Alignment specs for leveled/preload "lifts." Post 'em!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey ya'll.

I just installed Icon Stage 2 with Delta Joint UCAs, myself. Front got about 2.5+ inch of lift (don't have stock measurements) and about 1.5 in back. I have about 1" of rake.

Per ICON, the Delta Joint UCAs allow for maximum caster. I drove for 2 days and about 80 miles on all types of terrain after install, then got an alignment. I only have local shops in my rural town. It was $150 for all around align.

Prior to the appointment, I got some spec suggestions from forum members to give to the technician, which I did. The tech only partly listened. Not happy with the numbers on paper...but the truth is, I don't know how much any difference in the numbers actually affect things.

I asked for:
Caster between 4-5*
Camber at 0* or slightly negative (like -0.1* or -0.2*)
Toe at whatever works after that for straight driving

See photo below to what he set them at. (The RED is because his program is based on factory specs. The tech did not adjust the desired values in the computer beforehand based on my suggestions.)

In addition, when driving straight, the wheel is ever so slightly turned to the left. With no driver input, the truck seems to veer right a little, but I haven't found a great road without crowning to really test.

I'm looking for opinions on my numbers. I drive highway on long trips, local off road (Eastern Sierra Nevada dirt, whoops, rocks, mountain access roads), and Death Valley/desert washboard.

Also looking for you to post your alignment specs if you have any sort of level kit (spacers or preloaded springs etc). Feel free to post your kit and height as well.

Thanks all! Plan now is to drive it for another week to encourage more settling, do some research and possibly take it back ASAP if I feel it needs immediate changing. Otherwise, I'll likely drive for about 1000miles, then take it in anyway for re-align, as the suspension should have settled fully by then.

IMG_20190213_165053.jpg IMG_20190213_153818.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The steering is prob crooked because the tech was in a rush and didn't center the steering properly. since he has to readjust to fix his job, mind as well telling the dude to redo the camber, anywhere between -0.2 to 0, if both can be -0.2 even better.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The steering is prob crooked because the tech was in a rush and didn't center the steering properly. since he has to readjust to fix his job, mind as well telling the dude to redo the camber, anywhere between -0.2 to 0, if both can be -0.2 even better.

I showed him your specs and he thought negative camber was realy weird and wondered how yours drove straight. Haha.

What's the benefit of slightly negative camber? I was thinking slightly positive numbers may be good for a new suspension because as it settles, the camber will go down?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I showed him your specs and he thought negative camber was realy weird and wondered how yours drove straight. Haha.

What's the benefit of slightly negative camber? I was thinking slightly positive numbers may be good for a new suspension because as it settles, the camber will go down?
Go figures, look how he left yours running... Is not like you are asking for -3* camber, and still race cars drive straight :)
-0.2* in his machine could be 0* at another shop. Is just a neutral camber for offroading/tire wear as you go up in size. Tell him my truck drives straight and my tires are wearing down flat.