIKS Baseline System" command. It's down towards the bottom of the list of commands.

As far as an inexpensive OBD scanner tool, I use the Obdator brand ELM327 OBD OBDII Code Reader ($13.99 on Amazon) and have had very good luck with it. Figured it was worth the risk to start out with an inexpensive one rather than spend close to $100 and I'm glad I did.

One thing you should be aware of is many hardware stores will not cut the key from a keyfob purchased online. I ended up cutting my own key using a hand file and Dremel. Really not that hard if you take your time and use your other key for the pattern.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
One thing you should be aware of is many hardware stores will not cut the key from a keyfob purchased online. I ended up cutting my own key using a hand file and Dremel. Really not that hard if you take your time and use your other key for the pattern.
That would be like asking me to paint the Mona Lisa.........LoL

https://youtu.be/Qujo_bADZ_0

Bsbecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alpha obd is amazing. I have been able to upgrade my 2014 express regular cab Night Edition from basic to wow with it.
Upgrades include.
Remote start, premium cluster, 8.4 inch radio, factory anti theft and universal window down.
All info was found on the forum and you tube but as others have said. Use caution because definitely can mess things up.
Sorry had to brag a little.

Attachments

• 20211008_125827.jpg
    20211008_125827.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210923_183028.jpg
    20210923_183028.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210925_112359.jpg
    20210925_112359.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211008_100729.jpg
    20211008_100729.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 23

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be like asking me to paint the Mona Lisa.........LoL

https://youtu.be/Qujo_bADZ_0
I watched the video... The Gymkana 994 electronic key making machine would have made it much easier! I'll be the first to admit, the key I cut/filed by hand doesn't look exactly like the factory key but it does work. Fortunately, the manual key sees very little use. Believe it or not, I know some people that didn't even realize there was a key inside the fob...

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Hey Co-Pilot. No offense at all taken. What you gave me was information and that is helpful. Thank you

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as I am researching more about Alfaobd I see you need to purchase the solution for about $50. No problem. But it also requires a bluetooth obd2 scanner at about $110.
I purchased a $13 ELM-327 Bluetooth adapter off of Amazon and it works perfectly fine with my 2017 RAM Rebel and my wife's 2016 Durango. I haven't tried lots with it, but I have installed and enabled a brake controller, turned off fog light dropout and enabled ART splash screen on radio. I have also used it to pull all codes and read many sensors.

Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner OBDATOR ELM327 Automotive OBD OBDII Code Reader Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android PC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DWH8J...abc_H7AXF0A3ME0GHEANK9S1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

18Aries

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello and welcome! If your not a car guy are you a computer guy? In my opinion alpha is an awesome tool! Well worth the money as I purchased the preferred Bluetooth interface. I’ve added multiple upgrades and key fobs as well.
If your comfortable with computers I think you’ll be ok.

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure, but the more expensive "OBDLink MX+" for $120 on Amazon may be able to connect to more computer modules than the $13 Obdator ELM327 from Amazon.

However, I have the Obdator ELM 327 and can confirm it has no problem connecting to the "Body Computer" and the "Radio Frequency Hub (RFH)". Of course, the "Body Computer" is where most of the changes are made and the "Radio Frequency Hub (RFH)" is where the keyfob programming and PIN retrieval is located.